Instant gratification seems lacking on the AK

AK takes the lead and Prophet 6 is the backing band. I don’t really use OB I just play a sequence on the AK and accompany with the prophet 6.

Trying to figure out how best to incorporate sequenced pads with the AK and a secondary P6 module (or the like).

I want big cosmic 70s sweeping pads driven by the AK, but there’s only so much I can do live before switching to the drums (play in a proggish/funky/heavy trio). I kind of envisioned letting the intro naturally collapse or triggering stops through a drum pad sending MIDI control to the AK.

My chops with synths and programming are not nearly good enough yet, but I’d basically like to take the best of YouTube live ambient and kick it into heavy grooves playing off of what I’ve built up with the AK (and friends).

Do you already have a prophet 6 or are you contemplating a prophet 6?

I’ve noticed that when I play the AK alongside the prophet 6 I only use two mono voices and let the 6 blend it all in. The key though is practice your chops on the prophet 6. I should also be doing that too. It’s on my todo list after I fight this cold.

Contemplating, but I want more voices for pads than the AK can deliver.

Somebody knowledgeable esplain this to me:

Let’s say I have a nice throbbing bass line using a single voice on track 1.

Track 2 is an arpeggiator, playing something weird and wonderful.

Let’s say on track 3 of the AK, I play a big 6 note chord with a poly pad, so I’m obviously running out of voices at this point. But I have my trusted Prophet 6 module hooked up, and ideally I’m triggering this chord on it, filling the room full of magical DSI lushness.

Question 1: is this even possible? can I send MIDI chords like this to another poly?
Question 2: can I mute the output of track 4, i.e. make it more of a “transparent” track that’s there for the sequencing ability?

Switch the AK keyboard into midi mode. Then you can use the keys as a controller. Not so the sequencer, not so the a4.

Q2, track four can’t send midi. See answer 1 above. But sure, you can leave the oscillator volume down and still have the sequencer run. If your external module is CV, you can sequence that from track four.

2 Likes

You can’t sequence external gear with the AK?

AK/a4 don’t send midi from the sequencer. Only Cv. AK can be used as a midi keyboard controller.

Also, see my edit above, you type fast.

1 Like

I really just assumed it could. Oi. Reading the salty tears thread over here. MIDI OUT Confusion

Seems kind of mind-boggling they’d exclude that.

Them’s the breaks.

2 Likes

No MIDI tracks on Elektron’s Analog line of gear.
Only the digital Elektrons have had that capability.

1 Like

Did you just tell me to buy a monomachine?

6 Likes

Those robots are always whispering their gossip in quiet corners and halls, if you choose to hear them.

4 Likes

And CV is really not polyphonic is it? Furiously reading Wikipedia entry atm.

I don’t know if there is such a thing as polyphonic CV, but the A4’s is not.

You have four outs. You can send whatever you want to them using the sequencer. What you do with four voltages on the other side is up to you

2 Likes

That is true. If you had the right modular rig I guess you could potentially sequence chords, but you’d end up want some EG modles etc as well, at least I would think. I’m very new to the whole CV sequencing thing.

Pratically for most people we probably aren’t sequencing chords with the CV from the A4? I’m not expert, are there any poly analogs that can be sequenced by CV?

I’ve been putting my foot in my mouth a lot lately. Probably a sign I need to post less and make more music ;p

Yeah. Probably not. I don’t know of any poly cv synths.
Sorry, didn’t mean to be flip.

1 Like

Oh no worries at all! I like the discussion : )

The Pro has only 2 voices, and 2 paraphonic voices.
You can do a dual paraphony with A4, sending CCs to tune differently the 2 osc but it is quite complicated.

1 Like