I'm in a MIDI Pickle

I’m struggling to figure out to set this up and am hoping someone might have a tip. I can’t figure out a way to send the Lauchpad Pro MIDI “through” the Octatrack to the other Devices (mainly RYTM, Analog 4, Moog Minitaur, Microgranny) while also sending Clock (notes and CCs too) from Octatrack.

Setup:
Launchpad PRO (standalone mode) >OUT
IN> MIO2 MIDI Router box (2 in, 2 out)>OUT1
IN> Octatrack

MIO2 >OUT2 (Launchpad Pro MIDI Out going to two standalone synths that only need notes, no Clock or CCs)

Octatrack >OUT
IN> Erica Synths MIDI Thru Box (sending Clock/CC/Notes to 8 different devices)

My only ideas are to somehow get MIDI IN on the Octatrack to echo on MIDI OUT, or get Octatrack Clock to send on MIDI THRU. Both of these options seem impossible but maybe I’m missing something…?

Things I need: I don’t want to mess with Octatracks direct connection to the Erica Synth Midi Thru box so as not to create any latency.

Things I don’t need: The Launchpad Pro doesn’t need to control the Octatrack at all for now, it really just needs to control the 4 other synths mentioned earlier as well as the two standalone synths (this part is working fine in current setup).

Any ideas?

You should be able to send the OT clock & launhpad notes & CCs, if the launchpad can receive & send clock at the same time (OT out to LP in). Notes & CCs from two different sequencers simultaneously to the same device is going to be an issue. There may be the rare device with more than one midi in, but very atypical. You’re gonna need a midi merger. They tend to require some luck and typically fail for some particular setups.

1 Like

I think what I need is just impossible. I don’t want to put anything between the OT out and the MIDI Thru box so without the ability of OT to send clock on MIDI thru or to Echo MIDI in data to the MIDI out.
God I wish they put a second MIDI output on the OT like they did the AKAI MPC Live.
Looks like I might need one of those now

Use a midi merge box to merge both thru and out of the octatrack into one stream: that way you’ll exactly achieve what you asked for, namely to echo the input on the output.

If you use this method just be aware that you don’t merge two clock signals, for that makes everythinh further up your chain run in double time…

2 Likes

Yes indeed, a midi merge will facilitate this. The good news is that they can be had for pretty cheap.

If I understand the OP correctly, it sounds to me like you’d merge the midi out from the OT with the midi out of the Launchpad. Some merge boxes allow you to select input A or B or you can combine both as needed. You may need to get a 2 in 2 out merge box and combine that with a thru box, depending on what you go with.

Regardless, a thru box is highly recommended as a fantastic way to eliminate drift/clock slop if you have several boxes all slaved off a single master.

If you buy a midi merger here’s one tip:

All midi mergers need power, because they use a chip. Some have their own power supply with a battery while others use “fantom power”: they use one pin on which some midi outputs carry +5Volts. Unfortunately most modern devices dont put out the voltage on that pin.

Save yourself some puzzling and buy one with its own power supply!

2 Likes

If you don’t want to use the re-routing capabilities of the OT, which is routing an incoming midi channel to the active midi track of the OT, then you shouldn’t connect your Launchpad to the OT at all. Instead you can use a midi-merger. This will combine the 8 midi channels of the OT midi tracks with the midi channel of your Launchpad.

Maybe your MIO 2 can do the job also, if configured accordingly?

2 Likes

It can apparently.

Configuration software (download for Mac/PC) makes it simple to create and save routing, merging, and filtering presets.

3 Likes

Wait, if I use MIDI track on the OT it will pass the MIDI from the Launchpad into OT and then to the synths down the line?
That’s exactly what I need! Oh man, gonna test that now. Thanks!!

Just so we’re clear, you’re likely to be disappointed if you do this expecting to be able to address 3 or 4 devices down the line. The midi thru traffic that many devices deep tends to be glitchy and or sloppy.

Hmm, I wasn’t able to get it working. Ill have to test more later.
I’m using a midi thru box to split midi coming directly from OT so shouldn’t be an issue hopefully.

Ah ha! The auto channel seems to be the missing link

2 Likes

Exactly this. But I understood your post that you did not want to do this. If you want to use the OT as a flexible midi-in to 8 instruments midi-out router, then the OT is perfect. I use it this way all the time.

Yes … and consider the other midi-channels, which the OT is listening to. Since the OT can be remote controlled via midi, there are 8 midi-channels the OT is listening to and which are used to control the audio tracks. There are settings, which can change the default midi-channel use and allocation, if this is needed.

Thank you! I don’t intend to use MIDI to control the OT itself as I want to master control of OT via the unit itself. I’m more often than not going to have OT by itself.
For some reason i never thought about using tge MIDI tracks like you suggested :man_facepalming:, thanks again.

1 Like

Just got home and tested it all out. Flipping magic!!! By using Auto channels on the whole trinity I’m in control heaven.
Hot damn the OT just keeps blowing my mind with how well thought out and capable it is. I’ve hit over 6 “walls” that made think the OT wasn’t capable and everytime there was a reasonable work around or it already could do it but I just didn’t know how yet.
Thanks again fellow ‘nauts, much appreciated. :pray:

2 Likes

if you’ve only hit six walls with the OT, you’re doing a lot better than me :rofl:

1 Like

Great to hear this … now have fun and many creative hours or even better … years :smiley:

2 Likes