I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread, but can M1 or M2 macbook users comment whether the machines stay silent under load, eg when running ableton?

I run ableton off a Razer Blade and performance is good but it’s always whirring away, making me want to use headphones to drown out the noise.

My M1 MBP is completely silent. Havent ever heard even slight fan noise and ive had it a year. Pro Tools all day every day, Ableton, Max etc. Nothing

3 Likes

Check specific models, but my recollection is that the Macbook Airs are fanless and thus throttle the CPU/GPU when they get hot. The MBPs have fans, but are pretty quiet and probably also throttle down.

I had a M1 MBP for a few months and was able to max the fan out with Figma. It was still quiet enough to not interfere with Zoom calls.

My current M1Max Mac Studio is very very quiet, and I haven’t come close to making it sweat yet. I haven’t needed to open a large Figma project since buying it, but I’ve got the Arturia V Collection, Pigments and soon Roland Cloud so should be able to build some monster Ableton projects to see what happens.

3 Likes

Also down the road or whenever you can get Logic for like $200. Compare and contrast to Ableton and see which you prefer. Logic has amazing plugins and synths imo. The price is obscene.

1 Like

Obscenely cheap. USD$200 for everything, for life (not entirely true - they unbundled and then abandoned Sountrack Pro and Compressor is also unbundled now and $50 or so extra)

1 Like

Reminder.

2 Likes

I promise you the mac trackpad will win you over in time. Learn the gestures, try checking/unchecking “natural scroll”… it’s the best trackpad available.

What did you pay for it?

You can hack a Mac

The cool thing I find with Macs is…stuff just werks. Simple.

1 Like

I would imagine Apple silicon makes it a smidge difficult to run the latest macOS on a hackintosh, tho.

Yeah probably, but then again they still fully support Intel Mac’s so until it’s all M-series it will work like before

1 Like

I did manage to get it to almost crash fucking around with an old audio interface and a dodgy usb c adaptor.

But yeah, everything does just kinda work.

Also, the laptop itself is blazing fast. It installed Ableton Suite in about a minute.

£700 second hand. It’s in mint condition.

7 Likes

Now go and recommend Macs to everyone you know :wink:

4 Likes

What is with everyone suggesting unchecking natural scroll? Why do you prefer unnatural scroll?

natural is a relative term

2 Likes

Unnatural is the new natural?

I prefer sharps and flats

3 Likes

The default scrolling direction is backwards. Or upside down, or whatever.

The screen doesn’t go in the correct direction. If I uncheck it, then it does.

3 Likes

You clearly have no experience with actual scrolls.

2 Likes

Hear Ye, hear Ye! Thou whilst teacheth thine vast knowledge to whit ease mine err. Sage prophet bringeth forth due light, nigh shimmer vast eternal.

3 Likes