'Immediate' synths

I finally got to see and hear the Prophet 6 in person. As the owner was explaining why he chose this synth I thought of this thread. He plays music with a lot of improvisation (jazz, funk, etc.) and placed high priority on being able to get to any frequently used parameter fast. Thus he wanted as little menu diving as possible, and no button combos to memorize.

I still lust after a Dreadbox Medusa, but thanks to him (damn the guy!) I’m GASing for a P6 module now.

2 Likes

I have one, and i Love it! All parameter seem to interact.

Digitakt was absolutely immediate for me, actually %)

1 Like

Yeah, it’s helped me lose my other GAS - the one for the Prophet X. My friend who has a P6 said he tried the Prophet 12, Prophet 8, and Rev2; and previously owned a System 8. He got tired of the System 8 sounds, didn’t like the P8/Rev2 filter, and found the P12 to be too much of a tweaker’s synth - he likes to be able to tweak on the fly at the gig, not spend hours sound-designing. I haven’t bagged on the PX as much as the various critics, but I could see myself burning many hundreds of hours going through the sample library and trying stuff.

I think this nails what immediate is :+1:

3 Likes

I just hooked up my SH-01a to midi cntrol to u-He Repro 5, midi assgned as many sliders and knobs that coexist on the Repro-5…Soundcard (repro) to OT thru 1/2, and SH-01a to thru 3/4. Pad on both (SH-01a in poly mode)…tuned together…well. Damn. Record now

1 Like

Yeh, I posted that snippet of the OB-6 quick start guide because it made me LOL after reading the AK, A4 and AR manuals since January! And it really is that easy to make the OB6 sound brilliant.
On the Rev2, I sometimes get carried away with all the LFO’s and mod routings (my bad, but I like it).

The Rev2 and OB6 share many similar voicings, which are the basic ones that most people find comfort in. So, it’s not unnatural to say either is better than the other. However, if your palate necessitates “that OB sound”, well then, hello OB6, goodbye $$$$