Inability to fine-tune starting point is super inconvenient

Yeah, I was considering swapping for a Toraiz for a minute. I started getting better at making bassdrums in the RYTM so I’m happy now. The live performance features and complexity or the sequencer are better for me. Now, if the Toraiz increases the 32 second per sample limit, I’ll swap in a heartbeat. I could DJ/remix entire sets that way.

RYTM is cool for what it is. The only kick I ever used was silky, and the only snare I used was natural. The clap is meh. I’m not really into making synth patches out of snares, and rims. I’d much rather just use my synths. The RYTM was most appealing to me as a sample player with analog filters. It kinda sucked at that though for my workflow.

I’m Elektron-less again, and I’ve tried so hard to make their boxes work for me. I’ve grown tired of not knowing anything about what they are planning. It makes me really appreciate Pioneer’s approach of laying out a roadmap outlining the plans for future updates.

i was pretty interested to see how the toraiz pans out, looks like sample time is limited to 32s “for now” a bit disappointing there :frowning:

At first, the 32s limit seemed like a big deal. But it’s not really a big deal to my actual workflow. I can always cut up samples larger than 32s (if I ever even have any) into smaller portions. I ultimately think they’ll remove this limitation eventually though.

man have you tried using SDS drop and overbridge together with whatever DAW you use?

the start time resolution on the RYTM could be better but the best workaround for me is SDS drop and overbridge running simultaneously with Ableton Live running in the background to catch the audio back in through my audio interface and quickly export/drag drop back into the RYTM. It’s pretty fast and as you do it more you get much faster and more efficient at the process.

the visual sample editor in overbridge is super handy, much more intuitive and obviously has a full waveform visual of the sample for more coarse adjustments

i actually prefer chopping samples this way than through the OT. especially for things I need to time stretch and chop at a more fine resolution. mouse and keyboard is more efficient than encoders and function + clicks for me. i can see if you don’t want a computer in the process that this is out of the question, but hopefully some others read this and give it a whirl :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds like too much work, and I don’t care for having a laptop involved. I’m more of an MPC/Roland SP-404 type of guy. I love chopping in both of those types of fashion. All I really need is that ability to set the starting point.

Never seen this thread till today, surprised how much push back on a useful request.
I’d forgo the bit reduction for a fine start time param.
I’d be nice if it the start went from 0-127 too, 16x…and so on, ya know?
Even though the AR might have not been conceived to do this, it’s 1 param away from some serious workflow enhancement.
Samples sound good in the AR.

2 Likes

I would have kept my RYTM if two things were implemented, or at least planned to be implemented. First, the ability to fine-tune the starting point of samples (perhaps by pushing the encoder while adjusting the starting point; eliminating the need for a new parameter). Second, the ability to load & handle stereo samples at the expense of using up two tracks; this is how the Electribe 2S works.

I see no reason why we couldn’t doubletap the SAMPLE button to get access to finer start/end editing. As the UI is set now, double tapping the SAMPLE button only opens the sample selector view, which seems kinda redundant since the same view also opens when messing about with the sample selector parameter.

Doesn’t the LFO depth has a much finer resolution than the sample Engine? I mean 12 bit vs 7 bit… Set the LFO to slowest speed, Target to sample start, lfo type to square, and control sample start with depth.

Will try this tomorrow, apologize in advance if this was an idiot’s idea… But I am pretty sure that someone already mentioned this approach somewhere, only i can’t find the Link…

K

1 Like

What a shameful waste of the single LFO you have to work with. But if it wasn’t going to get used anyhow, I don’t see why not

It won’t interpolate btw

Damn. So no solution then?

besides getting it prepared right in your editor before hand, no :wink:

It would be pretty useful if sample start and end were high resolution like the LFO. There is space in the sysex for it, and its possible to fine tune start or end with the LFO so I’m guessing an OS update could add fine control.

An upgrade like this wouldn’t encroach on the Octa’s territory very much with all it’s much more advanced sampling features. Preparing samples in a daw only works on select material. I like using vocal phrases and re-wording them, but trying to p lock certain words is impossible at times.

I have to agree. The low resolution sample position is a let down in an otherwise nice device.

When experimenting with the timestretch settings that are explained elsewhere on the forum, one can finetune the starting point of samples with the SPK knob. There are restrictions with this method though, like having to have triggers on each step and therefore limited use of release time for example, but i really like to use this method. I love the surprises one gets with different, unplanned starting points of (percussive) loops. Having said that, a regular start finetune function would be awesome

Yup… I’d like the “LFO” style higher precision trim for start and end points on all my one shots. Uploading samples to the device even with SDS is just kinda slow and flow breaking, especially when that perfect sound is just a smidge off when you tried it in the DAW for the 5th time. :slight_smile: Gets even more annoying when it’s a sound design thing that you’re just taking a chance of some of the transients syncing up with a couple narrow bands of tempo. I’m using sample volume trigs and amp tuning as a workaround, but what if it weren’t a problem to workaround? I’d say that would make for a better device.

I pretty much only use my RYTM as a sample mangler and playback machine, so I too would love this feature. I like to chop up drum loops and spoken work samples…