Introducing Digitakt

I agree with you on all of this, and hope Elektron can see the inherent unreasonability of requiring online DRM over and over for high-end performance instruments. My sense is that lots of people with a dedicated music production computer don’t want it online all the time–but the bigger problem would be getting to the gig, setting up, and then not being able to perform your set because the wifi is down…

To me, since it’s clear they’re doing it, that approach seems like the only way to do it that makes sense. Roland’s like that too with the System-1m, a one-time process, and I can’t think of another method that wouldn’t run the risk of crippling functionality in a way that would make the gear unreliable. I mean, if the Internet is the dongle, that’s not fair to the gear, let alone the user…

yeah that was mentioned.
Pretty sure if you sell on a device, the next person will be able to continue OB Premium.

Thought that there must be some internet authentication handshake once to unlock premium.

But actually if they do it right, all you need is some unlock code from them which is an encrypted version of your device serial number. The app will only need to compare the actual hardware serial from the USB device with the serial embedded in that code. It’s easy and yeah, if done right, relatively safe.

In almost every case you can run 2 at the same me time.
And in case of OB, running 2 instances if I have two of the same machines should be possible. At least I imagine it would :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea, I don’t think it will check the machine’s serial in some database online but actually change something in the machine itself. Elektron can easily change a bit inside the machine somewhere from 0 to 1 to indicate it’s unlocked.

Nice! J1 looks very interesting :sunglasses:

Tear down post here and Flick album here.

think J1 is a debug port of sorts - the analogs have that too. CPU is the same as Rytm.
The interesting chip is the audio codec: http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4621EF

The AK4621 is a high performance 24-bit CODEC that supports up to 192kHz recording and playback. The on-board analog-to-digital converter has a high dynamic range due to AKM’s Enhanced Dual-Bit architecture. The DAC utilizes AKM’s Advanced Multi-Bit architecture that achieves low out-of-band noise and high jitter tolerance through the use of Switched Capacitor Filter (SCF) technology. The AK4621 is ideal for Pro Audio sound cards, Digital Audio Workstations, DVD-R, hard disk, CD-R recording/playback systems, and musical instrument recording.

J1 could be debug, but what’s the sense of having one on every production machine? Usually you only need debug on your development lab box, and at most a production machine would have an unsoldered place for a connector. It’s 26 pins which does correspond to the BDM debug connector for the Coldfire processor though. I realize it’s not an enormous expense, sometimes you’d leave that sort of connector on for the very early run. Likely it’s used for manufacture test and perhaps startup/burn in, not debug. That would make more sense, and that would be my guess.

I’d so much more like to dream it’s some magic mysterious expansion connector though. Actually a factory test connector often does have some interesting signals, and if this is the BDM then it’s got a spec

A Coldfire processor, hmmm, the Digitakt would be awful fun to hack, and at $650 worst case loss i could see doing that. I assume it would be pretty easy to open up the download OS too now that we know it’s a Coldfire processor, and hack it without opening the box.

Yay. I couldn’t figure out how on Earth I loved the Digitakt buttons so much…and it’s because I’ve spent thousands of hours typing on the same buttons.

Eh? I said almost… I can name more than a few wher eyou can run 2 at the same time. Dunno what the point of this discussion is though…

I like how the encoders on the DT are not encoders :sunglasses:

@Jukka I’m not sure you’ve seen this?

source level debugging

Not that one specifically, i’ve not worked with Coldfire in years, but this is really tempting.
Thanks Joshua – it’s added to my Elektron links.

Not every factory sample is loaded in the preset project.

This is probably in this thread already, but :zonked:

How are overlapping MIDI notes handled? On the OT, any new MIDI trig will ‘cancel out’ any currently playing MIDI notes, which kinda sounds like voice stealing on sounds with short release. For example:

trig 1 = 4 note chord with a LEN of 16
trig 5 = 1 note with a LEN of whatever
trig 5 will cause a note-off event for all the notes from trig 1

Doe the DT also behave this way or can you have overlapping MIDI note events? In the example above, this would mean that the note on trig 5 is just added to the note stack from trig 1 instead of just cutting them off.

I don’t believe we’ll reach 10 000 posts today. :disappointed:

Currently the way the DT responds to all midi notes is by freezing.

I have recently watched the Digitakt sonicstate video and I was interested by the pattern change feature that permit to keep mute tracks as you programmed.
I would like to know if this feature is also available on AR or OT ?

Not on OT (don’t think AR either). Pretty nice live performance friendly feature, as the man says.

It’s pretty nice to save the initial mute state in the pattern. Any changes can be discarded with “Reload Pattern”.