Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

then we are talking more about how the sampler interpolates the samps than about the “least colorized, straight wire playback of audio”, which I assumed was the original point?

I do admit that sampler interpolation of audio is a big subject. My fave so far is the korg volca sample, soulful sounding interpolation. My least fave is the MPC 1000/2500. Also love the interpolation of the Korg M1 and wavestation.

1 Like

Maybe, didn’t feel the perimeter was this one. Anyway, you need A/B and I’m away from home…
I was just trying to submit facts you might chew to get hints for solving your dilemma.

Btw, I got my OT second hand and sometimes wondered if AD/DA converters could age due to misuse (understand : playing in the red for too long)
A/B should maybe be done on several machines…

1 Like

I lost the overview of this tread… i like to know more about:

A4 MK2 Reworked analog circuitry: like the AK? including filtering? more like the AH filters?
AR MK2 Large pads: are they also improved and more sensitive?
AR MK2 Sampling capability: is it like a build in DT sampler?

Anywho i am going to upgrade! MK2’s form factor, ergonomic and aesthetic are the main reason. It’s a part of inspiration and the connection between man and machine. :3lektron:

1 Like

Not likely

officially said to be very similar

more likely than not, same or better is a good guess

with added growl in the filter overdrive section

Hey guys, I made this video going over the upgrades that we got on the MKII and my thoughts on the subject :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/wDrLa_LoUlI

4 Likes

… i will check back here in september …

1 Like

Can you elaborate on that ?
I also realised that sample vol > 100 introduces (not pleasing imo) distorsion. Is there more to know ?

All I can say is to experiment with the level/gain controls throughout the signalpath to see which changes introduce which kind of end results. In many ut vids etc, I see alot of rytm users using max synth & samp levels, which IME makes things sound unpleasantly “stiff” for lack of a better term.

2 Likes

btw my version of SDS Drop Sample sets by default the sample volume to maximum level, which again introduces weird artifacts.

pressing function while turning the LEV encoder snaps the value to positions 0, 100, 127. This is a quick way to drop a lev from max to 100

3 Likes

Waiting for October will be very long for me :slight_smile:

Looking forward on hearing your impressions as well.

Dear Elektron,
May we pretty please hear some audio examples of the new A4? :smile_cat:
Cheers.

3 Likes

I mainly just want to see the redesigned bigger screen graphics.
Should be a big improvement
Not sure it will sound any different will it? apart from the phatter bass :ecstatic:

Hard to say. If they’ve revamped the internals for better bass, it may have a sound that is significantly more rich overall.

Reworked circuits, more growl, more drive :smiley: I want to hear it ASAP too.

1 Like

Yeah hopefully noticeable audio improvements, not Elektron snake oil :snake:

this may have to do with the fact that we are thinking in analog Mixer domain :wink: On an analog Mixer we learnt, that we should always max the Channel to end up with the least noise in the end. The Rytm is also analog and so we replicate this workflow.

And i noticed this on the Rytm: If you mix “properly” on the Rytm’s Engine Volumes, you get a pleasent sound, but you end up with lot’s of Noise, because you always have to gain the Audio File you recorded - since the Output is pretty low! If i record with OB for example - and mix properly on the Rytm - i end up with an Audio File that doesnt exceed -18 db - if all goes well, sometimes its even quieter. This is totally unusable. Imagine the Noise when normalizing and mastering such an amazingly quiet audio signal.

If i max it all out (engine + Channel) - i end up with round about -10 db. its still too quiet because i also want to max it with the Compressor / Limiter - since this is what electronic music needs to sound right! But its less noise than before, so i can live with that.

Noise my friends. This is the Problem on the Rytm and this is why maxing it all out on its Engines makes sense! The Rytms output is generally just waaaay too quiet. On the Analog Four - you dont have this problem. its output has proper gain. [edit] When it comes to OB at least. I dont know how it behaves with the physicals Outs, since i dont use these.

peculiar. I dont recall having any noise issues with my rytm for years. YMWV indeed.

2 Likes

Im mostly excited about the new screen and its improvement of the user interface. The bigger screen allows visual display of many parameters like on the Digitakt (envelopes, effects, etc.) This is a huge improvement for understanding the devices better. Right now every single page looks nearly the same. Just boring representations of knobs with 2-3 letters underneath it… on a tiny display… Just the oled display with its bigger display area is a huge argument for me to get the new MK2 hardware <3