In what ways is the Monomachine workflow/sequencer outdated?

ah yes, dig into kb track settings; makes a world of a difference.

1 Like

You can assign a secondary track to be trigged whenever the current one is trigged. Also these can be chained - for example, if 1 trigs 2, which then trigs 3, then 3 can be trigged by 1 and 2 separately. Also you can still sequence notes on the track being trigged by another track, so it just gets “busier” with all the extra events.

Yeah! Both the filter tracking on/off (both are useful for different purposes) and the 2 secondary destinations. The latter make the arp a lot more flexible (e.g. assign to flanger delay time or reverb decay).

2 Likes

What do you mean be faking individual track lengths? I’ve tried all kinds of stuff to achieve this type of thing but haven’t been able to do it yet.

I sold my Mnm back in 2014, so some details might be wrong. But what i did was set up the arp. You can have offsets so it works like a stepsequencer inside a stepsequencer. I had the trig set up on page 2 in the regular sequencer. Then i changed back to 16 steps so it was just triggered once. Then it went on without retrigging every loop. This has other drawbacks compared to the more modern Elektron sequencers.

I also found a way to use the arp to get a different “swing” than other tracks. Set up the arp at the fastest speed, and disable some steps. I got something similar to 57% swing that way.

Another cool thing with the ARP is SID mode. That way you could for example have regular notes going in the sequencer. Then you could disable step 1, of the arp. And if you inserted a chord it would work a bit like microtiming.

4 Likes

Hey, thanks! I will try these out. :slight_smile:
Yeah, the SID arp is v nice and would be a great addition for the new devices too!

Yeah. I really think its a shame they havent included that in newer models. I found a way to do some of the sid style stuff on A4, but its not as flexible as the Mnm one.

1 Like

It really is. Lets hope that they’ll focus on that a bit more in the future. :rofl:

One other nice thing about the arp: a chord can be locked with a ridiculous number of notes, whereas on the A4 and OT you’re limited to 4 max. So in some cases you don’t even need note offset to use @thomaso’s individual track length trick.

Combine this with the random note mode and you can get completely random melodies, but constrained to a specific rhythm and chord/scale. You can combine this with LFO tricks to fake some trig conditions (by assigning, say, a held square LFO to volume) as well. And then, of course, all the LFO parameters can be locked and/or modulated, too…

2 Likes

Well, This turned into another “Monomachine love” thread real quick :laughing:

7 Likes

How does the MnM handle retrigs and triggering the same track multiple times per step (ratcheting)? Does it have a dedicated seperate function for that or do you use the Arp to do those things? On the Syntakt for example you can even fade in or fade out retrigs and other fun stuff.

1. turn on arp set to 16 steps and deselect every trig except the second
  2. turn off all swing trigs on one track and all swing trigs on the track you want microtimed, then use swing to dial in the microtiming.
  3. use ISQR LFO on HALF and dial in ATK

There are other ways too, if you think of synthesis as always present and that you are just evoking it, it makes more sense then thinking it starts with the attack.

edit* #3 won’t work with bbox unless you set RTG to 2 and play with RTIM

1 Like

it depends on the bpm / amp / arp speed. For example you could do a hard ratchet but since the ATK is bpm dependent any value over 64 will give you interesting fades that bleed into other steps.