Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

Can’t see your logic there sorry.
Why would they go back up?

Machinedrums and Monomachines went back up in price second hand after they stopped making them and had sold off all the backstock at a price drop.

There is an alternative for the A4 which is the MK II but that’s going to be very pricey new at 1500 quid so I’d say the Mk I units will probably hold their value second hand if they cease on the production of them.

1 Like

Maybe we have different understanding of what business is;
Let me explain my self;

You are talking about income against spending, profits against salary, I am talking about simple formula: input against output, there are other values than money ( witch actually is not a real value ! ) Actually money heavily depends on this Real values, like Time, Space , Goods and Creation . So if someone is Utopian and naive, its Business .:watch:

2 Likes

Yeah the A4 can’t be compared with MNM and MD as they had no revised replacements.
Imo the superseded A4 won’t go up as you may as well get the latest and greatest. Well I would anyway.

I kind of feel the urge to defend Elektron on their new “per device” Overbridge price model as well as the mk2 feature sets and prices.

1. Elektron has stated in the past Overbridge would be free for ever (for their current product line, at the time) and now confirms it will be free for ever for the “mk1” devices. Then what’s the problem for mk1 users? OB was free for mk1 and still is free for mk1. The only change is Elektron now added an additional income stream on Overbridge to be used for further and faster continued Overbridge development of which the mk1 users will benefit even more than before.

2. Let’s for a second assume that I’m right in my assumptions that indeed Digitakt is the first “modular boxed” device and more will come in the very near future. Then existing mk1 users can add “modular” functionality to their existing setup at a lower price range than before.

3. And let’s also assume that I’m right on my “live vs studio product line diversification”. What I keep hearing is people saying “What? OB per device? So if I have an ARmk2, an A4mk2 and a DT I have to pay three times for OB???”. Bare with me now: let’s say Overbridge has been completely developed, zero latency DAW/device connectivity, full vst/DAW parameter control over OB. IF, you’d use the ARmk2 and the A4mk2 purely for DAW integration and studio usage, given the ARmk2 can sample. Then why would you add the DT (in my theory part of the “live” product line instead of the ARmk2 / A4mk2) to that setup? Because of the zero latency OB, you could first synthesize, sequence and multitrack record to the DAW the analog percussion tracks, and afterwards repeat that process on the AR for the “sampling tracks” while the DAW is playing the recorded parts. You’d only need the DT for its midi sequencing other gear capabilities (which you can probably do via Overbridge and the DAW in due time!), and my gut feeling tells me another “studio” device is forthcoming that can do just that to complete the ARmk2/A4mk2 “studio setup”.
    You’d “only” pay for Overbridge on both your ARmk2 and A4mk2. Setups where a DT is added to it seems rare to me.

4. In case you want to (also) use the ARmk2 and A4mk2 in a live setup, given the individual outs in case you need them for that purpose, why use Overbridge at all in that scenario? For live usage, I can understand adding a DT to the ARmk2/A4mk2 setup but then Overbridge isn’t needed so no additional costs.

5. People having problems with “second hand price devaluation”. Well, is that actually the case? How many OTmk1 owners would sell it and immediately upgrade to an OTmk2? Not many, I think. What would be the purpose of that? A cooler “new” design? Having “the latest and greatest”? Functionality-wise, I see no purpose. Probably a bunch of OTmk1’s will be traded secondhand because of the DT and maybe the ARmk2, but not because of the OTmk2. The OTmk2 simply adds zero to nothing new to the table. Because of the increased OTmk2 price, secondhand OTmk1’s could actually go up in price.
    The same goes for the ARmk2: if you own an ARmk1, why upgrade to an ARmk2 if you could add a DT to you ARmk1? It costs you the same but it will give you 8 additional tracks and midi sequencing.
    So the price drop on secondhand gear probably is just temporary and will settle once the dust is gone.

I’ve heard one genuine complaint of MK1 users: Overbridge doesn’t function properly yet. OB is an integral part of the mk1 proposition so it should function as promised. Elektron should be held accountable for that.
But that’s exactly what Elektron is trying to do: to build a dedicated Overbridge R&D department, paid for by “Overbridge Premium” customers.

1 Like

It’s today for me, inseparable and intrinsic … Sadly.
Anyway :wink: (Beautiful rhetoric)

(Edit : no Beautiful Rhetoric yeah…, we just don’t agree on words, terms, and definitions)

1 Like

The user many of you were presently engaging with repeatedly refused to adhere to the guidelines having already been issued with a warning about language and instead came back with personal abuse in response and actually showed open contempt for what we are all collectively trying to cultivate here as a community.

Personal abuse is not tolerated, we also take discretionary measures to deal with exceptional cases where it is clear there is zero goodwill or effort forthcoming to be a constructive member of the community. This escalated quickly, we are subject to worse abuse occasionally, but we will work around that if there’s goodwill and a degree of contrition shown. It’s in everyone’s interest to get along, if you want a free-for-all flame fest then head to other forums or facebook.

The user was banned so that we can spend our energy and time helping those prepared to be civil in their discourse, whatever their views. This is not about disagreeing, there’s plenty of that, it’s about the hostility, the contempt for community/guidelines and the abuse. Many of you flagged the posts today and we thank you for doing that rather than pouring more fuel on the fire.

The moderators spend an unbelievable amount of time trying to keep things ticking along, we don’t elect to meddle, we’d rather not. We point you to the guidelines in the hope that you’ll get the idea about how best to contribute, even when disagreeing, but also when you see offensive posts, don’t take the bait. So don’t feed the trolling type of posters by engaging on that level, flag or bite your tongue, that way it doesn’t escalate.

Keep it civil

14 Likes

Yes I will be more discreet I took my part in all this. I may throw some oil on the fire. I will intervene in a different way from now. (I also judge myself in retrospect)

I disagree with you. The input upgrade on the OT mk II is a very big deal for me. I trust that I’m not the only one either.

1 Like

Here’s another thing, when posts are flagged by the community (plus, if we agree, so it can’t be abused) the posts will take a finite amount of Flags before the system deletes them … this has just happened to a post above which I tackled inline

The community can help shape its own direction :thup:

8 Likes

Not in this one that I noticed @William_WiLD, as far as I am concerned you are an exemplar of the ideal contributor … you help a lot, you speak your mind and can reflect humbly on your own moments where your posts didn’t come across as intended

This user community is slowly shifting from gear support to mood support and as many have commented it is increasingly worse for it

7 Likes

How is Digitakt modular?

Ok, but to what do you disagree? On me defending Elektron, or on just my small remark about my perception that the OTmk2 doesn’t bring much new to the table? The new balanced inputs are indeed an upgrade, and so are the buttons, as is the overall look and feel, the new OLED display and, well, everything described by Elektron as “What’s new?”. While you might consider upgrading from the OTmk1 to the OTmk2, and by all means do!, my guess is that a very small percentage of current OTmk1 owners will do just that.

But anyway, that wasn’t my overall point on my post, now was it?

Well, i would have to disagree here, it is not just beautiful rhetoric, it is beautiful fact :slight_smile: We should not let the business confuse them self and push us into disorder. But I will stop now, it is OT, and Elektron people now this better than I do.

1 Like

Just spotted this - looked like I was arguing with myself haha!

2 Likes

It’s modular in three senses to my opinion:

• its small form factor (almost half the size of an OT / MD / MNM / ARmk1, A4mk1) let’s you add “more modular blocks” on your stage / desk / shelf;
  • it’s roughly half-priced compared to the other sequencer devices;
  • it does one thing: record and play samples. What about the midi sequencing then? Well, you could argue that in order to be able to sample melodies from other gear properly, the same (DT) device needs to be able to trigger those melodies by itself.

(Edit : no Beautiful Rhetoric yeah…, we just don’t interpret words, terms, and definitions the same way)

Same for me (to stop on this bizness off topic), nice to share our point of view though, plus i not really disagree with you, just explain my feeling about this particular subject… i have a degree in art school so… You preach a convinced on your terms in the end :wink:

1 Like

I only commented to your “OT mk II does not bring significant changes to warrant the upgrade” point.

I do not even read this conjecture about “elektron scwering its customers”, or speculation on their product philosophy etc changes, I just glaze it over… I have no sides in that discussion, I leave it up to you to discuss.

Following this thread mostly out of interest towards the actualy harware/software changes of the units… But maybe these will come only after august when elektron HQ starts to reboot from the holidays… The details of how sampling and file management will work with the AR mk II, as well as what new ob premi is bringing to the table, this is the stuff I care about.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the problem when posts get deleted.
Conversation is now one sided and you end up just talking to yourself, with the group then thinking ‘what the hell’s this guy on about?’
This is said regardless with my comments, so doesn’t worry me too much, but as a whole probably not ideal for the flow of the thread

1 Like

Ah, I get you. Thanks for explaining