Introducing Digitakt

I’d probably rather save for rytm if I wanted to free up OT tracks and keep it elektron. But then you don’t have onboard sampling or midi conditional trigs. But with the digitakt you possibly don’t have performance/scenes/slices. Seems like Elektron are kind of making a mess of things intentionally so everyone buys everything. I’m not down with that many boxes/patches/patterns to housekeep etc. Tho obvs that way of working brings more fun with trying different patterns etc on each box against each other… Expensive road to go down tho :confused:

4 Likes

True, the MD also supports the possibility of this type of design decision. Glad the MIDI channels aren’t labelled ‘Bass’, ‘Piano’, ‘Guitar’ etc! :smile:

1 Like

launching more products this year! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Losing interest tbh. Probably just a digital fx box that does one thing I don’t already have in AK + OT :frowning:

Edit - that’s probably harsh/premature. Wait and see what digitakt does when full info drops…

I think they work on the drum synthesis but they don’t know if it will be finished by April.

The “Digitone” will be the next product they’ll launch! (only my guess, but I’ll be spot on again) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was hoping yesterday for a time based FX box, so we could toss our Eventide Space into the ocean. A combined reverb and delay, with cross modulation. Maybe a dirty tape simulation with a good analog preamp with proper drive, and the envelop/filter section of the heat.

2 Likes

This is how rumors get started…

As I understood from the Sonicstate video the Digitakt will only be able to handle mono samples.

Is that so?

This. This would be why I’d use it. It’s a nice looking piece of kit, but like mentioned before, its largest demographic is completely new users. Certainly its appeal for established Elektron owners depends heavily on what each person already uses for such tasks. Its a combo and extension of current Elektron digital tech, conservatively specified to keep costs in the mid to entry level range. Pretty well done.
Edit: Well done if it’s a piece of cake to do sample transfer as well as dead easy live sampling.

1 Like

IDK if he’s saying it only plays back in mono or the max sample time you can achieve is 10 min in mono.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I hope it does not have the limitations of the AR’s sampling capabilities.

Yep.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, not an effect unit, a real instrument. If it has synthesis, that is.

I think my Rytm will get this as a little friend, at least if it can do synthesis with single cycle waveforms. If it has drum synthesis, it is a 100% buy.

K

I like it. From what we know so far it isn’t something I’d like to own personally. I like weird and complex. But I can easily imagine many musicians would enjoy “a fun little box to make some phat beats on” as Cenk calls it. From the layout and how they present it I get the impression it is supposed to be super-simple to use, not with lots of bells and whistles. Less is more kind of thing. Lots of other simple drum machines out there, but the Elektron sequencer should make this super-fast and enjoyable to program. Even for guitarists. :slight_smile:

Kind of weird it isn’t battery powered, but not sure how important that is for people. It would be in my case.

No mention of a compressor, right? Isn’t that important when programming beats?

1 Like

the dsp might be able to do compression - i think effects are still to be finalised eg distortion

1 Like

The stereo input and mono sampling/resampling is pretty confusing for me…

Anyway after a night of sleep I think it’s a cool ‘Rytm-Lite’ device! I love the size of it and the fact it’s fully digital should give Elektron more bandwith for new things to add in the future, right?

For now the MPC Live seems more attracting to me, because of it’s features, but it does give me the ‘laptop+midi/audio interface in one box’ feeling and try to avoid computer usage while making music because I am staring at my screen on work all day already…

Teenage Engineering is also bringing out some cool stuff… I am not sure where to put my money yet :slight_smile:

The sample playback looks similar actually but thats just going off what i see on the OLED. I see the Filter page is freq, res, type and ADSR exactly like the AR and the SRC page is also similar to the AR sample page with the only difference being a graphic for the sample loop/one shot playback.

I’m assuming it has no synthesis. They might have another reveal coming, but I’m guessing not.

The Volca Sample is an amazing instrument for sound design with samples, the sequencer being a crucial part of this. If Elektron’s taken cues from that, I got all I need.

1 Like

Does it have limitations? 'cause Elektron is all 'bout limitations, right?

We Want Limitations!! pleeeeease!!

-)

1 Like

Is there a possibility that overbridge wil be used to get to the computers cpu for the synth engines?