Instant program change OT pattern - possible?

search “chain behavior” in the manual. you can set a default for the project as a whole, or for each pattern individually. think you can choose DIRECT (i.e., instant), but can’t remember for sure off the top of my head…

hey Jurek I have the same problem using my MPC as master,did you figure out this?

Rhizome…can´t find chain behaviour on the manual would you please be so kind to point me on the right direction?

thanks guys

p.90/91 for Pattern specific control

p.37 for Project-level control of chained (cued) Pattern

Thanks Sicijk
yes I understand this settings…
let me explain mines here:
MPC sending Midi clock on dedicated Midi out to the OT on Midi Channel 11, and standar PC ,as it does with other gear for example to my Dave Smith Evolver changing both programs and sequences within Evolver´s own sequencer…on time working good
MPC running 16 BARS SEQUENCES
even when the MPC sequencer stopped,if I just dial between sequences without running the MPC sequencer, the OT shows instant PC on its own screen…and if I start the MPC sequencer on any sequence the OT will start right on time with the designated pattern ( for example sequence 1 to pattern
OT settings are:
MIDI SYNC
Transpose: Recieve
Clock: Recieve
Program Change: Recieve
Midi Channel: 11
PATTERN SCALE
16 / 16 1x
PATTERN SETTINGS (SAME ON ALL PATTERNS) page 90/91
Scale Mode: Normal
Chain Behaviour: PLEN (also tried 16/16) on all patterns AND also tried USE PRJ SET on all tracks
CONTROL SEQUENCER SETTINGS page 37
PATTERN CHANGE
CHAIN AFTER: pattern lenght (also tried 16/16)
on the MPC there is a kick drum
on the OT there is a close hat
when I start the MPC the OT starts right on time
but when I change sequence on the MPC to the next sequence where is no close hat from the OT,when the PC comes, the hat on the OT continue running for one bar before stop
and when I change back to the previous sequence the OT start the close hat one bar late
it is like if the OT sequence is shifted one bar “to the right” ,on the OT screen I can see that when the PC came in the OT don´t cue the next pattern before the change,instead it cue the next pattern during the 1st bar of the new sequence
BUT when I start the MPC on any sequence both machines start right on time
( ???)
I already reproduce this over and over reading the info carefully
please tell me what I´m doing wrong here or if it is a bug on the OT??

I’ve seen this issue come up before & to my knowledge there is no immediate fix as the Elektrons ‘que’ upon receipt of a PC msg then change at the end of the Master length.
I too use Cirklon using Scenes & this is a bit of a pain.

I’ve opted to use the Transition trick instead. Basically once I’ve established a theme I record it, flip the crossfader, then change Scenes (Cirklon) & wait till the Elektron Patterns fall into line, then a quick crossfader flip the other way brings in the new patterns.

This of course assumes all your your other gear’s audio is routed thru the OT however.

It sounds long winded I know but in actual use it’s a breeze. Obviously it gives you access to other Transition tricks/Scene(OT) tomfoolery too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just made a test on ableton ,sending PC using audio clip for the kick drum and a midi clip for the hat on the OT

exactly same behaviour ,the OT enter the PC one bar late ,both when it comes in and when it comes out,so it is not an MPC problem

all right,so it is a bug on the OT,what a bummer! this make it totally unusable on my set up…

thanks bluewolf, but your solution don´t apply to my rig :confused:

this is really bad

^ yes unfortunately unless you have the OT you’re out of luck with this solution.
This isn’t really a bug as all the Elektrons do it, they’re designed that way.
With Ableton or Cirklon you should be able to send PC early tho. On the Cirk you can use Aux events.

Ok I’m a bit confused now… I do have the OT… Triyng to figure out the solution :wink:

having the same problem here. with ableton controlling OT. this is very frustrating. any hope they fix it on OS update? this is happening with all Elektron gears?

Anyone find a solution or a work around for this issue. Causing me headaches!!

Send the program change early. I think that’s the best you can do. Something like 6-8 steps should be plenty.

I know, it’s a downer. :-/

1 Like

On ableton it is a simple solution to hav3 patterns change immediately, you just set the quatization to “none” in the launch section” and when you launch a scene it will change the pattern right away on Octatrack. I’m having the same problem with mpc live though. Maybe I should look that same feature on the mpc. I don’t think it has it though. I also am trying different tricks, mostly how I write the song…it does suck.

A workaround, send Prog change and Stop + Start messages. Instant pattern change.

I think it works with PChange + Note B(35)(Start /Restart)

5 Likes

yep pchange + note35 works for instant pattern change ! thanks!

4 Likes

Thank you! After hours of searching various forums, this did the trick! I’m now able to send external Program Change msgs to my Octa and AR and have them change instantly. I use the very useful Midihub to add Note 35 after the Program Change message.

1 Like

For 6 years ! :content:

I spoke too soon – Note 35 and Prgm Change changes the pattern instantly, but it also pauses Octratrack! Any ideas? Putting in a ‘start’ command right after Note 35 brings it back the the old behavior of waiting a bar to change.

Can’t try at the moment.
Stop/PC/Play works.

‘Stop/PC/Note35’ changes pattern instantly but also pauses the Octatrack

‘Stop/PC/Play’ has the one bar delay

Both ‘Stop/PC/Note35/Start’ & ‘Stop/PC/Note35/Note34’ have the one bar delay.

Must be something wrong in your settings. I will try later…