Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

-18 db is actually the right level of gain for going into an A/D converter, so maybe that’s why.

1 Like

TimeEcho’s on to something… There’s lots of information available about this in the interwebs, here’s one article:
http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.php

2 Likes

There is no “right level” but yeah, -18 dBfs (digital) corresponding to 0VU (analog) works out well and sounds good. My converters are calibrated at -20. if you don’t have your converters calibrated for a -18 or -20 dbfs per 0 VU (+4dBu) then, for the sake of your mix, you should read the link below and start working at those levels.

3 Likes

I think this is a very bad move for those who, like me, made a big effort to have all these three machines over the years. On one single move, the value of those MKI machines is killed, with no rewards for those who trusted this brand and were loyal to it since the beginning. I can understand the new version of Octatrack considering MKI was an “older” machine. But cannot understand it in Analog Four, and even much less on Rytm. Rytm is a new machine for doing this, and even much more for adding key capabilities like sampling, totally forgetting about those of us who have just recentrly bought a “new” machine. Good to know for the future and taking you out of my list.

RYTM has been produced as long or longer at this point than the entire production life of the 808. Roland released the 909 shortly after and offered no upgrade path. Your instruments are just as capable and valuable as they were when you bought them if you are actually looking at them as what they are, musical instruments rather than financial investments. If you don’t care about the added sampling, you shouldn’t feel any need to upgrade. Also, if you are really obsessed with their financial value, I’m sure the second hand market will correct itself after they are unobtainium. Same thing happened to the MD and MnM when Elektron made the price drop announcement. Value crashed for a few months then skyrocketed when they were finally gone. If all you care about is recouping your monetary investment instead of making music with them, wait 6 months and I’m sure you will see the price come back up.

8 Likes

Like an analog mixer, the internal mixer in the RYTM changes sound as you drive it harder. When you max out the volume you are saturating and distorting the mixer. You can go pretty extreme with this by further goosing it with the compressor makeup gain. This is from the main outs and the channel outs, can’t comment on OB. Typically to get the least amount of added noise and dirt on an analog mixer, leave the faders at unity gain and same with the channel input pot. Never had any gain staging issues with the RYTM in my setup.
Edit to say that there is nothing wrong with overdriven mixer sound, it’s typical of electronic music from the 90’s when every one was mixing on cheap analog desks. Driving all the channels slightly into the red clips and rounds out transients nicely and you don’t need much compression to control dynamics. I’ve actually grown to hate the super clean sterile mix aesthetic of so much modern electronic music. Get some dirt and warmth in there :blush::boom::dizzy_face:

4 Likes

i think you guys dont “get” what i mean :wink: Listen to contemporary electronic music. Loudness is everything. You cant reach Loudness without Noise from analog Machines when you have to work with -18 db Material ^^ Thats all i want to say!

I personally didn’t have a problem with levels or excessive noise on my RYTM.
Used it in tracks mastered up to commercial levels i.e. very loud, and didn’t notice at all excessive noise levels?
Is the low level via OB or physical outs?

I also don’t get noise issues with my set up, even after mastering to “SUPER FUCKING LOUD”. For me gain staging with the Elektron’s is more about tone control and sound design than noise mitigation.

4 Likes

it’s with OB. just check out my AR Tracks on Youtube and you hear what i mean. But i dont care anymore since im planning to sell that AR anyway. Maybe all will be better with the MK2 …

I do not think this will change, as IMHO there is nothing wrong with the unit as far as noise is concerned.

Obsolescence schmobsolescence … pack your MKi blues away, become ‘retro’ and proud …

:wink:

4 Likes

Is it confirmed that Armk1 will get an update in sep?

Or will they discontinue it altogether, firmware wise.

• sorry to ask again but search function didnt help much

It’s not discontinued, it will get os updates … whether it will get feature updates is something only Elektron knows but it’s likely that those would be compatible between MKi & MKii, so optimism is reasonable, with the exception of sampling related updates obviously

3 Likes

Yeah figured that too. Guess regarding machines etc things are looking bright.

Good news then.

Have the CV tracks been doubled?
Is there any chance for midi tracks for sequencer on either mk2?

no MIDI sequencing as far as we know, get a DT or an OT

1 Like

One thing I just noticed is that the A4 MKII has dedicated outputs for each voice. This is huge for me because I have a modular system that I designed to mangle synth voices. I think this is really a big deal.

1 Like

or a Kenton Pro CV to MIDI

4 Likes

So the AK has individual output of the four voices? I didn’t know that. I thought it was the same as the A4. Should have checked and in that case…:slight_smile:

1 Like