Inputs / Cue Outputs / Main Outputs Help

Hi all! I’ve been in the middle of attempting to configure my set up with how I wanna play live, my setup looks like:

• Octatrack
  • Analog RYTM
  • Eurorack
  • Mackie 16 channel mixer

The Octatrack serves as my master clock/midi hub and as an effects box essentially. I like using track 8 as master track and using the fader for effects sweeps etc.

My approach:

• Analog RYTM individual track outs (just kick, snare, and hat) into inputs A, B, and C. Eurorack synth voice out into input D. From here I’ve attempted to route inputs A and B to the two cue outs. Every time I try to hard pan inputs A and B (one left, the other right) one of them like reverses the sound coming out of the cue out (i.e. if input A was the snare track from the RYTM, hard panning it makes it sound like a distorted snare hit of some sort. The goal was to basically get 4 individual outputs by hard panning the cue outs and the main stereo out. Haven’t had any luck.

Another weird thing that’s never happened until now… On my Master track on the OT, when ever I use the filter effect, something is wrong with the Width parameter. As soon as I adjust it, it does the like exact opposite, and then I try to put it back to its original 0 value but it then just sounds filtered and like reverbed? Really weird. I know this wouldn’t make sense but it didn’t start happening until I started going from my individual track outs on the RYTM into the OT, that’s what I’ve noticed.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

When strange effects with the master track happen it sometimes helps to temporary deactivate the usage of track 8 as master track and activate it again.

1 Like

Building on this topic with a general main/cue out put routing question. I’m a fairly new user and was trying to figure out how to route one static machine say for one song, and another from a separate static machine song out as a cue track, both going into a separate dj mixer for mixing imitating turntables. I know there is a section in the manual about just using the crossfader on the octatrack itself, bit I can’t seem to figure out how to do it this way. Seems like it would be Handy. I hear my cue track isolated as a separate sound source into “channel 2” on my dj mixer, but the main outs contain the main track on “channel 1” and I can here the cue song bleeding thru on it. Anyone know why or what settings to change to avoid this? Thanks

How much? A compressor on your mixer?
Are you sure that bleeding track is not sent to Main some way?

It may be sent somehow. That’s what I’m unsure about. I’m not that familiar with the audio routing possibilities. Bleeding was the wrong word. I can here the “cued” track on channel 2 of my mixer. That’s all that comes out of channel 2. Channel one I can here the main. Track, and what’s cued.

If you press Cue+track you can adjust the level of Volume sent to Cue for each track. You may try this and set it to 0 to see what changes.

Thanks buddy. I’ll try tonight and let you know. I just figured what ever you send out of a track that isn’t in “cue mode” , would come out of the main outputs only, and any track that was “cued” would come out if the cue outputs only. Or at least that’s my understanding.

How would you tell? Are tracks not either exclusively “main” or “cue”? For example, a very basic example. Im on preset A1. With outs running stereo from main and the cue outs. Main going to channel 1 on my mixer, cue outs going to channel 2. With all tracks playing, when I press cue + whatever track and it starts flashing, I should only hear it thru channel 2 of my mixer where the cue outs are routed no? I still here the cued tracks they my main outs routed to channel 1 of my mixer

Got it! You have to MUTE cued tracks to make them Come exclusively thru the cued outputs ONLY and not simultaneously come thru the main outputs. Thanks for the help guys. To me this makes a great option for using the octatrack as a dj setup in particular.

1 Like

In CONTROL > AUDIO menu, you can set STUDIO MODE. With that mode you can mute CUE and MAIN at the same time.
The CUE Level is also displayed.
You may prefer Normal mode with independent mutes.

There are also several options concerning CUE in Personalize menu.

Inputs ABCD can be sent directly to CUE.
(CUE + REC1AB/REC2CD). Fixed level, 100.

1 Like