Introducing Digitakt

Ideal workflow from my point of view would be a new Kit for a new pattern and shared kit for a pasted pattern.

And the possibility to load a previous kit to link different patterns to the same kit, manually.

But I must admit that most of the time I’ll have 1 kit :left_right_arrow: 1 pattern.
Pb is when you start tweaking compression and such… much easier to keep the same volume !

2 Likes

Damn straight. I’ve always thought kits were da shit, too, for the reasons you say.

2 Likes

It’s funny, after the initial confusion, the Elektron saving methodology makes perfect sense to me and I love it, fits my workflow to a T, both rytm and OT…

Edit: There’s some room for improvement, like saving kits to +drive and things like saving individual fx settings on OT would be nice, but the options given while seeming backwards at first, now seem brilliant…

2 Likes

I am also in the pro Kit kamp.

Curious to see how the new implementation works

Hi Olle + rest of all of Elektron … I have an idea! … (captain obvious to the rescue … ) … can you install 2 x USB outputs into future machines?

thanks!

oh… just to explain my thought … if you had 2 outs then you could have TWICE the bandwidth… I assume, but I am no expert.

best

TrabanT

Just set the tempo to the the same speed, otherwise I’d imagine samples using the tempo would be compromised?

This is the thing isn’t it, with no timestretch you could easily mess up a pattern by changing the tempo if it contains loops or longer samples, etc.

1 Like

The real thing is, that all of us, ALL of us are just talking about an unknown quantity, it’s ridiculous.
Yes you are correct in what you say but as a user who knows a machine you know what is doable and not possible and you treat/build/use around those principles…
That is what a framework is for.

Complaining that you cant hang your shirt on a hanger because it won’t fit before seeing the hanger is just playful silliness.

We are all waiting to see what will drop and some are excited, some don’t care and some just want to have a dig at anyone who may be vaguely excited or optimistic about the next step on Elektron’s ladder.

We have admittedly been drop-fed info and the marketing campaign has been painfully slow and intermittent but at the same time it’s a new baby, we don’t know everything and yet we aim to slaughter it at birth.
We just need to trust, like you may trust your wife not to fuck Derek at the office, that maybe it will work out and it is indeed well thought out in context of the history of Elektron and their unknown business trajectory and the future of totally fucked up electronic music that again perpetuates future development of machines and workflow and complaints and total lack of imagination for MAYBE a slightly different way of doing the same thing everyone has been doing for years…

Sorry, @finalform this isn’t aimed at you.

@Mods don’t bother, I’m out of this for the seeable.
Bye bye peeps, totally crazy.

1 Like

But the consistency it provides, I hope they keep. That’s the killer thing about it.

This isn’t going to work (off topic too), besides, the bandwidth limitations are not to do with the intended design (wrt the first OB devices which use USB2 hardware that is throttled back to USB 1.1 speeds because of interference)

The newer devices will have much more bandwidth available as the design will work at USB2

The DT will already support more audio than the older devices and there was a comment that it may be possible to handle all streams (12x @ 24b/48kHz), if it passes testing

There’s more than enough bandwidth within the spec, but that’s not the only consideration

4 Likes

It’s OK Beardy, I’ve been where you are but phased out of it and decided to speculate on the unknown just for fun, about the only thing you can do with this thread anyway :wink:

3 Likes

Has anybody discussed midi implimentation yet? Like, can I assign velocity/aftertouch to things like in rytm? It would be nice to be able to assign pitch freely as well so that the user could trigger different samples from one pad like a choke group, but still be able to use velocity/at for other assignments for modulation

1 Like

I agree with you :slight_smile: I really like the concept of Kits, it’s very useful especially when a melodic part takes multiple patterns and I have to tweak the sound/fx settings.
On the other hand we still don’t know how DT handles the pattern-sound settings relation. Though Kits have been eliminated from the system, the configuration can still be efficient but in a different way.

i hate kits with a passion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

tbh I kind of grew to like them, but it happens rarely that I end up with an organized set of kits for reuse. Mostly the patterns are primary, and the sound design is part of a pattern for me.

Guess the Digitakt makes this sort of twiddling more natural and it’s good imho personally.

5 Likes

there’s only so many possible variations on the theme.

it’s probably safe to assume there is a sound pool like in AR/A4/K - it was mentioned somewhere that you can lock sounds and it would be a prerequisite for that.

So it’s sound pool plus either:

• sounds are saved inside the patterns
    or
  • sounds are linked from the pool, i.e. a pattern would have references for up to twelve sounds.

The latter would be sort of a clusterfuck, basically the complexity of kits multiplied by 12.

So it’s gotta be the former, which is nice.
Hopefully there’s a way to copy/paste an entire “set” of sounds between patterns tho!

2 Likes

thanks for chiming in! … how do you know all this? : )

1 Like

All previously stated by Elektron staff here on the forum.

4 Likes

And I can only guess that among the functionalities that were kept from the Kit paradigm, we’ll be offered to reload one or all the Sounds…

I use this both for experimenting/sculpting the sound and when playing live…

1 Like

Maybe you just have to choose the pattern to revert back to the saved state.

1 Like