Increasing delay time on Octatrack. 2 bars?

Hi All,

I would love to increase a delay length on OT.
Can I do it with some LFO magic tricks or is there any different way to achieve it?

If I am not wrong a maximum delay on OT is a half bar. You can double it by changing the tempo, so let’s say that if I would play on 100 bpm I would have half bar of delay, on 50 bpm I would have 1 bar.

Could I have 2 bars, or 4? Is it doable? I wish I could change the tempo below 30, then I would not have a problem.

Many thanks!

I don’t think you can increase delay time except with tempo dividing. Btw you can divide tempo by 2, and use x2 scale, to keep original tempo.

Longer delays are possible with CUE resampling and feedback (play CUE recording, send it to CUE).

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply man!

Could you tell me a bit more how could I achieve longer decay time using CUE? I am not sure if I got it…

I don’t have OT with me, I can reproduce and describe it better next week. Don’t hesitate to remind me.

I won’t hesitate, trust me.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

You can use a pickup machine as kind of a delay, just set src3 to whatever track you want to delay (or cue or main if you want to do that), turn INAB/CD to - and set RLEN to the delay time you want and press REC1 to start it. Use gain to control feedback.

3 Likes

Hi Kalle, thanks for that!

I am not really sure if I got it. I mean, I think that I know what you meant with using pickup machine as a delay but I would still need BASE and WDTH option from delay settings. Would that be possible? I need two bars, this is my ultimate goal and I would be in heaven.

Sezare56, have you managed to check that by any chance?

Thanks again guys!

1 Like

As I said, I don’t hesitate.

Would you be able to clarify that for me, please?

A bit, 2 years later! :content:

The principle is to use a dedicated Flex track (T7 for instance), recording CUE with a rec trig, and playing it with a trig.

You have to send CUE from tracks you want to be affected, and you can increase T7 CUE send to increase feedback.

Concerning delay time, it depends on how frequent are your trigs.

Ex : 4 bar pattern
Rec trig and Flex trig on steps 1 and 33

5 Likes

Waw 2 years for 2 bars, that’s an extended timing :joy:

1 Like

Another nice thing about this is that on the track you’re using as a send, you have both effects slots free so you can do a lot of stuff that the normal delay effect can’t do. Plus multiple taps (every play trig on the send track is like adding another head on a tape echo), LFO modulation of amp page parameters… there’s a whole lot of potential in there that I haven’t explore yet (I mainly use the cue-send trick for reverb, and lately I can’t even spare a track for that),

1 Like

Including pitch and other playback parameters!

Related topic: Delays for _FREE_

I am not sure if this is what I do is wrong or the effect is different to the one that I was expecting.

The delay is half bar long, so let’s say I play something with 88BPM, by changing tempo to 44BPM and metronome to 4/8, the delay is twice long and have a whole bar of delay time.

If I would be able to change the tempo to 11BPM I would achieve desired effect, as 22BPM would have 1.5 bar and 11BPM would be 2 bar long. Is that possible with the method you are talking about? If yes, I had to do something wrong.

I can’t tell what’s wrong without more details.

:thinking:
11BPM=4 bars
22BPM=2 bars