Impressed by Heat but damn it's expensive

I heared the magic in one of cuckoos videos, since then i want it, but its still hard to justify it, i think i will give in soon, when taxes are returned. I hope for a magic black friday sale, spring offer or something. From what i heared it can give low and high frequency boost, and still sound natural. Much better than Fabfilter saturn, which sounds a tiny bit metallic when its working at high frequencys. Well not 100% sure what is eaten by the AAC codecs or mp3 from the internet.

Had an hour on a friend’s AH awhile ago. Nice sound, impressed. And barely scraped surface with all the env/lfo/filter stuff. Wasn’t entirely convinced it would give me anything noticeable over good plugins but it was definitely a lot more hands on intuitive/fun. And definitely does some very nice stuff to source material. Hoping to borrow it for a weekend at some point and a/b against go-to plugins. Gas on hold til then…

I believe some good tweaks on a good plugin are invaluable…
I mean, IMO, iZotope Trash2 can deliver A LOT…even more of an AH.
But I still not complain having paid €750 for AH and €30 for Trash2

2 Likes

it is the same problem hardware vs sofware that is the question

Could you A/B with trash on master vs analog heat on master, and let us guess?

Yeah I know what you’re saying. Thing is I don’t have a lot of £ and need to prioritise purchases so AH kinda lurks in the ‘Mmmm, dunno if I really need this’ gas area until I can hear it against what I already have.

Done something…

1 Like

Some more clean boost but using the peak filter. I’m also throwing the TR-09 in the mix.

It’s just fun to jam away on the A4 now that it sounds better. Hopefully as time goes on my tracks will get more interesting…until then

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/peakfilter

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem that expensive for all that you get… 8 analog distortion types (a good mono guitar distortion pedal is $200 or so by comparison); envelope follower, LFO, EQ, filter… seems like a pretty great deal. But I haven’t tried one.

2 Likes

I’d love to try one out, just want to strap it over a really sparse modular patch to get all brittle and crusty…
Sound great on those clicky spit patterns!

TR-09 through the Round Fuzz and Peak Filter. Not sure how long I can listen to this one - but it’s Round Fuzz :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/round-fuzz

Scratch that one above - I flipped on the A4 and turned the Heat dial to High Gain

6 Likes

reminds me of being in an old warehouse in the 90s when the speakers blew out.

Clearly I have nothing better to do with my day than play with my AH and A4. I should get a different hobby that doesn’t involve pretending to make rave music. Here’s the Enhancement setting.

3 Likes

High Gain - I’m just making these up as I go btw…the A4 and Heat

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/highgain_v_2

1 Like

im a hypocrite, i must admit :slight_smile: not long after the Heat came out i rant and said: Thats too expensive for just a bit of Overdrive, has no sequencer and stuff. And on Monday afternoon, this just happened:

Oops, where did this thing came from?? Ok, now that its here i can as well keep it! :smiley:

Have to try it out a bit more in the future, did not had a lot of time since. But it instantly made my DAW productions feel “better”, thats where i tested it so far. Guess it will also be a great “summing” device for all of my other Elektron gear. To have a single Device recording my Hardware in general as well, without the need to always hook up the A4 or AR when i want to record my Drumbrute and Stuff. But yeah, its expensive. And im an crazy hypocrite, did i already mentioned that?! :smiley:

6 Likes

I see my ski hat :slight_smile:

Nice Heat BTW.

2 Likes

Just for the fun of it, I did a Heat No Heat A/B comparison

:0 - :24 seconds: No heat

:24 - end: Heat

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/a-no-heat-b-heat

6 Likes

Hey djadonis, do you use the heat on the whole mix?

Yes, the whole mix. I have almost all of my boxes (A4, Rytm, TR9 etc) going into different channels on a Mackie 1602. The output of the Mackie goes into the Heat and the Heat goes into my soundcard.

I haven’t used the Heat as a soundcard yet. Maybe I’ll experiment with that today.

I’m recording right into Ableton.

1 Like