Imaginary things

Thanks to those that have shared. I have loved reading this thread.

1 Like

Reading your replays make me remember one of my childhoodā€™s imaginations. I loved to imagine the huge spaces in the deep of the oceans, vast, silent and dark, with giant whales, silently and slowly swimming in that dark immensity. I liked also to know that what I was imaging was actually real and was truly happening. The overall feeling was calm and pleasant, specially because all of that was far far away from the human being existence. It was beautiful, but a little misantropic also.

5 Likes

Me too, Iā€™d lean on my arms until they appeared

Also, one time it rained for 3 days straight, I grew up in Ghana so the tropical showers are pretty intense.

I was 100% sure it would never stop raining and Noahā€™s ark was unfolding right under our noses and no one seemed to care.

3 Likes

Your opening post is great and the topic is wide open which I like - I was immediately surprised reading about @Fin25 's dream. Iā€™ve never met anyone who had this before hence my reply.
On a more awake imaginary plain - I too read Dune as a kid and it blew my mind. I didnā€™t fully understand it and have read the entire series of books a few times since. The first 3 are especially good and I specifically remember my brain on fire when reading about the first time Paul is tasked to call a worm and ride across the desert on itā€™s backā€¦ I can barely wait to see the film this week!
In my day to day life I imagine all sorts of things and am constantly trying to make new things. Iā€™ve been making drawings which are silhouettes of river deltaā€™s or bodies of water on our planet. I use google maps and choose what to reinterpret and keep a note of the coordinates. Even though the source is clear to me I also like to imagine that they are alien creatures or remnants/fossils of long lost civilisationsā€¦ Or maybe just creepy shadowsā€¦

On a side note I also use my drawings as inspiration for music I make so the circle is kinda complete :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have difficulty getting inspiration for music from my drawings. But it definitely works the other way around:

10 Likes

As for Dune, I am reservedly optimistic. I loved Sicario, but the new Blade Runner was a shrug for me.

The book, on the other hand, will always be with me. I never get tired of reading it or thinking about it.

3 Likes

I remember also having few nightmares around age of 6. Basically a large sphere or ball of energy growing bigger and bigger, the size of it scared me to shit. It didnā€™t stop growing, like you are attached to a chain reaction. I still remember me waking up shivering and sweating and telling it to my parents. They were still downstairs watching television, so it happened quite early after falling asleep.

Some forces in this universe are just incomprehensible.

7 Likes

More of the incomprehensible vastnessā€¦

Curious stuff indeed!

Edit: Curiosity prompted a little search.
The closest I got was another discussion: Geometric Night Terrors

Something about ā€œplatonic solidsā€ gained a bit of traction.

And this evocation touched on another aspect I seem to recall:
There is a feeling of awful SLOWNESS , which is just horrifing

5 Likes

Yep.

That pretty neatly describes what I used to see.

I was around the same age when I started having a reoccurring dream about a large ball rolling around a derelict office block trying to find me.

Those dreams were silent but there was always an acrid smell.

2 Likes

Not sure if imaginary, but with all this talk of spheresā€¦
When I was around 10 I was on the playground and a ball of light about the size of a basketball came down and did a loop around me and my friend. We both saw it, acknowledged it was weird, but then just went back to playing and never talked about it again. Never saw it again either.
Around the same time Iā€™d also see shadows dashing behind the furniture all the time.
Coincidentally (?) we had just recently gotten cable and Paula Abdul was all over MTV.

6 Likes

DUDE. I remember being a kid playing in the yard, maybe catching grasshoppers and there was a basketball sized ball of light that slowly passed by and dissipated as it got near the tree line.

The only thing I could ever reason it could have been was later on reading about ā€œball lightningā€ which Iā€™m still not convinced is real.

Iā€™ll add I feel somewhat the same about Paula Abdul.

3 Likes

Yes, totally! I looked into ball lightning at one point too and it didnā€™t seem similar enough (or even real, like you said).
This was more like the sun swooped down and hung out for a minute, but didnā€™t get any bigger or brighter along the way.

1 Like

This ties in perfectly to a recurring fever dream i used to have as a child.
Im standing on a plane but the ground / plane surface is moving under my feet as though i am standing on the outer edge of a record that is playing on a turntable.
out in the very distance if my vision i can see a tiny bump which slowly gets larger and larger and larger but the speed at which it approaches has no relationship to the speed at which the plane under my feet spins.
the spinning does not increase its advance
it lurks out there on the edge, getting giant and horrible all on its own
the ground moves under my feet and i can hear the sound of this thing approaching and its kind of humming some sort of energy song that i can not comprehend.
as it gets closer and closer to me i realize that its size is absolutely immense and that what was once a speck on a warped horizon is actually giant and dwarfs me in size and is now rapidly approaching me where it once was hanging back on the edge of the plane.
as it got closer and closer the feeling of panic would increase.
as it took shape it was like a giant cut out of massive granite blocks, its edges fuzzy from fever,
but terrifying nonetheless.
space, manā€¦
when shit doesnt fit right and you know itā€¦ its frightening.
EDIT
As it passed me it would be making noises and was like watching something made of stone and yet livingā€¦ then it would reappear as a blip on my horizon and the dream would repeatā€¦
it was pretty awful/mesmerizing

4 Likes

Iā€™ve also had recurring dreams similar to this. In one part I would be driving alone to some unknown destination on a highway which seemed unreasonably dangerous. I would arrive, exit the vehicle and discover a strange and spectacular view. It was very much a mesmerizing yet somehow horrifying patterned rocky looking wall against perhaps a blue sky. As soon as I would arrive there and exit the vehicle to take it in; I would suddenly become stuck viewing it (which included myself) from outside of my own body. I was viewing it from an impossibly far off distance too, with a kind of skewed perspective. The wall was like a very intricate living map and it was filled with many shades of fiery red. amazing, but filled with a terrible sense of dread too.

Edit: I just noticed what you wrote about the awful slowness which feels horrifying as well. That more than adequately describes the sense of terror to me. Suddenly stuck outside of my own body, viewing myself from extremely far away, as a miniscule detail in a colossal shifting pattern on a rocky and fiery living map-like wall. Vehicle parked, time suspended until I wake up.

6 Likes

i love dreams.
i love scary dreams.
i love that vistas can induce terror in dreamsā€¦

7 Likes

These recurring themes are really interesting.

I have a sort of pet theory, but it might well be something of a projection based on what it is that my attention is drawn to these days.

In the Tibetan Book of the Dead, there is a description of the ā€˜in between stateā€™ (typically life and death, but waking life can also be seen to be full of such moments) in which conditioned consciousness is presented with the vast, clear light of infinite, unbounded conscious awareness.

The conditioned conscious movement ā€œinterpretsā€ this as threatening and instead, (through inertia), moves towards the dull light of familiarity and rebirth in the realm of form. (Apologies to Tibetan Buddhist scholars for any crude butchery here.)

Or as I previously suggested, we can look at the identification with ā€œthe knownā€ that constitutes the dominant part of our waking life, once we move through childhood and our material existence becomes apparently comfortable in its predictable, concrete nature (as opposed to the unbounded openness of a newborn, which doesnā€™t distinguish between themselves and the rest of the outside world).
Perhaps, somehow, these dreams occurring in childhood heralds something of a transition from the unbound to the bound, and their threatening nature marks the setting in of our identification as a separate entity, after which the majority of folk continue to opt for the limited realm of the known until death do they partā€¦

maybe :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

It feels like the imaginary/dream world is driven to the fringe by business concerns.

How many people would have identified themselves as ā€œartistsā€ when they were 5 years old as compared to now? Art often requires that a person keeps closer ties to imaginary things in order to continue to create more art.

7 Likes

indeed.
the imagination as an adult indeed often feels limited somehow, itā€™s hard to break free from it,
when i think of it now i feel thankful i still have those strange dreamsā€¦

7 Likes

Yesā€¦

And on the other hand, we can ask ourselves the question, ā€œwhat is it that notices the apparent experience of feeling / being limited?ā€

Could it be that the answer to this question betrays an unlimited perspective that is always available, but nearly always overlooked?

Just lobbing that one out there :partying_face:

4 Likes