Introducing Analog Heat +FX

Agreed.

After some thought, I’m currently in a headspace where I don’t feel the AH+FX would be sufficiently useful for me to justify the cost. It just isn’t in my personal Goldilocks zone of cost vs sonic need. It seems to be a powerful, well thought out extension of the AH that puts a lot of consolidated power into the one unit. However, I know that a great deal of that power would sit dormant for me, as I’d likely mostly use it as a set-and-forget end-of-chain polisher.

But as an Elektron product, I think it’s pretty amazing, especially considering the number of Elektron users who are into experimenting and jamming with effects as an important part of their soundscapes. Seems it can go from ambient dreams to industrial mayhem to outright alien weirdness, all with a level of polish and flexibility that should be welcome and complementary to the overall product line.

It isn’t for me, at least at the moment, but I can certainly appreciate what Elektron is doing and be happy for anyone that loves this new unit.

Conversely, some didn’t need or want the Syntakt, whereas for me, it was like Elektron had read my mind about a Digi-type unit with analog voices, then packed in even more great stuff. An insta-buy that has been one of my best gear purchases in years. I can’t justify any resentment over the AH+FX not being what I need at the moment, when only a year ago, Elektron dropped a new instrument that was so perfectly in my sweet spot.

With Elektron, or any gear, EMMV (Everyone’s Mileage May Vary).

9 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen an Elektron demo by an actual Swede before. I love the way he says “Warble” at 1:47!

2 Likes

Which was coincidentally what the Elektron rep mentioned they were trying to avoid buyers doing with it in the video, it may not be the one for you

Although anyone looking for a heat ostensibly can still do just that and even turn all DSP off to get a Heat Emmkaytwoandahalf

5 Likes

Still no midi message to trigger envelope and lfos ? That would be a bummer…
Seems possible with Yes+Mod shortcut, CV in. :meh:

You can already do this with the normal heat by sending a midi cc to the env threshold with a value of 0.

4 Likes

I know, I did it with MKI (Trigger with midi), but it didn’t work properly with close triggering. It worked well with CV in.

1 Like

Indeed it is, I found a wee issue that will hopefully be addressed on Yes+Mod (unlike on AH the trigger occurs at the button release, not onset), but CV in is perfect

3 Likes

Hopefully it comes down a bit. What shits me is that is that the difference here between a Mk2 and HFX is in the range of $400-450, whereas at a quick glance the price difference between them is, after conversion, roughly $240-250.

2 Likes

I ordered an AH+FX yesterday and sold my Dr A and Oto Boum :slight_smile:
I was hesitating for months to replace Oto Boum by an Analog Heat, this was the answer !
With its digital architecture, I hope there will be more effects or parameters added in future firmwares.

6 Likes

Got my mki second hand…we need to wait for other people to buy them, not use them and then sell them on the second hand market in 2 years…just be patient…

1 Like

Tempted by this thing for the studio but always wondered how it compares Vs Ableton VST …

1 Like

Yeah there are too many people who don’t understand the basic economics of producing a physical object. And I don’t mean Chicago School voodoo bullshit Economics; I mean small-e economics: the cost of goods, the physical tooling, the bill of materials etc.

I would love to know sales numbers of units because you could use it to teach people about economics. People see that a tact switch or pot on Mouser is 0.25USD and they suddenly turn into Henry Ford. Or they make one patch in PD and all of a sudden they are Bill Gates. Brian from Monome did a great job explaining to people early on about why the 40h cost 500USD for just a bunch of buttons.

9 Likes

All industries have been hit by the supply chain issues of the last few years. I work in manufacturing. And even things like lumber had big jumps in prices because of the labor shortage. It literally is everywhere.
That said, there are definitely some companies taking a bit more in profit than just the numbers would suggest.

1 Like

And when you make something, is it a physical thing, produced in batches of hundreds or thousands at a time? Made with components and fixed tooling that was designed and prepared months in advance?

1 Like

I know I made a shout for positive reactions above, but fuck me does this device never stop nagging at ya, sucking away at your free time, leave me alone already ! …

… wait a minute …

… okay boss, I’ll be right back with you just as soon as my ears stop ringing …

… whadja mean … NO, come to daddy :heat: :evil: :heat: ? …

…gotta go …

:wink:

srsly tho : my ears are messed up real bad … it’s easy to loose track on gain staging … i was off near the event-horizon just now for a while and hadn’t realised i had clipped the DSP into submission long since as i happily ploughed onwards obliviously

I think this is what the Elektron rep was saying they were after in that Superbooth clip above, if this thing had no presets, i’d still be as enthused and engaged (same across most Elektrons tbh) i find my inspirations in the moment (like Miles i don’t want to do the same thing twice) and it’s so much fun rewiring flow on the hoof when you are in the zone - i guess it depends what you like to see come out, but this works for my tastes - definitely not set and forget … it doesn’t let you forget :tongue:

genuinely gonna try and get a 24hr+ break in for the sake of future enjoyment, this tinnitus is no laughing matter

7 Likes

could be a mayhem-generator or am I wrong?

Can the attack go fast enough to act as a limiter? I’m likely going to record into a limiter plugin, but it would be awesome to hear a completely finished track straight out of the AHFX’s headphones out.

The compressor section of the manual doesn’t list any numbers.

3 Likes

Presets AH+FX and which “Heat” is being used

Clean Boost Saturation Enhancement Mid-drive Rough crunch Classic dist Round fuzz High Gain NONE
5. Eery Echo 1. Magnetic Dreams 2. Bouncer Up 9. Pompei by Night 12. Drum Vice 11. Filter Cruncher 8. Corrupted Space
14. Cartridge Oxide 3. Good Copy 4. Bad Copy 10. Shrinking Room 13. Follow the Buzz
17. Dancing Haze 7. Rymdklang 6. Under the Carpet
18. Slippery Noodles 19. Anti-Climax 15. Type IV C60
16. Eroding Nostalgia
3 Likes

presets; which effects (not in correct sequence)

Heat Warble Delay Reverb Compressor Bass Bits Chorus
1. Magnetic Dreams x x x x
2. Bouncer Up x x x x x
3. Good Copy x x x x x x
4. Bad Copy x x x x x x
5. Eery Echo x x x
6. Under the Carpet x x x
7. Rymdklang x x x x x x
8. Corrupted Space x x x
9. Pompei by Night x x x
10. Shrinking Room x x x x x
11. Filter Cruncher x x