Introducing Digitakt

Yeah me too, but iā€™ll keep them aside though and browse through them to keep what is what. But emtpy reset for sure.

My sample library is still from when i first started out aka thousand of samples that I could do without. I selected some w while back, but with a sampler at home i could easily delete all I think.

Start fresh!

1 Like

I may keep the acoustic drum kits thoughšŸ™…

1 Like

Same for me, if/when I get a DT. First thing I did with my OT was reformat the CF card to start fresh with samples of my choosing and own creation.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only loaded two samples to OT and none to Rytm in 2 1/2 years. All my samples get recorded after turning on OT and disappear when I power off. Once this sample transfer app gets loose I might get the nerve to load something to Rytmā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Whaaaaat?? :wink: You dont save any samples in projects? Whatā€™s your workflow on OT? Like pickup/live Rec stuff?

:scream:

1 Like

Only thing is 64mb is limit on thisā€¦wish they would up that on future boxes as well.

More slots and more ram would make elektron :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I used to save them but I find they just pile up by the hundreds and I never look at them again. Iā€™m all live looping so samples are usually from Rytm, keys, guitar, theremin, and vocals. Usually four pickup machines, three flex remix, and master track to start with, but various parts/patterns with tricks to switch to. I warp things up a lot once they are in there but for every song I start sampling over again, using various ways of breakdown or transition so the music doesnā€™t stop. Iā€™m coming from being lead guitar in jam bands back in the day where weā€™d often perform 20min or so jams. Iā€™m mostly improv but thereā€™s underlying structure and I try to make the improv more so it feels like a track with hooks and motifsā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m absolutely thrilled by the analog side!

3 Likes

Iā€™m liking/using @Open_Mikeā€™s ethereal workflow - probably the guitar background in common, I prefer to do stuff in the moment, doing anything a second time renders it dead ā€¦ keep it in the moment, the whole samples in samples out thing is buzzkill - sure a regular chain of straight 808 hits is all good to load up

this is why I donā€™t find the need to dig around with samples so much ā€¦ Iā€™m 100% tuned into the sound of the AR engines, samples are useful for non drum/synth stuff

I guess itā€™s why Iā€™m not so into the DT despite being envious of its admirable workflow enhancements

I get headaches reading about folk aspiring to load a gig of samples and hankering after 256x120 samples and so on - may as well be a daw by that storage - I think fewer options liberate the good stuff, endless options are a pain in my book ā€¦ thus the monotribe love (plus stunning sound)

DT seems like a bit of gear that gets closer to the elements with less of the clutter, thatā€™s why I think theyā€™re onto a winner

3 Likes

Iā€™m all in for jamming and keeping things loose/new but havenā€™t really used OT for that to this extent yet. I improv on what I put in there with scenes etc but kind of HAVE to save samples with a view to being able to play shows and sing/play other stuff too. Otherwise Iā€™d be dragging waaaay too much gear around and skimming through YouTube etc at shows just so I could sample it in there live on the spot. Which would be cool but would also suck for carrying around/setting up! I should prob try more guitar stuff like this tho, seeing as Iā€™ll have both OT and guitar/pedals at shows. I rarely sample guitar in to OT for some reason except via importing rc300 looper files. Probably missing out :wink:

2 Likes

I hope they donā€™t load the Hector sample in there. It seems to randomly pop up in my Rytm sample list when I load up some preset sounds and it drives me nuts. Terrible joke, Elektron!

Iā€™m guessing that those of us who have another :3lektron: machine can use that machine in song mode and send pattern change cc to the DT. Seems like a good way around the song mode issues if you own another :3lektron: box.

Will keep those 40 single cycles too:)

Was single cycle thing when the OT was designed?

Maybe some DT design decisions where made with the notion it will be used a lot.

Iā€™m going to refrain from any further comments on the song mode issue until I see more detailed video representations of DTā€™s workflow, but I can say that this idea of sending program change data from OT has limitations that do not make it a real solution to this problem.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen the sample pack details for DT but thereā€™s some nice free Single Cycle packs floating around that are super useful on OT and will be great for DT too, someone else can probably clarify what you need to search for but I think they were called Alex Kid single cycleā€¦ Or something like that :wink: just a heads up in case you donā€™t have em already :slight_smile:

1 Like
5 Likes

Adventure Kid Single Cycle Waveforms

In various formatted and downloadable packs (including Monomachine :elmm:), but for the :elot:, pick up the standard wave format pack.

3 Likes

I like this approach, but found it frustrating to implement the kind of music I mostly want to create by trying too hard to do everything in the moment.
But, for some moods, moments, and performances using only pickup machines and flex with my tanbur or bass is great fun, too :smiley:

I do need to organise my samples on the OT better, but Iā€™m imagining that it would be a total nightmare if I hadnā€™t deleted all the pre-fab samples on the card.

Sounds like DTā€™s file management is a bit better.

thanks to you both, @dalski and @sazi, for posting the link!

thinking about trying to start prepping a small sample library for the DTā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like