'Immediate' synths

Fair enough.

It seems like that’s a big part of this thread (what is considered an immediate synth) & it seems like we all have different opinions of what immediate means to us. It’s interesting to see what others think tho & what synths people consider to be immediate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve spent some time with the Peak this week. It’s definitely immediate by my reckoning! It seems to be the best of both worlds for the differing approaches above - having both presets (although I’d venture they aren’t particularly strong from the factory) aaand it’s 90% one knob per function. Plenty of sweet spots to be found too, it’s a really fun synth!

2 Likes

My vote goes to the sh01a, its basic bread and butter and (tiny) hands on. But i guess most mono’s are immediate. Like ms20 and model D, as they all have the sound to fit.
But the sh01a has patch memorie which is nice addition. You do need to route it trough the digitone or a4 for some FX unfortunatelly.

1 Like

I’ve been to a music store today and tried a few synths. Most of the stuff didn’t convince me. Sadly the OB-6 didn’t - thought it might be a good fit. But in the end it sounds almost like the microKorg (or any other analog). Immediate maybe …but not my cup of coffee. The hyped Deepmind …total crap. I tested the DSI Rev2 and after that the Deepmind 12. Deepmind sounds was an insult to my ears.

I will definitely buy the Rev2 this fall/winter. Love it so much! This and the Waldorf Quantum were way ahead of most of the other stuff I tried. Would also consider the Quantum very much immediate - so much fun twiddling with all those knobs and get instant audible change in the sound characteristic. You can’t make the Rev2 and Quantum sound bad! But the Waldorf is waaaaaaay too big for my taste.

1 Like

Yea! Coming from an OT MKII for all my drums for the past few months to an AR MKII, the Rytm is incredibly immediate!

And I think for a groove box, the DVCO is a relatively immediate synth voice, too.

1 Like

Can you tell me why you think the AR is immediate? I only have tried the A4 mk2 so far and to me it was not even 1% as immediate as the DSI Rev2 e.g. (which is because you have direct access through knobs to everything on the Rev2)

:rofl: a 3k microkorg

1 Like

I’ve noticed a lot of people in forums calling the Microkorg analog.
I know it’s an anolog modeling synth, but I thought analog modeling meant that it is 100% digital, but made to SOUND like an analog synth.

Maybe I’m wrong, does analog modeling actually mean analog?

Immediacy costs 2500 bucks obviously!

1 Like

you’re not wrong. it is 100% digital

1 Like

You can get immediacy much cheaper. I can’t judge the sound, I never heard it live. But I reckon the 2,5 k include the price for the names Oberheim and DSI.

…that was a joke of course. I just bought the Rev2-8 Voice. I mean it’s almost autumn, isn’t it? I hope I won’t miss the other 8 voices - but I love that I can upgrade to 16!

1 Like

That’s what I figured, I think “analog modeling” throws people off.
The Microkorg DOES have an analog-like sound to it (which is what it’s modeled after, so…ya).

To keep on track with this thread, the Microkorg to me is not immediate, but at the same time I DO like it & I have fun playin with the matrix, I guess because it’s something different. I almost sold it, but ran it thru Analog Heat & now I’m not sure I’m selling it anymore.

Like I said, compared to OT and other grooveboxes.

Little menu diving. Everything to make music just one button away.

Granted, that’s less immediate than “no button” / no menu.
But on a big synth like a DSI or Roland or Nord I’m visually scanning the panel for the section of the synth I need to access in a moment, which takes me no more time than pushing an “OSC” or “AMP” button, which, with others, are all grouped very closely.
I get to what I need in just about the same amount of time.

Rytm MKII’s bigger size and layout, with more dedicated buttons makes it more immediate than the MK1, as well. And I think OT MKII is more immediate (for me) than OT MK1.

A4/A4MKII is a different beast, since it is a deeper synth. More secondary menus with important functions in the OSC/ENV/LFO sections.

1 Like

I won’t sell mine either - and for me as a beginner the matrix is the part which prevents it to be immediate. But it has a nice keyboard that I use with all my other synths (DN only so far …but soon the Rev2 as well - so excited!!). But sooner or later I guess I will have to get a Keystep to make use of after touch.

2 Likes

I’m going to offer an alternate interpretation of immediacy: to me, immediacy is the speed at which I can get sound(s) up and running in a sequencer, which allows me to start tweaking and layering other sounds. So anything that reduces the metaphorical distance between the synth and the sequencer is “immediate.”

You’re all going to call me crazy but my A4 is the most “immediate” synth I own. I can sketch out four parts in 15 or 20 minutes. If I had to do that with some other sequencer and my other synths I’d still be plugging everything in and farting around with MIDI or CV and tuning oscillators. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I won’t. I’m very fast with it as well

1 Like

Just the Wheel LD patch alone was enough for me to keep my Microkorg a whole year longer than I should have :wink:

1 Like

Although it’s a sampler, I find the Digitakt to be very immediate for making synth sounds.

I find knobby analog synths to be most immediate, but with the Digitakt I can take those sounds and whatever else and quickly turn it into something crazy. I’ve got some of the most f*cked up sounds I’ve ever heard from the Digitakt, and the process feels effortless the whole time.

2 Likes