I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

The Dead Sea scrolls, you pull down, they scroll down. You push up, they scroll up. (Little known fact: the Dead Sea scrolls were spring-mounted.)

4 Likes

The real question is will it run Opcode’s StudioVision?

2 Likes

What really is “natural”? Everything originally emanates from nature - by this definition, is not everything “natural”?

didn’t you have zoom h6? if you do then you can use it as audio interface, works great

btw, since you got the suite, there’s loads of drum packs, sound packs and max devices available for free, you can either download them from the ableton site or from live directly, it will be available under one of the menus on the left.

there’s also infinite number of m4l devices on https://maxforlive.com/
midi effects, audio effects, synths… but beware, it’s a serious rabbit hole!

Anyone who has the need to suggest how another person should scroll needs a head-check

Live is about as DAWless a DAW you can get.

So if you buy the laptop, might as well go Live

If you don’t tolerate computers in general, and aren’t willing to expand your horizons in that space, then why bother?

e.g.
“I vastly prefer to blow into a reed to create sound, convince me to not buy a piano?”

it’s just a habbit for most people coming from windows/linux, takes couple of days to get used to but most folks prefer just to have it as reversed just as they are used to.
the overall switching from windows/linux to mac is strange enough with getting used to the different keyboard combos and trackpad gestures, so scrolling on top of that could be a bit too much and people revert to what they are used to.
it’s pure habbit, does not make it any better or worse…

1 Like

Invert Y Axis? Yes!

I’ve been a Windows user since the 90s but 10 years ago I switched to Mac for photo editing and music production. Never looked back. With Windows I had to do a new install once a year to keep things smooth. With Mac I only get a fresh install when I buy a new desktop or laptop. Never had to reinstall it except when reselling.

2 Likes

not sure if that’s applicable to you but if you setup time machine you don’t even have to fresh install, you just restore everything with the time machine onto a new mac, really simple and also really good to have everything backed up properly.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve done that before. But a new hardware is a chance to remove some of the clutter of previous (long) years of software installs, trials, tests, etc. Also I keep all documents in separate disks from boot so it’s really fast to go back running. I need to keep some of the old Windows full reinstall adrenaline even if it’s now every 5 years instead of yearly. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Time machine is mind blowing, the best thing about Macs especially if using it to work on.

1 Like

It sure is. Great for system failure or document recovery. I still have an old AirPort Time Capsule. Switch, Access Point and Storage all in one. Too bad Apple discontinued it, it was a great product and still there’s no direct replacement for it. But nowadays you get nice NAS from other brands like Qnap or Synology. Been using a 9 bay Qnap with 10Gbe for Time Machine and real time video editing and it’s great.

3 Likes

I also have it setup in a NAS but the truth is it does not have to be that complicated, if you don’t need to have RAID then everyone has a router and modern routers can see storage devices, you can get a simple backup setup by using a usb drive as a network storage and have time machine run once a day backing up when you’re not using the computer, really easy for people that don’t need to backup terabytes of 4k videos or whatever large, a simple WD external drive hooked up to the router will probably do.

anyway, I promised I’ll be quiet and not be too geeky and I’m breaking my promise here…

Fin25 making MacBook jokes already. He is one of us now.

2 Likes

@Fin25 how is the screen size? My eyes aren’t what they used to be… is it manageable with ableton?

After years of squinting at little screen on synths and that, it feels plenty big and easy enough to read.

Though I do think having access to a nice big monitor when I’m in the studio will be a better experience.

4 Likes

it really does.

1 Like

I think ableton has a rescale option to make everything bigger though I’ve never used it

2 Likes

not to derail but hadn’t heard of Encoder Audio though, these devices look great! cheers for the recommendation. I keep nearly starting a thread that’s just ‘Intriguing Max Devices’.

1 Like