Introducing Digitakt

I hear you. I think a lot of this comes down to creative process, and we all look at possible tools with the idea of how they would or wouldn’t fit in with our own unique processes.

For many, including myself, the saying “limitations breed creativity” rings particularly true.

For instance, without the 127 sample slot limitation of a Rytm project (and probably a Digitakt project), sample chains would have been much less necessary and/or likely as a workaround.
Yet their existence opens up many unique creative opportunities. Combing an LFO on sample STRT with p-locked “SMP” sample position makes things much more interesting for those producing experimental/idm styles.
A single LFO per voice means relying on things like trigless trigs more for added modulation. The result sounds different than a 2nd LFO, and helps to define the sonic picture in a different way than a 2nd LFO would.

These are just two examples. I could go on with how dub reggae, hip hop, musique concrete, house, and acid jazz were all defined sonically according to the limitations the pioneers of those genres were working around.

My hope for the Digitakt is that it has limitations that are unique enough to inspire users to do new and interesting things.

3 Likes

Not pre-ordering anything…
Way too early to be handing cash over, even if I had any!

5 Likes

Orange functions should work with Function. :wink:
I hope there will be something new instead of restrictions, compare to existing Elektron products (except conditional trigs for midi tracks…)
Can’t see anything any exotic orange functions.
We’ll need more pages.

So I’m good friends with Hector and asked him why he wasn’t involved with Digitakt launch - I’ll quote him directly:
“FFs they’re having a laugh aren’t they? I’ve got a reputation in this business as a serious actor who does serious work. A 650 bucks sequencer with an SP404 strapped on minus the mojomatic effects doesn’t get me appearing in your darkly comic promos mate. Frankly, I told them to go fck themselves - I mean it’s 2017 right? I asked them where the innovation was “cos it’s all digital” and they muttered something about poncey midi out trig conditions - errr, right, for 650 clams - cheap bstards - not on my frikin watch - I hear Waldorf are launching a digital drum machine, those boys really know how to do digital - what year is this?”.

Don’t shoot the messenger guys.

11 Likes

Yeah I think this is too subjective for there to be any point in debating it really :wink: Everything in this kind of argument can be flipped either way depending on the point of view/requirement…

Like my favourite creative things about OT are Scenes, P-locks and Rec trigs…Features. And the features that ALLOW you to do cool stuff with slices (making the sample chains useful) etc…

John Lennon apparently said something like ‘I’m an artist, give me a tuba and I’ll get something out of it’… We basically do that with whatever gear we have. All of us…

I’d just rather not be forced to play a tuba when in my head I hear a violin… And even if I have both tuba and a violin to choose from, that still presents new limitations. Like, ‘damn, I don’t have a piano’. So that might provoke some forced kind of creativity. But at least I don’t have to play the damn tuba :wink: I’ve begun verging on nonsense…

Think it’s best I bail on the thread til theres final info on DT :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::bomb:

do you see and button labeld function , i dont, from the color scheme I see only the rec button which is orange. so my guess the rec button has a double function.

The Func button is orange like your shirt… :slight_smile:
Maybe your shirt is pink, depending on white balance…

3 Likes

take all back, i am blind, need new and better glasses

2 Likes

Oh right, getcha!
That is actually very funny!
Hector swinging his dick pretending to live the thug life…

I hope there is real time transposing in the sequencer.

But then they would have to change the labeling on the screen to 8 voice melody computer with sampling.

Really looking forward to hearing these digital drum engines. I love my AR and hopefully this would go well with it. But, that would only be the case if there was significant differences with the digital machines.

Still, looks pretty cool whatever.

I just like to think of him trying to ‘get hard’ like Will Farrell…
Dawg

I hate, that while AK/4 could transpose the sequence, the Rytm couldn’t follow it, thus ruining otherwise perfect pair for me.

I love some melodic sounds on the Rytm, but no transpose -> no use in live sequencing.

I use a scene for transposing samples and synths on Rytm.

6 Likes

me too.

an experiment with this… all samples on the same track, one big sample… scenes define start and end of the sample. Works very well. (track is just an experiment)
https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic/other-lives-fair-weather-remix

3 Likes

i love perf and scenes on rytm
but…

as mentioned before… pin option for pattern select will do a lot.
this can kind of create ‘scene’ options too…

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like it will be much use in live situation, especially if you are improvising the music from scratch?