Immediate gear selling regret

Its a tough call. Traded my O-Coast for a Zoia, then traded the Zoia for a Lyra 8 (nice DIY). Dont really miss the zoia as it was kind of a PIA to have to set everything up and then get a midi controller so that I wasnt stuck using the one knob. I do however miss the 0-Coast from time to time. Fun little box that goes from 0 to 60 real quick. However I did end up with a Lyra which is such a monster of a machine. Also miss my DFAM. Traded that and M32 for a OTMK2. Same thing though, It doesnt necessarily feel like a regret as I did end up with an OT, and itā€™s way more versatile, but I just love the DFAM so much.

4 Likes

never had any regret, only my monitors and a mirrorless once, bought both again and would never sell

music gear to me is like a video game, i kindā€™ve clock them and move on. the exploration process is part of it. but iā€™ve never had a piece of music gear iā€™ve been compelled to never sell. i sold my first guitar when i was 10 to buy a super nintendo. so i dunno, buy and sell is something i guess iā€™ve done from an early age. its a way to do something else, to move forward in other ways

in that way, perhaps my buying habits always focus on premium, or highly sought after goods generally with a higher tag. you know from this that you can sell it, and will always get good coin from it. like macbooks, same deal.

slightly off topic, but Elektron prices have skyrocketed here in Australia since covid 19. The Australian dollar has tanked hard. Octatracks are nearly double the price. Itā€™s unbelievable. If anything I regret not still having my old Elektron stuff because it would just be so damn pricey to rebuy now. also a couple months ago i had a bunch of modular gear in some online carts, which i never pulled the trigger on. would be a grand or 2 more now just to buy the same stuff. bummer

4 Likes

Iā€™d gladly take that OT mk1 off your hands, where are you based?
Thanks

1 Like

Sold a Waldorf Streichfett a couple of years ago, still miss it. Obviously not that much though, otherwise Iā€™d have bought another one, wouldnā€™t I.

Not really regret selling something immediately. Allways thought about it. More regretting buying some units new and lose money by selling them.

But I learned from the proces. I only bought the Basstation 2 back after selling it. But also because I was searching for a simple midi controller and so I got a great synth and controller in one.

1 Like

OP-1. I have this creeping regret of selling it, not so much because I miss using it rather as an object to own and have and look at.

4 Likes

No actual regrets because selling was the correct decision at the time. But letting go still kinda stung a lot for the op1, virus ti module and minitaur- i still miss those 3

TL;DR:
thatā€™s why iā€™m always shelving gear instead of selling.

3 Likes

Who hasnā€™t had regrets from selling gear?! Itā€™s actually a breath of fresh air when I sell something and donā€™t feel a twang of remorse!

Biggest selling regrets probably go to several Octatracks, A4ā€™s, AKā€™s and a couple of OP-1s. But, the final sale of all felt like the right decision. I guess I came to my senses in the end. Other than the OTMk2 - that was to pay bills.

I kind of regret selling the OPZ but I think Iā€™d regret buying it again haha. And I do miss the DT I had some time back. A lovely little sampler.

I used to always regret selling my FS1R years back. Had it from new but sold it to fund baby stuff back in the day. I went back to it a couple of years ago and realised I wasnā€™t missing anywhere near as much as I thought.

Perhaps my biggest selling regret was my first ARMk1. My gran had died earlier that year and left me some money in her will which I used to purchase it. Never got on with it and some time later I sold it. Always felt very guilty about that one as if I was shitting over my Grans grave or something so repurchased an AR and realised why I sold it and felt much better about letting it go!

My big regret at the moment is from a purchase actually. Not playing with my DK anywhere near as much as I thought I would. In no rush to make a call on it - now isnā€™t a great time for selling in any case - but I can see myself parting ways with it despite being a fan of the form factor and sound. I think the ā€œElektron Wayā€ can be a blessing and a curse depending on what sort of mood/phase youā€™re in.

4 Likes

Totally understandable. Bought my montage with $$ from my dad. Go through periods of wanting to just get rid of it and clear the slate but he was the one who got me into music in the beginning and selling just feels wrong.

1 Like

I can confirm this a hundred percent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine was black and the body coating was actually a kind of Tolex!

1 Like

The MD, thankfully I was able to get it back for a reasonable price. Love it.

15 Likes

Not buying regret

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great topic. Most of the time I dont regret selling anything because most of the time I end up being able to re-buy what I missed for a couple bucks cheaper if I really need it.

Tempest comes to mind, great machine but I had very little sound design and experience with synthesis when I had it. Couldnt justify its price with what I could do with it.

Owned and sold 3 sp404 A or SX, easy to pick back up for a project, resell value is rock solid, you cant go wrong if you have the itch to try it, heck you can do lofi stuff in minutes only by resampling with fx and playing loops / finger drum with itā€¦

MPC 1000 with JJOS, great machine, very limited in knowledge and time when I had it, not sad it left as I ended up making too predictable sample based hip hop.

Organelle. Great sound generation/mangling tool or effect box, ended up sampling the heck out of it and let it go.
Same with all Critter Guitari I owned, Pocket Piano, Bolsa Bass, Septavoxā€¦great little instruments though, unique inspiring sounds.
Same with 0-coast, beautiful sounds sometimes, not much use for its sonic palette in my tracks though.

What I ultimately miss is the OT MK2, got it too early in my Elektron workflow/knowledge.
Ended up using it mostly as a mixer.
Now fast forward two years ahead, I regret it as I know my way around the Elektron workflow much better and it is much less intimidating to aprehend an OT.

Wont get another one though, unless a drastic update comes by with more ā€˜up-to-date-its2020ā€™ effects and a revised workflow. Prob wont come at all, not so sad its gone then.

I tend no to get too attached with gear as there is always something great and inspiring around the corner or even waiting for you in your own studio :wink: :black_heart:

2 Likes

Apart from OLED display and color - how do they differ in practice, if I may ask?

1 Like

I sold a virus b and a korg ms2000r back in the 90s. I had no clue how to use them but knew and had heard what they were capable of. I hated selling them and today still wouldnā€™t mind having them here.

From now on I just wont sell anything. Better to get a bigger room or build a house :yum:

1 Like

I miss my BugBrand modular setup every day. All the eurorack stuff I replaced it with is already gone with no regrets, but those red and blue panels haunt me.

3 Likes

Also regret selling my MPC 1K with all the upgrades and JJOS2XL. I would still like one, but the prices are steep and Iā€™m waiting on a Cirklon. Might pick one up if I find it for a good price. MPC 3K is the dream though.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen any videos of this for sample-based hip hop stuff. Itā€™s good?