Instant gratification seems lacking on the AK

So this gave me goosebumps today:

I’d love to be able to get a reasonable proximity of this sound on my AK. Is this 8 (12?) voices REV2 going to outgun the AK?

It depends on which of those sounds you are most interested in. The four-voice polyphony of the A4 is going to be the main limitation compared to something like the Rev2. The Rev2 is clearly designed to be a more conventional polysynth and therefore will be much easier and more immediate for those sorts of things. However, I have an original Prophet-5 and I can get quite close to some of the sounds I make on it with the A4. I’m about halfway finished with the first tutorial video in which I make a Minimoog-style lead while describing all of the synthesis basics used to achieve the patch. After that, I’ll make a video showing how to do an A4 version of a typical Prophet-5 patch.

7 Likes

Stellar. I don’t even know where to start with that REV2 patch. Maybe I’ll grab a free poly VST and try to find something reasonably close to that so I can copy the settings.

Which Rev2 patch? There are a few of them in that video… If it’s the first one, he’s holding more than four notes, so that will not be possible to play in the same manner on the A4.

No idea, it’s at the :51 second mark.

Oh, I see… yeah, that’s more notes than the A4 can play at once, but the sound itself is a pretty typical polysynth patch.

Ok, and two notes on the left hand, four on the right hand, so 6 voices I’m assuming?

Looks that way - maybe more since no notes sound like they’re being stolen.

I think I’m going to run that sysex wipe I saw in another thread, install Overbridge and grab the Prophanity VST, and see if I can reproduce what’s going on on patches I like.

Seems like the best approach.

I have to say, the title of this thread has me wanting to get an AK. Anything worth having is worth working for. :wink:

8 Likes

That’s always an excellent way to learn any new craft!

Patching up a Prophet-5 style pad on the Analog Four yesterday had me pining for an Analog Keys as well. Not sure I can make the space though…

1 Like

Well you have an exceptional setup as is so you probably shouldn’t stress it too much.:grin:

1 Like

Yeah, but that joystick!

2 Likes

Looking forward to your tutorials on how to make these vintage patches on the A4. Hope you will present them front and center on the forum for us!

1 Like

I will indeed, hopefully the first will appear in the next few days.

1 Like

The sequencer is doing a lot in terms of sounddesign. All those p-locks…

3 Likes

Multi Map is great, especially for drums, sfx. Up to 128 different sounds with the keyboard or external gear.
Multi Map can be used for instant pattern change too, transpose, midi out…
Recorded, Multi Map sounds are automatically plocked and you can modify them with macros.

With default kit and few knob tweaks I have Instant gratification after 2 months with A4. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Wow !
I had overlooked this, have to study this, it’s impressive.
Almost as much as your new avatar !

:smile:

We can access pref now. Same avatar as on AF. :wink:
Ot + A4 + Multi Map = :loopy:

1 Like