Alternative tips & tricks

What about if I filled up the crossfader? Will the midi still output at 24bit audio or do I have to use the overbridge for that?

Sorry #Britishhumour

2 Likes

Probably. To be on the safe side:

1. add a little bit of compression to the audio track so it gets down to around 23.7 bit audio.
  2. make sure you have a fast draining midi device on the end of the chain (otherwise audio may get distorted and leak from the cable)
  3. disable constant streaming to CF card

#Austrianhumor

2 Likes

Great, thanks! When you say fast draining midi device do I need midi 2.0, or can I just use 3.5mm Midi with adapter? Do I need to enable Turbo midi? (Hope not as I don’t like going too fast!) Would you recommend water proof cables just in case of the leaks?

:joy:

1 Like

3.5 mm is not wide enough for 24 bit. At least 6.3 mm MIDI chinch connectors are required.

I would enable turbo midi only for BPMs above 180 and very long straight sequences.

Water- & fire-proof cables are the best for general usage, because it depends on the genre and type of sound (digital/analog) what may leak.

:rofl:

(maybe admins can move these posts to the legendary, long running and pinned “OT: Advanced Safety Instructions and other true Myths” thread?)

2 Likes

Ah, yes I didn’t consider fireproof but it makes good sense where electricity is concerned. Any particular brand you’d recommend for trance? Mainly epic trance but sometimes I dabble in psytrance - would I need to have cables for both types or does the Octatrack auto detect and compensate?

Looks like it got moved to the wrong thread. All of the posts are very serious and important. :smiley:

(thx, @PeterHanes)

2 Likes

Yeah it should be labelled “Octatrack Safety and guidelines - VERY SERIOUS” @PeterHanes :joy:

1 Like

I like the idea of going 23.7. You absolutely need TOTL cable to pull such a hack off :diddly:

post videos?

( but make sure you use the 3.5mm to Dante, latency gets alot louder, even my mate next door hears it lol)

2 Likes

How many centimeters of latency should I be aiming for (or is that measured in inches?)

I had good experiences with noname, hand-rolled cables from the Shangri-La valley in the Himalaya region. A bit pricey and quite hard to find, but genious.

1 Like

That depends completely on how long your toilet breaks are and if you want the sound still going on when you’ll come back. For very long breaks you can route the audio through the internet a few times around the globe …

IMHO everything should be at least measured in centimeters because larger numeric values are much more impressive.

2 Likes