I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

Suffer.

2 Likes

I’ll get you.

You just wait.

When you least expect it…

1 Like

Looking forward to your first dis track written on your new Mac.

If this computer crashes once, just once I’m going to track all of you down and embarrass you at your places of work, in front of all your work friends.

12 Likes

Logic has great sounding plugins (e.g. Neve & Pultec EQs) and a few lovely details like Flex Pitch and Drummer. But Ableton is so much quicker to work with. I recommend having both.

For the record : I never told you to get a Mac.

2 Likes

… so I get a break from doing that myself on a daily basis. You do have a kind and gentle nature.

Edit - getting yourself a Magic Mouse?

Well not quite that bad but I get where you’re coming from :joy: .

The upgrades are to keep up with all of the software updates over the years. Still loads cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

1 Like

What is a “work friend”?

3 Likes

What’s a friend?

4 Likes

Is this about sneaking off from the family because your gear is tethered to a studio, when the computer can roam free? If so, I can definitely relate. And this is why I really love all-in-one grooveboxes that I can take with me and use in standalone. This is what led me to use the MPC almost exclusively to make music for over a year, and now I tend to make music on the laptop and on the Syntakt in standalone. Any hardware that requires me to plug it into other hardware or the computer pretty much just sits on a shelf nowadays - while the Syntakt and the MC-101 follow me around the house so I can make music without sneaking away.

I think you’ll be happy making music on the computer, but if you’re like me, you’ll still want a multitimbral synth to noodle with. :blush:

1 Like

We should start badgering him to get an MPC…

4 Likes

Save that for his “thinking of going OTB” post

12 Likes

This thread has over 400 posts…

What would happen if you decided to switch to banjo exclusively?

6 Likes

Add a Push to the mix and you’re fine.

3 Likes

I did a recommended update on my 4 year old Windows laptop … got the Blue Screen that requires a Bit Locker 48 digit code to unlock … spent the last 4 hours searching … I have nothing on record. My Microsoft account doesn’t have the code. There is no way to bypass it.

The laptop is bricked. Dead. Just because of an automatic update that I had been ignoring and accidentally clicked “yes” the last time the notification came up.

I will NEVER get a Windows PC again. Ridiculous

1 Like

As a stranger who only has observed some of your comment history, I have a feeling ITB is going to make you crazy. Mouse clicks, all menu-diving, no haptic feedback…

Your “bangers in 10”, Polivoks distortion feedback loops you dial in with feel and in 10 seconds of firing up, rapid fire sound design…ain’t gonna happen.

All that said, if you do take some time to template things out, you can set up starting frameworks that could get you close to that, and perhaps build up libraries of frameworks over time. But it will for sure take time and patience…and, well, that is not your reputation.

For god’s sake, get yourself a big and quickly assignable MIDI controller soon.

4 Likes

I just watched a 30 minute beginner tutorial on Live 11 and think I might give it another chance. My bias right now might be mostly based “go with what you know” and I don’t think I’ve tried Live since something like version 7 or maybe 8. I just checked Ableton’s site and discovered I am a registered user and have the basic version I can download for free (must have registered it when I bought some gear that came with it).

For me a mac is ideal for an elderly person, only.
Otherwise take a real computer with Lx or Win 10.
What I read here about pc instability or glitches sounds like a distant past or a concern with what’s sitting right in front (with sweater and shoes on).
The mac is ridiculously expensive and the day you ask yourself real serious questions about it, the people who advised you have NO ANSWERS. The after sales service is pathetic and dishonest.
The only interest of the mac currently is passive cooling on laptops but at the cost of an odious interface, a restricted system with limited access and which will increasingly target what will be authorized to run on it.

3 Likes

This is simply untrue at this point. Up above, I posted a link to a brand new M1 MacBook Air for $799 that will get you all you need to run just about any audio setup you’ll want to try. Macs may be more expensive than a PC if you look at only specs, but “ridiculously” expensive is a gross exaggeration these days.

10 Likes