Introducing Digitakt II

yes, you can print EUC steps as red trigs, that would be a quicker way to get the red trigs in

so you temporarily exit EUC (whilst holding FUNC ) then immediately re-enter

that’s much faster, albeit temporarily leaving, but definitely the best way to get where you want if you need donor trigs for random/linear slice locks - good call !

4 Likes

How would you compare the new BRR and the former one ?

@Elekktrikk you have both isn’t it ?

1 Like

It should, as on other Digis…

1 Like

Yes. For the moment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

EDIT - I think question already just answered! Thanks.

Original post:
Interested in the answer to this as I have exactly the same question.

I will be playing my MIDI controller keyboard live into the DT2 and sampling the output from my Hydrasynth Desktop into the DT2.

Most of the time I don’t need to record the MIDI notes as a sequence. I will be playing live straight into the sampler. And I want to be able to play (and sample) big extended chords, up to 8 voices and sometimes more than that.

Does the 4-note polyphony mean that only 4 notes can be passed through the DT2 (and DT1 and ST, the logic is the same) when playing an external synth via a DT2/DT1/ST MIDI track? To be clear, I’m talking about the live MIDI note input from keyboard via DT2 to connected hardware synth.

Or does it mean that ALL notes received are passed to the device connected to the MIDI track but that only 4 notes can be recorded in the sequencer polyphonically and played back polyphonically?

I realise this is a little off thread as this question applies equally to the DT1 and the ST as well.

1 Like

In general we have tried to preserve the sound of DT1 while also improving certain things. Like the sample interpolation filter is identical to DT1 and I believe most of the “sound” comes from this.
An example of something we have changed/improved is the EQ. It is the same filter as on DT1, however the width is a continuous control and not quantized to 5 different shapes.
The legacy filter is the same as the DT1 LP/HP filters.
All of the controls are mapped automatically when you import DT1 projects!

23 Likes

This morning My partner stopped me and said “Just buy this Digitakt 2 thing, otherwise you won’t stop talking about it and boring me senseless”.

Ordered from Thomann

46 Likes

Good strategy. :content:

3 Likes

Same experience here except my wife and my children just said pretty much the same thing, “if it’s so great and you want it so bad then just buy the bloody thing and stop going on about how much you want it” :joy:

6 Likes

:grin::grin::grin: we’re both playing 4d chess mate. They didn’t have a chance.

6 Likes

The DT1 BR algo is “quantized” and some parts of the knob doesn’t really do that much other than a level increase. The new algo is stepless. The parameter mapping is also not the same.
Cheers!

24 Likes

As said, I didn’t compare them side by side yet. This morning I thought, the BRR/SRR in DT2 sounds very Elektron (like what one would expect from MD soundwise tradition), in a positive way. From memory/impression very different to SP1200 or EPS but not so distant from DT1. Nice musical ringing (DT2) and very well suited for the kind of music. If I would like it different, I’d send it through an external analog filter and resample.

2 Likes

The Space Invaders influenced animation on BRR tickles me!

Kudos to the UI designer that came up with it!

11 Likes

I did this test back when I still had my DT1. It’s essentially a very smooth, broad peak in the upper range (say between about 2k - 10k, don’t recall exact numbers). It’s subtle, maybe 0.5 - 1 dB boosted but it really gives everything you put through it a clarity and “mix-ready” feel that I loved. I miss it with my ARMK2

1 Like

I showed this to my partner and she had a good laugh. She was away on a business trip when DT2 was announced, and I listed it as one of the things that happened while she was gone, but other than that I haven’t been boring her about it!

2 Likes

So I’m going to be the guy who asks the question:

I’m one of those who never liked the sound of the OT, especially the FX.

Without rehashing THAT territory (lol) can anyone say how the time stretch / pitch shift algos compare to the original DT and OT?

I’ve drifted away from beat based work but the additional features of DT2 are intriguing wrt more experimental sounds I might be able to make away from a computer.

Any thoughts for sounds not involving rhythm (which is why the FX and Timestretch / Pitchshift aspects are important to me).

I wonder how well the DT2 would work for running linear stereo backing tracks? I use an AR2, A4, and a Moog Minitaur currently. I’m thinking that I could mix the songs down to stereo and sample them with the DT2. That would really simplify my live show (I play guitar and sing as well).

Sound like you would want a phrase sampler. I’m sure the DT2 would suffice but there are much cheaper options for that like the SP404mk2, Black Box, etc.

1 Like

Here is the a comparison (BRR/SRR)

• A and B are either DT1 or DT2 (revealed at bottom of this post in hidden text)
  • Imported a project from DT1 to DT2 with Transfer 1.8
  • First samples without any tweaking just like they are rendered by pressing trig buttons.
  • Last sample after some seconds: free live tweaking to explore sound space (different filter, BRR, SRR, pre/post filter settings).

Edit:

• it explores all extreme settings in both machines - if one machine doesn’t sound as extreme, it just doesn’t go that far.
  • I also tried to find sweet spots in both machines. With the same effort.
  • one should not compare 2 cars just by driving them both inner city at 50 km/h or make only maneuvers both can deliver. The car steers the driver, too :wink:

A
B

Both recorded via USB Audio, normalized with audacity before saving as mp3

Which one do you like better?
  • A
  • B

0 voters

Which one do you think is DT2?
  • A
  • B

0 voters

generation reveal

A: DT2
B: DT1 (OG)

5 Likes

I’m curious how many people are keeping their old DT after buying the new one. And if so what will you use the old DT for? Im on the fence.

3 Likes