Introducing Analog Heat MKII

Hey, at least it comes with a power supply! (I’m looking at you, Karakter 500)

3 Likes

thanks, guess their wiki needs updating aswell.
all besides the point that elektron released AH MKII because it needed to appease some higher ups, like i said.

the MKII line altogether, now that is a different discussion entirely,.

This a thousand time! I don’t get why everybody wants even the janitor at Elektron to work on Overbridge. I’m sure they have a team assigned to that, and other teams working on different stuff.

This seems like a screen update they felt they can easily knock out.

3 Likes

^ Pretty much.

They appeased me too. I was waiting for this update to get an AH again. Their “evil” strategy of giving the AH an OLED display with updated graphics has destroyed the fabric of society as we know it.

8 Likes

I understand that. It’s exactly as I stated. You mentioned up top “€200 more expensive than mk1?” JUST ASKING A QUESTION NOT EVEN USING A DOLLAR SIGN, then after that all these posts came in stating $200 more.

& are these prices everyone is quoting with the $200 difference from the same store? I’ve seen things priced $500 difference from different stores…if it’s from different stores that’s not a fair comparison.

& if it’s only a $40 difference in the states (selling from the same store) why is it $200 difference in other countries (from the same store, again, if it’s from a different store you can’t really compare it).

EXACTLY. $40 DIFFERENCE IN PRICE.

Apparently the above cannot be posted as it isn’t a full sentence, so I’m adding this :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m just going to say this for the second or third time: Elektron hasn’t done anything factually wrong here. They’ve updated a product for the better and to respond to a change in part availability. Nobody on this forum has any right to complain about price (or else you’d be slumming on some dawless Volca instagram incompetence incubator).

What Elektron hasn’t done is consider:

1. What engineering considers a MKII isn’t what customers consider a MKII.
  2. The update was communicated poorly at a time when customers are concerned about some other thing.

These are not engineering issues, they’re not marketing issues, they’re product management issues. I work in a team that does multiple parallel monthly software releases and 100% of the time I want to release something I need to ask my counterparts “if we release it is this going to shoot you in the foot in any possible way?” If the answer is “yes” we amicably delay our launch and let the other team go first. gg no re ez pz

5 Likes

For that matter, the job of the product manager is to explain to marketing how to position and communicate a change that affects a) potential customers and b) existing customers. The latter of the two was clearly not done.

1 Like

Well Silver didn’t fit in with the joke (quote from movie airplane).

1 Like

Bad news for people who already decided to sell their MKI ? Not even sure. 2nd hand OT MKI prices didn’t change much after MKII released. Good news for new buyers. Lower price, or new screen matching other Digis.

Orange screen is great, perfect next to MD red one. :slight_smile:

My vintage OT MKI is analog, not yours ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

images%20(1)
My only MKII

2 Likes

I have a feeling, just speculating, that they wanted to hold this release off until Overbridge 2.0 came out, for the reasons you stated, but they’ve probably been sitting on it since the last show (when they didn’t release anything) and they probably finally decided Overbridge isn’t coming any time soon, and they can’t sit on the new Heat any longer, so they made the tough call.

1 Like

But shouldn’t it go in both directions? When production starts working on something and marketing sees the potential pitfalls of a release of said product, shouldn’t it advise against it?

In this case the major issue is the way people perceive this new release. Isn’t this something marketing mainly should be aware off?

whats the difference? i dont understand what dBu or ohms impedance means.

1 Like

Marketing is a function which executes communication around product launches and updates. They are downstream from product management and downstream by two orders of magnitude from engineering. If engineering is communicating directly to marketing you’ll probably end up with a bad launch (which is what we have here).

Product management’s job is to, when applicable, communicate engineering’s constraints to marketing, and come up with position that will make the most sense to new customers and existing customers. Wasn’t done.

Would have preferred an Elektron mixer.

1 Like

And kind of not done in the last releases in the last few years it seems. Thanks for replying. I’m about to launch an app with some friends in a couple of months. So this whole dynamic is interesting and something to research for the future.

We are planning our execution of marketing strategy and everything related towards release right now, and we are constantely considering every little detail of how and when. It’s mindboggling. So I can relate to the troubles elektron is currently going through it is never easy running a company so mistakes are expected to be made.

Or, technology wasnt improving as fast as it does today :wink: And let’s not forget: Machinedrum MKII improved the MD in the right places. 64 Steps per Pattern for example … :slight_smile: I dont see where a Screen improves a Machine that was already “complete” - tbh. But thats not up to me to judge!

1 Like

Mono input split to left / right is a good improvement too.

2 Likes

I was a little surprised at the announcement because the Heat hasn’t had many firmware updates, seemed to be on the back burner for them. As long as us MK1 owners can stay current with the firmware/features going forward I’m okay with the update. If we get left in the dust, I’ll be annoyed. Looks like we’re good though, from what I can tell.

2 Likes