'Immediate' synths

Thanks @clickclack777 I’ll definitely give it a try! I could never get enough “weight” when creating bass patches so Sub37 & Dominion club took care of that.

Cheers!

The most immediate synth I have ever played was the Roland Gaia. Without getting into a debate on the sound, the user interface is the best I have seen on any synth. The Gaia gets a lot of hate but I have a soft spot for it as it was my very first synth, and I think it is perfect for that.

Nord Lead 3 with it’s LED ringed encoders, nearly no menu diving for sound editing, mostly one knob per function. It’s even labeled as Performance Synthesizer.

4 Likes

IMO the best immediate concept for everybody, who would like to dig deep in synths is a modular synth.

I started with a semi-modular/modular synth combination (MS 20/MS 50). TBH the true reason to get those had been that I had an offer at a very low price, which I could afford. But my synths forced me to dig right into the roots of synthesis, check out and experiment with each available module or circuit to get the most benefit from the instruments.

I think this might have shaped my mind and how I check out new synths before purchasing today. Even having no memories at this stage payed off … somehow …, because I had to practise changing and re-building my own sounds on the fly … again and again :wink:

1 Like

You have 4 layers to create thick sounds if single layer unison or chorus aren’t applied. Performance patches doesn’t require all 4 patches to be saved as separate presets which means that you only need the save one patch and alter it slightly by shape, detune or pitch on the other layers.

1 Like

I understand how to layer programs and that performances can have up to 4 unique programs w/ 26 voices minus unison chorus etc. however I haven’t been able to replicate the same sub oscillator weight that say dominion club (2 sub oscs!) or sub 37 has. I guess that’s what I’m getting at.
I’ll definitely experiment w/shape osc config as suggested. Every sound the A1 does is great!!

My immediate synth is the Arturia Minibrute. Always inspiring.

I also love my Korg Volca Keys very much.

At the moment I am getting into my A4 MKII. It is more work of preparation. But after finding the first sweet spots and setting up performance controls I already had very satisfying moments of direct modulation and control which is only possible on such a machine. For a good live set I am glad of these possibilities and presets. On the Minibrute I can get stuck at certain sounds (which are great for some time). It gets difficult for me to start with something fresh then. That’s why I am looking forward to having presets in the A4 to quickly have new starting points available to tweak and modulate live.

2 Likes

I found the Sub37 annoying, and not very immediate. Also, it sounds super smooth but I find it a bit lacking somehow… Whereas my (much cheaper) Sub Phatty?! That thing is SUPER immediate, whilst also rewarding constant learning and exploration. And it does what I think these Moogs should do… Begs you to make things gnarly and lairy!!

I love my Moog Sub 37- it was my first real synth but it is too large to carry places and not as flexible for workflow as the Elektron A4. The Elektron does more and the bass is much improved. I will probably sell my Sub 37 to fund other gear perhaps the MK2 Rytm once the bugs are fixed.

+1 for Volcas. From experience, the Volca sample is brilliantly accessible. But I loved trading upto the Digitakt which is definitely easy to get into by Elektron standards. User friendly and killing, the perfect combo!! I can’t wait for Overbridge - building up loads of patterns in the meantime, I pick it up for 10mins and end up losing 90mins… :slight_smile:

+1 for Novation Peak too. I haven’t had much time to play with mine yet, but it sounds very high quality and is hugely easy and fun to tweak with the well laid out panel. Not sure on sweet spots yet, hoping they’re wide and plenty! And if only it had audio in to make use of those lovely fx…

-1 for Analog 4 / Keys. My AK still isn’t in danger of being sold any time soon, because it can do some things that are super valuable to me. But the sweet spots are definitely trickier to locate and nail than any other synth I have or have owned. And it took a looong time before I really got into it (even now I have to set aside proper time to really do any programming with it, as opposed to dipping in and out with fun and ease like I do with others)

1 Like

Ah man, I’ve wanted a 5089 for two years since I first heard it! For me it’s got a real ‘wow’ quality, and I love how dirty it is. I had a play with one, and it’s definitely hands on, but not ‘immediate’. You need to know what you’re doing with synthesis to get it sounding really fun.

You’re right, the A1 doesn’t excel at bass. It does higher frequencies beautifully though.

1 Like

I totally agree A1 has great lead sounds. I really dig the organ sounds too, osc config concept is brilliant, like function is super-handy, morphing, great fx, knob per function, 4 slots allow for splits and/or layering, ADR envelopes simplifies things so i can get right to playing.
To get back on topic it’s definitely an immediate synth :musical_keyboard:

A modular Synth is IMHO the contrary of an immediate Synth. Patching function Blocks First before tweaking knobs is not immediate at all.

You don’t have to patch it every time you twist a knob. You just need an intent before that.
It takes a little bit of discipline and planning but once you patch it to get the architecture you want, then you have immediate synth on your hands.

2 Likes

Yes but that pre planning is taking time and really that is not immediate at all.

Same for a synth like Minibrute. You need to tweak First to get a Patch.

If immediatecy is the main criteria i would highly recommend a synth with preset saving and many knobs. Sledge, NordLead 4, Novation Peak, OB6/Prophet 6 as polys, or for a Mono: Roland SH01a, System 1m, Arturia Matrixbrute, Moog SubPhatty, Sub37 to drop some examples. Please extend to your liking.

You want sh101 type of synth?
Patch osc, filter and adsr and you are done.

This is what i mean. You end up with playable setup and you stick to it for couple of days.
I’m not sure where this constant urge of switching patch cables comes from.
This is the beauty of modular for me… The ability to create your own architecture and exploring it until you find all the sweet spots.

2 Likes

First thing I always do when I touch my modular is removing all the cables :slight_smile: I like starting completely from scratch. But of course, no need to do so

2 Likes

You shouldn’t call modular synths “contrary to immediate”, if patching is not your cup of tea.

I think, it’s all about the purpose of using a synthesizer. Is the purpose to create one of the many classic standard timbres quickly, best recalled from memories, and used on stage or in the studio, or is it to understand and master synthesis in depth? I would compare both approaches to playing with toys out of the box or building toys with LEGO and playing with them after having finished them - or even after having changed them over and over again :wink:

If I was an instructor of electronic instruments, I would always start with a modular or a semi-modular instrument, because this offers for the students:

• easy and quick understanding and re-builting of basic concepts of synthesis like having VCO/VCF/VCA and some modulations
  • good understanding of the flow of audio and control signals and the interaction between the signals
  • understanding how to extend the basics with more oscillators, filters, circuits etc.
  • learning what “subtractive” synthesis is and … much more important IMO … that this is not the only synthesis in the universe
  • learning about the possibilities and beauty of audio-frequency modulation, which IMO takes at least one dedicated VCO for modulation and not a “fast” LFO only
  • and much more …

But as always … there is no right or wrong … it depends on personality and whether patching is experienced as having fun or just annoying :wink:

4 Likes

This thread has been educational to me in how varied people’s opinions of “immediate” can be. I think given enough posts we would have every synth mentioned at least once.

Not trying to say anyone is wrong, just that I have seen a few mentions of synths I would literally consider on the polar opposite end of the immediate spectrum.

I think it’s probably an observation on how immediacy is directly related to how a synth resonates with your workflow and approach to synthesis.

8 Likes