Intro to Modular pt1AND pt2 [Video tutorial]

This is a video adaptation of a live lecture I did during Eter Festival. There the subject was ”Introduction to Subtractive Synthesis”, but I felt I strayed into modular territories. So for this tutorial I’ve decided to split the content into two parts:

Intro to Modular - Part 1 Subtractive Synthesis (how to make bass, kick, hats and snare)
Intro to Modular - Part 2 Pulsewidth, Sync and FM (examples of lead and pad)

The examples take part on the Nord Modular. A superior environment for learning synthesis.

For sequencing and some effects I’m using an Octatrack. And the Analog Heat is used as an audio interface (only) to record the synth output and also drive WaveWindow (a software oscilloscope).

Enjoy!

9 Likes

A buddy and I were talking about how different things felt when we were first learning about this shit 15-20+ years ago. Part of the fun was the mystery and trying to figure it out on your own.

That said, with a glut of Youtube videos being uploaded daily that offer nothing but what appears to be an attempt to further clog the internet with ‘content’ for ‘visibility’ or something, I really appreciate how thoughtful and deliberate you and Cuckoo have been in offering truly helpful videos for beginners. Nothing replaces just sitting down with the tools and fiddling, but these videos are the next best thing.

Thank you for taking the time.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! To be mentioned together with @cuckoomusic and with the appreciation in your post…

Awesome! :heart: :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

Really interesting series and I love your teaching style, informal and approachable and nice to see the Nord Modular getting some love. looking forward to part 2 :slight_smile:

p.s. I thought the unedited/scripted approach went really well, you kept a really good pace… and fun to see the ‘hiccups’, they always happen for me to when I’m doing demos etc :wink:

@CarlMikaelBjork if you like the Nord Modular, you should take a look at Axoloti (http://www.axoloti.com) , similar concept (standalone board, with computer editor), editor working on Mac/Windows/Linux.
its a lot of fun, also has an active community (http://community.axoloti.com) , at 65 euro it offers a huge amount for the price of a pocket operator!
given the price, it might also be interesting on the ‘education’ side, cheap for students/viewers to take a punt on.

I backed it when it was on indiegogo, and having been enjoying it every since… (and also contributing to the software and object/patch library)

1 Like

Thank you @thetechnobear!

I have had my eyes on the Axoloti for sure. Maybe I should have a look again. Cheers!

Axoloti looks excellent!

How does the sound compare to the nord?

Another brilliant video Carl!

1 Like

they sound pretty good… I think there is axoloti topic on the board somewhere, probably best to take the discussion off there… dont want to go OT on this one, about Carl’s great video!

1 Like

Indeed. Please post your discussions about the Axoloti on this topic:

@CarlMikaelBjork : yeah not only the style it’s way you plan (or not) things. Step… Subject… Device choosen for the purpose of the tutorial etc… When i see this quality i have difficulties to made things too in that territory :stuck_out_tongue: i feel that i have things to teach, more regarding my story and how i came to music productions, pain to things and advice i can give for people to not fall in the same trap like me…

But i will probably not have your qualities/style i mean at the screen. Cenk, Cuckoo and You are very talented. You all have a very good english spoken. Great speech people in any way. it’s always a pleasure to discover things from you guys. THANKS and Support for all the upcoming movies

Thank you very much! :heart:

And to be honest - that’s the thing I take pride in. I am a teacher by profession. So when I claim “designed for learning” - that is what I aim for. And I’m really pleased that you think that it shines through.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Maybe since I’m a teacher (not music/tech for the record) I’m especially tuned into the effort you’re putting in. I did a summer elective last summer on music tech introducing some kids to the basics of recording on a DAW, mics, editing, effects. It was a blast, but tough for sure.

1 Like

Me neither. My exam is as a pre-school and drama teacher. But I’ve been working with teacher education and educational development for about 15 years at Malmö University.

1 Like

Awesome! Yeah, I teach American history to 13-14 year olds. Music is my escape and therapy, I don’t think I’d want it to be part of my job, but nurturing that in kids in that summer elective was super cool. I remember how important playing with a 4 track, shitty mics, and a bunch of instruments was to me as a teenager in the mid 90s. Maybe I opened the door to that world for a kid or two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated original post with second part of the tutorial!

1 Like

You are like the Bob Ross of synth tutorials! Minus the kool afro of course!

I’ll get my beard into a nice frilly 'fro if I can!

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: Even better!

1 Like