Instant gratification seems lacking on the AK

If you want a synth with 8 or 12 voice polyphony, and it is one of your major expectations with your new gear, then AK is not for you. It’s so simple.
On the other hand despite its 4-voice limit it can produce so busy, wide, rich music that hardly can be imagined on a single analog synth until it is tried out properly.

Instant poly 12 gratification ?

I do wonder how fun an A4 + DM12 combo would be. I can’t justify owning two keyboards and as I prefer working with the laptop anyway I’m just as well finding a sweet spot with my AK and soft synths but I do like the look/sound of the DeepMind.

Anyway, like most things Elektron you either get it or you don’t. Even when you do be prepared to lose it! If looking for something to get you cheesing immediately then I don’t think any of their stuff has that instant gratification to be honest.

Like I said a while back - if its a traditional poly you are after then it’s not the machine for you/ in my opinion.

It’s my lack of understanding of voice allocation that kind of threw me off; not AK’s fault. It’s a confusing world for the layman trying to get into synthesis nowadays, particularly with the sheer volume of choice out there.

1 Like

I will know how to combo of AK and DM12 will be very soon.

Anyways, anyone interested to hear/see what the AK can
do in the actual Analog Classics sounds department?

2 Likes

Sure.

Really want an AK. Already have the A4 but I would like more polyphony.
I’ve bought the DM12 but always wanted the AK…
Anyone wanna trade a DM12 + cash for an AK :grinning:

AK has the same polyphony as A4 and polychaining is not possible. Just plug your DM12 into midi port of A4 and you pretty much have AK.

Christ, don’t tempt me. It’s probably the route I’m gonna end up going down soon enough!

You can use AK Multi Map to split the keyboard and control A4.
I thinking of DM12 too but a 2nd A4 is possible.
I’d use my keyboard + Midipal to control both.

@sovietpop So the DM12 is not that complementary and you prefer A4 sounds ?

I would say the Dm12 is complementary because they are very different.

DM12 vs A4 from my perspective:
-The GUI from de Deepmind is really a joy to use, really. The way you can assign modulation without going to into menu is just brillant. I really like Elektron GUI / workflow but i have mixed feeling about those rotary encoders for filter sweep and the like. Not really fun to use on an analogue synth though i find it perfect on my Monomachine and Octatrack. The Deepmind is very immediate.

-The build quality of the DM12 is perfect, very impressive for a synth of this price. The only thing i dont like is the feel of the pitch bend, mod wheel not having very grippy material. Elektron is top quality imo , nothing to say here.

Sounds :
-DM12 : Good sound quality. Of course do not expect the sound of big vintage poly it is not. I would compare it to the Juno 106 though its not a clone. It think its definitely better than the DSI Prophet 8, better filter and more organic. Imo the DM12 is warmer than the A4 and more hifi. The A4 is grainier and darker, the OSC from the Deepmind has more energy but the A4 has 2 resonant filters. The filter from the Deepmind 12 is very Rolandish. (Remind me of my Juno 106)

Why i am thinking about trading my Deepmind for the AK ? Well , i play live and thats the reason i have hardware otherwise i would probably just use Diva if i need a poly, that softsynth is really that good imo.
The Deepmind is monotimbral, i knew that but its a big downer for me combined with the fact that when you change patch on the Dm12 is not instantaneous because of the FX engine. I doesnt take long (about a fraction of a second) but for my style of playing its a no go. I dont have the space for many keyboard so i have to have something versatile (split , very quick way of changing patch etc).
So , i am thinking about an AK + A4 with Axoloti managing poly on both units.

Well, for someone looking for a great poly, very immediate, awesome FX, killer mod matrix, great ARP (THAT CAN QUANTIZE TO MIDI CLOCK / KEY-SYNC, YES !!! ) ------IF----- you dont need multitimbrality for split and the like and instant patch access i cant think of anything better for the price.

As for the A4 , its not the richest sounding analog but i cant find anything more versatile for live use.

3 Likes

Thanks Scot!!

That’s one of the best A4 patch how to videos I’ve seen! There are so many people on this and other forums, always posting how the A4/Keys sounds new school…can’t sound like a Moog or Oberheim. You’re tutorial completely kills all that BS! I understand a lot of people are just parroting what they read, and that’s a shame because the Analog 4/K is a great sounding synth!

I hope you make more Videos Scot! Really great work!

N.

2 Likes

I’m glad you liked it. I am working on more even now.

5 Likes

sounds like you would benefit from using expression/stomp pedals… zoom do great ones, so do electro harmonics-- multi delays and verbs, all sorts… i never rely on a synth to do the business for the types of sounds i want… always couple it with one or two extra helpers - as even a moog voyager can sound terrible unless its treated. many folks spend more time wincing at the sounds they create than loving them, its very common.

OMG! What a perfect comment. I see presets as just something to rip apart to see how they did it and then to be basically abandoned. I’ve always thought on pro-level instruments that “presets” should really be more like “templates” that can be used as a starting point. Not the end.