Insert a character or space in naming menu

is it possible? I’m often creating files with similar names for samples, projects etc - so i copy, paste & edit. This is fine if I’m just changing the characters at the end of the file name, but if I move the cursor back and try to add something in the middle it overwrites rather than inserts…

So actually insert a space into an existing string?

Not that I am aware of, but I don’t know much about the Octatrack.

Projects you can just rename the physical folder.

Samples are a bit more of a pain, and I wouldn’t recommend doing that as you would have to reload them again.

Unless…

Be care wit special letters:

Last week I had problem when copied projects from card to card - my laptop can’t copy project because of it had name contained “+” caracter.

I had to change it in OCTA and, after this action it was copied.

Good advice. As cool as umlaut’s et al are, probably not the best idea to use them.

Thanks Rusty but I’m just talking about using the naming menu when I save a project or sample - not going into the existing pool and messsing with stuff.

For example - say I know I’ll be saving a bunch of similar samples and I want them to be called fuzztunekick1, fuzztunekick2, fuzztunekick3 etc.

Best way I have found is - while saving the first sample, do a COPY after entering “fuzztunekick”, then I can PASTE that for each subsequent save & just add the number on the end. Saves time and makes the sampling/saving process a bit less painful

All good - as long as the changes/additions are at the END of the filename.

But when I decide fuzztunekick8 should be fuzztuneSTEREOkick8 this happens - I paste fuzztunekick from my clipboard, I use LEFT to go back to the ‘k’ and start entering S, T, E… but by the time I’ve got that far I remember the OT doesn’t insert characters (AFAIK) and I now have fuzztuneSTEk because it OVERWRITES instead of INSERTS.

A small incovenience, but as everything from Word, to phones, to my ancient minidisc defaults to inserting characters, it’s something I keep meaning to ask about- it would make this whole ‘OT Accountant’ role just a bit easier!

I just use an underscore _

spaces aren’t a problem. Inserting characters is…
guess i’ve overcomplicated this, so putting it simply:
In the naming menu. does anyone know how to change:
“EXAMPLE OF SAMPLE FILENAME”
to
“EXAMPLE OF LONGER SAMPLE FILENAME”
without having to delete / rewrite the two words “SAMPLE FILENAME”
?

Sorry, just trying to provide solutions.

I don’t think this functionality has been available on any of the machines, at least not to my knowledge, but then its never been much of an issue if we are talking MD/MM et al.

Thanks Rusty! All help appreciated

No insert !
I wanted to write a novel on the Ot. Bad luck. :sketchy:
Seriously, I’m writing a tutorial in Arranger Reminder lines. :loopy:

2 Likes

How can I put the Octatrack into insert mode (as opposed to overstrike) when I’m typing names in? I just want to insert a character in the middle of a name and I feel like it should be easy.

I haven’t found a way. I did ask about it before but maybe you’ve put the question more clearly…