Introducing Digitakt

It’s gotta be Patterning. Sample based step seq with individual length, step probability, plocks, euclidian modes, etc etc. Every time I get GAS for a drum machine I remember I have an iPad with Patterning that I can sample with my OT and it dissipates fast.

2 Likes

come on Elektron… I want to give you my money, but I’d like to see the dang thing in action first.

So…no song mode?

Does this follow song mode of other machines?

If so, would that just work like if you program song mode on the AnalogKeys for example as: A04 A05 A07, the Digitakt will play the same sequence in sync automatically?

April is saturday. Please :3lektron: make some real product presentation video available for us!!
I preordered Mario Kart because Nintendo showed me what I was gonna get, and I would be doing the same with you, if you REALLY presented us the product of course…
Hear US!

Exactly. I don’t want tedious workarounds, or routing involving computer etc to slow creativity, or housekeeping over a million boxes to cover all bases/just to put a song together, setting a ton of boxes (+computer) up at shows etc. Just want a fluid, minimal setup. I’m not sure the guy who originally wrote this quasi-zen spiel would approve of it being used how it has been here, as a validation for unquestioned consumerism.

Surely people need to see what DT CAN do before being able to apply these kind of justifications? I’ve been judging on the hard facts from specs/(missing) functions. So yeah, it is easier to be negative atm. We know what it CAN’T do. Maybe opinion will change later when we know what it CAN. But for now on paper this box falls short for a lot of people in terms of really needing it in their setup. Or as a rounded out entry level, affordable (?) box. That’s just as valid an opinion as swooning over it before even really knowing why… Companies shouldnt tease products if they don’t want people to speculate on the negatives. People are allowed to wanna make practical, informed, questioned choices as well as impulse/luxury ones…

2 Likes

Slightly ot but…
As far as people talking about the es2 and how it has 16 midi, batteries, stereo samples…
I have a friends and tried to play around with it. That thing is the most non-user friendly convoluted thing. It sounds ok and I was trying to use while a little drunk. It made me not want to use it after like 15 mins.
Just comparing the box tops, it’s obvious the DT will be way more intuitive.

Edit; and I’ve used the sp-808, OT and a few other confusing boxes. I really enjoyed the original electribes as well

Yeah seems like Korg screwed the Es2 up in ways they could have easily polished up. I wasn’t interested in it at all until I started hearing about DT. Then it suddenly seemed more interesting/a better deal than I had it down as. Not saying I’d buy one, but there are a lot of pros/cons for those two boxes against each other.

1 Like

The ES2, though, is a flawed execution from a concept that was close to brilliant.

The DigiTakt - and here’s me presuming, not knowing - is a defined and focused product. Features left out, are done so for a purpose. Not so with some (not all, of course) of the Electribe left-outs.

Going with DigiTakt mono sampling, for example, is not something we need to like - but we get it. It’s one way to do it.

Cut-off envelopes and non-tailing fx between pattern switching is not a way to do it. That’s just bad execution.

2 Likes

I REALLY wanted to like the es2 but the more learned the less interesting it got. I’m going to give it another go but I’m guessing I’ll never find it useful.

Strangely, I was underwhelmed by the DT at first. I’m starting to see some potential now though. Boy, if it can do basic trimming of samples and send directly to my AR I will buy immediately.
hoping for more details soon.

This is the kind of thing that baffles me when hearing people say it in a kind of ‘yes, amazing! Take more of my money!’ fashion. Guessing rytm had some of these features crippled to avoid any loss of OT sales? If true I think that’s an unnecessary/faithless precaution. And now they ‘might’ possibly add a couple of those features to ANOTHER box so you get the basic functionality that could really have been there all along. But obviously other fundamentals are cleverly cut out instead. Collect em all! Like everyone has a million bucks and a church hall for their setup…

I nearly grabbed a rytm last year to pair with my OT but the lack of on onboard sampling and the backward sample transfer method killed it for me. DT looks like it’ll probably ultimately make me make the same decision down to a different set of ommisions. Obvs YMMV but I just don’t really buy all the ‘we left it out for workflow reasons’ comebacks. They must think of the rest of their products as a totally convoluted, unapproachable mess by that rationale…

When I’m on AK I’m focused and the hardware feels focused. When I’m on OT I’m focused and the hardware feels focused. So what’s all this ‘but it’s a focused box’ marketing stuff? Seems to be doing the trick tho judging by a lot of forum users feedback so fair play to them…

If you designed the DigiTakt with focus in mind, what kind of sample-based drum
machine would you build?

No.

3 Likes

44.1 samples basically killed me wanting an octatrack at all… almost everything everywhere sample-wise is 48khz and the device not having a resampler to convert stuff when importing is lunacy

Don’t make me saaaaaay it agaaaaaain dude! I’ll get a warning :wink: (shhhhh>> one with slices for slicing resampled patterns/loops, separate outputs, saveable/browsable drumkits and insert fx :wink: The obvious stuff. <<< you made me say it again :confused:

1 Like

Fair enough if you had other reasons not to extend the rytm sampling/sample editing functionality/convenience. Shame either way tho, would have made that unit way more appealing to a lot of users if it was there.

2 Likes

It’s funny that by using the word “focus”, missing features can be turned into a feature. It is almost making it sound like it’s a good thing that there are missing features in most Elektron devices to prevent overlap with their other products.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s not so much what’s missing, but how what’s there is put together, that’s relevant.

Well, I genuinely wanted to know. If you’re flagged, I’ll carry that flag for you.

1 Like

Which is what the new mpc offers though, yeah?

Not sure how that’s relevant, but yeah, the MPC has those, and OT does too (minus saveable kits).