Introducing Digitakt

You missed/bent the original point. But all cool :slight_smile: Iā€™m tired and confusing even myself. Forget I wrote anything :wink:

2 Likes

Me too :joy:

I think iā€™m one of those who lead people to make more music, than review specifications or tools. I donā€™t ceased to claim this idea anywayā€¦ Making music no matter what ā€œthe toolsā€ isā€¦

Anyway i think this Digitakt as a lot inside to give and for the price it should be an insta-buy for a lot of people. I really not worried. First Sampler with Overbridge + Midi Sequencer with Trig Conditions only that on the paper is wow very cool. Half the Price but clearly not half the power so i guess at first thereā€™s no debate i think.

Sticky note : I donā€™t care if people is not agreed with me, more i hope it is ! we all different, and think different. Thatā€™s great for people coming here to learn or understand things. They can make their own choice based on all of that. I try to be as honest as possible, I am not a collector of hardware, there is only music that existing for me at the end. If I give good advice it is very good but I can also be mistaken or In my way of expressing certain things as english is not my mother tongue. Everyone is wrong in life

And when i say what i said i was generalized things and i was off-topicā€¦ because i was not talking exclusively about the Digitakt.

1 Like

I still feel like we are in the ā€œteaseā€ phase with this product. Weā€™re not supposed to have our opinions entirely formed because they havenā€™t finished telling the story yet.

6 Likes

100% agreed

The drum computer thing is confusing people into thinking this does synthesis. Its a drum computer & sampler because it does both: itā€™s a sample based drum machine and its a live sampler. The analog Rytm is not a sampler, it simply plays back samples. the Digitakt does both, it plays back drum samples, but it can sample as well. thatā€™s the distinction. This thing is not a machinedrum or an analog rytm, and i think they would be canabilizing sales of the Rytm if this does synthesis. (even if itā€™s not analog).

That being said, this thing looks really cool, and i can imagine it next to my AR & A4, and all the little synth modules that donā€™t have keybeds or sequencers on board, like my MB33 & Meeblip. And the possibility of sequencing my MB33 and sending the output back into the Digitakt to sample and manipulate (might be speculating here, but I thought Cenk alluded to this) and then send the audio back to my DAW via Overbridge sounds really interesting to me. I think ill get myself a Digitakt and the Heat and hopefully someone will make a two tier rack for them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After hearing Cenk say the midi outs will have trig probabilities, I am sold. Canā€™t wait till April

4 Likes

Trig conditions rule my life.

Its like when I discovered ctrZ

5 Likes

One question I wonder about digitakt will be how it handles mute groups, I like being able to set mutes however I like as on the MPCs. Will I be able to chose which channel mutes which other?

DT is an interesting product. It is a departure from their old direction. It feels as though more business decisions were taken into account in the product design. I wonder, for instance, why not have sample management by USB only, treating the DT as an external hard drive. Why would they need a special app on a computer to drag and drop samples. It could be part of a larger strategy to help sell sample packs. If they had an iTunes like app that made it easy to buy and load samples they could create another revenue stream.

Or they could be using this phase to see what people want in this product, and working on those features first.

Is there special hardware that needs to be present for synthesis to be possible? Or is that just another thing the DSP could offer, if it was supported in hardware. I wonder if they could launch it with just samples, and add synthesis later in a software update.

No but you can assign what tracks you want muted in song mode or if there is a scene mode like the AR you can dictate what tracks you want the volume to drop but not true mute. The AR does have a feature where you can hold function, press all the tracks you want muted and it mutes after you release the function button, thats handy!

Iā€™m assuming for the same reason as the RYTM: Audio interface (streaming audio via USB) and USB mass-media storage are different standards so you have to pick one.

That makes sense. :thup:

my advice , wait till the product is at least released. till then a lot is speculatiosn and hopes etc. also ask myself how do you access the orange functions ? by using rec button ?

I hold out hope its a function they will add as there is no reason for it not to be available on a digital box like this.

absolutely agree with what you think about this matter William. But there is one thing that thwarts the plan here: iā€™m creating videos on Youtube and people would get bored if i they watch 6 Minutes of me touching just two buttons on one machine :wink:

Its also the fact that one wants to get better and better over time. doing more - at the same time. and getting everything under control can really become a overwhelming task at one point. you want to deliver the sound the people want to hear and you want to do a lot of variation at the same time so they get not bored. a single machine with lots of functionality serves better for that purpose.

on the other hand however ā€¦ one could say ā€¦ spending a lot of time in creating the sounds and making them interesting right from the start could already be enough. no need for a lot of movement in the end if the sound is just ā€¦ right :slight_smile: but what is this ā€œrightā€ in the end?! its highly subjective ā€¦

1 Like

It would be a nice feature. At the very least I hope there is a scene feature! I have not seen a dedicated button to indicate there is but that could change. Sceneā€™s can be super creative in the way you drope sounds in your mix. For example instead of instant mute you can make the sound fade with the LFO. IDK trying to think outside the box.

When you see an artist rocking one instrument like say a TR909 they will also have a mixer in the equation. Thats why its vital for instruments to have multiple outputs or at least an internal mixer like the OT. At the end of the day you are really just mixing in and out your sounds as you perform. Unless you are a keyboard virtuoso or finger drumming madman!

1 Like

Sure.

MIDI forever!

And where is Hector in all of this?

3 Likes

4 separate pitches to 4 separate tracks just to play a sample as a chord for instance.

This ^^ itā€™s the 21st Century

1 Like