Introducing Digitakt

From what I can tell (from DT demos), I prefer the digital filter on the DT to the analog filters on the A4 and RYTM due to the character of the resonance.

2 Likes

My partner actual mentioned how much less noticeable the buttons are to the MD. I play this thing next to her in the living room and sheā€™s not bothered by it. A coffee shop is probably noisy enough the buttons wonā€™t be heard.

[Edit] I play a lot with the chromatic section on the Digitakt so I am clicking keys like a mad man.

1 Like

Maybe a silly question but can it sequence midi tracks and be a slave at the same time ?

I dont know if i am alone but i really dont like the Rytm filters. The filter self oscillate too quickly and there is always that ā€œwhistlingā€ or ringing quality that just hurt my ears when using just a small amount or resonance. Anyway the Digitakt sounds great !

3 Likes

interesting ā€¦ simon touched on this design a while back, certainly a ladder style iirc ā€¦ we do all have our favourite styles of filtering, itā€™s a big taste thing for sure ā€¦ I canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of the OT variant, but Iā€™ve learned to get more joy, especially with a splash of distortion from page 2

no doubt a digital filter in the safe working range can be a musical thing, but Iā€™ve not heard many which go off-piste into extreme resonance in such a convincing and interesting way as you get with analog ā€¦ no doubt there are some tasty software takes out there ā€¦ Arturia make a good couple of variants, the SEM/Prophet is sweet and the Jupiter filter is glorious

I love the MS20 filter arrangement and character, the A4 filter arrangement partially ticks that box for me ā€¦ I like where it goes when it goes wild

One aspect of filters which I cannot get past is those which are gain corrected after resonance, especially the older Nord ones, they sound so limp that way, you add and subtract

Ifind it hard to fault the AR architecture in general, the only gripe being the 7-bit control ā€¦ DT has that side sorted at least, a bit like the A4

See cabinet of curiosity video, lots of midi sequencing there.

2 Likes

Cool, I saw that video of Cenk with the DT next to a whole stack of gear that I thought he was going to sequence via midi.
:grinning:
But then he only sampled from it :sweat_smile:
Maybe the next vid will show off the midi side of things

1 Like

Yes.
Master Sync > Midi In
Midi Out > Sequences

1 Like

From just the angle of external seqeuncing (never mind the sampling), would it be safe to say that the DT can do as much if not more than the Beat Step Pro. Trying to think if I should sell my BSP and contribute the proceeds to a DT.

Off the top of my head:

DT has 8 midi tracks. BSP has 2.
DT has cond trig (?) for external seq. BSP has none.
DT has 16 buttons. BSP has 16 pads.
DT has 8 knobs. BSP has 16 knobs to change gate/velocity/pitch of each step.
BSP can chain up to 16 patterns (64 bars). Not sure how many DT can chain.
Neither can save chains.
DT is polyphonic for external (I think). BSP is monophonic.
DT has some menu diving. BSP has zero menu diving.

One difference (important for some uses, not for others): BSP can output CV/Gate. DT cannot.

1 Like

Thank you sir!
thatā€™s what I figured, just wanted to make sure :nerd_face::+1:t2:

Thanks! The MIDI sequencing looks great. Really immediate and powerful. This is making the wait for my first Elektron box even harder. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

BSPā€™s 2 channels of CV/Gate and 8 drum triggers are not to be sniffed at - if you have stuff that can take all that CV. In fact, itā€™s one of the most compelling features of BSP at the price, if you ask me :smiley:

I donā€™t care much for the BSP sequencing and am hoping to prefer Digitaktā€™s, but I am looking forward to some Digitakt MIDI - CV conversion patching using BSP (as well as Vermona qmi2) here. Very exciting!

3 Likes

Not got a BSP; the A4ā€™s 4 channels of CV/Gate coupled with the Elektron sequencer are enough for me to play around withā€¦ for now.

For those OT users thinking about jumping ship, I will gladly make an offer of exactly $679 USD :writing_hand:

3 Likes

This filter is reeeeeally good IMO.
Resonance doesnā€™t make the sound weaker, nor too uncontrollable. I like the distorsion on top (subtle, not too heavy on gain).

Canā€™t wait to let you hear some acid, dear.
Totally killed the Gas I had for any acid monosynth !

@AdamJay there seems to be no way to save share Kits for now.
But it is possible to save only the Kit part, for now just on the Pattern+Kit a lot, but who knowsā€¦
As you can save the Mute, you can imagine ways to copy paste sounds from 1 pattern to the other while letting your transition loop running I guess.

I need more time with it to see how I can carve several patterns in a row, without stopping.
I have some ideas, I think it might be a bit tricky with the unit aloneā€¦
(hey OT my dear, donā€™t be so jealous, Iā€™ll wipe your dust and let you shake the air againā€¦ Maybe.)

7 Likes

ā€œKnobageggonā€? :wink: Same thing happened to my machine. Contacted the Elektron support, which was kind and lightning fast. Suggested to change the knobs with some pliers - will try that soon.

1 Like

Loving this. Closest to how Iā€™m planning to use mine.

1 Like

Can someone make this please?

Made a quick sketch of an #elektron #digitakt battery pack solution. Would love to see something like this happen. #sampler #battery #drummachine #portable

A post shared by Joost van Brug (@reluctstudio) on May 30, 2017 at 5:24am PDT

17 Likes

this times a billion trillion suns :heart_eyes: