Introducing Digitakt

Has it been determined for certain that there isn’t a song mode, or is that just speculation?

I think the workflow is set up to have the most efficient use of samples, at least when recording in and saving. The larger file you record in will mostly be deleted and instead you’ll just have a few hits. This works for me. I personally don’t care for using the the same samples more than one time. I like to find random sounds and make whatever out of it. I don’t think I’ll be using this for percussion more atmospheres and odd sounds. Maybe a little bit of A4 drum patches recorded in

Any chance that strom and SDS Drop will work for this?

1 Like

I think this will be a major plus. You could still load a bunch of sounds into one long file without having to worry about where they are on a time grid since you can precisely dial in start/end. Just like an OP-1 drum kit for example.

1 Like

I see now in the JustMusic video that @Sazi just linked that this is the case, integers scrolling at 10:45.

Cool, so 120 slice Rytm chains will be perfectly compatible. And if you want to make larger chains (240, 480 slice, etc) , those would be usable too. Though with only 1GB storage, I don’t see a reason to use chains larger than 120 slice.

4 Likes

I see your point. Then there is no silence whatsoever, which can make chains more concise. These would be non-precise chains.
The caveat being scrolling between sounds in a chain will be more manual, as each sound won’t be on an integer for instant successive auditioning, as sounds are with perfect 120 slice chains.

But this level of sample start has great resolution, and standard operating procedure will include this kind of manual cropping.

It’s good to have options.

4 Likes

Not really a plus as I see it? I mean on OT you can slice automatically on sample chains OR do it manually? How is having only one of those options a plus, am I missing something?

Gotta admit that after watching all the videos I’m starting to want one. Starting to see enough functionality on DT that isn’t there on OT to make me think it’s probably worth adding. Still bummed about the small storage + some weird ommisions, it couldn’t replace my OT, but overall it looks great at what it DOES do. Damn Elektron… That’s 2 for 2. Didn’t want the heat at first either but that’s on the list now too…

5 Likes

Unless today’s videos state this, what we know (no Song Mode) is based on this article:

and a post from @void:

both sources referring to conversations with Elektron staff.

2 Likes

The plus is with disk storage management.

With OT this is a non issue as you can use massive CF cards.

But with Rytm and DT, you’re having to manage space in 64MB ram with as few as 127 slots, and 1GB +Drive.

The higher sample start resolution of DT allows the use of OP-1 style drum kit chains, where each sample hit is not the same length, they’re all just chained together and the total length = the sum of the samples’ length, not 120 times the longest sample’s length.

This means less silence in a chain which means more concise chains which means pushing that 64MB and 1GB much farther and loading it with more actual material.

We should probably devise a new term for these types of chains, since every slice isn’t the same length (like a chain).
Maybe “DT Sample Stream” ? or something

3 Likes

Sorry, I meant a plus vs the Rytm where you can’t really do it manually and samples MUST be on the grid. Vs OT, yeah not really a plus.

2 Likes

Ah, I get it now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thx. I’m having a hard time understanding why Elektron wouldn’t put a song mode on this.

Sooooooooo, anyone cancelled a preorder after these shiny vids?

4 Likes

well, if you already have an elektron that’s capable of song mode, then you just set the DT to follow pattern changes, and voila, you use Song Mode on one elektron box to control the DT.

@void / @Dataline / @Ess

can anyone confirm this?

1 Like

so long as “receive program change” is a DT feature.

Haven’t seen that confirmed yet.

4 Likes

I’ve been talking with my sales rep over the last few days. I was 99% ready to plunk down the $ to pre-order, but as soon as I heard that there wasn’t a song mode I started looking at the MPC Live instead.

please, don’t jinx it! i really hope this is how it’ll work…

I ain’t afraid of no ghosts

9 Likes

Cenk keeps saying they are aiming for 750 EUR though he sounds unsure which sounds like it could mean higher. That’s USD $800, but the preoder places here show MSRP as USD $769 which is 634 EUR. Did he mention a comparatively lower USD price in any other video? I know it’s not uncommon, just wondering.

I’d take it as a given, would be the smart marketing/sales move to eventually pull DT users toward the big boxes :wink:

Also in the cuckoomusic video I noticed when asked about the sample slots, he said 128 but they’re hoping for something else… which I didn’t get, does that mean it might be 256 or something? I don’t know what else he could be referring to.

1 Like