I'm building the ultimate portable music box

Just recorded this dnb track on it:

17 Likes

The box is dope and this song is dope. What’s playing what in the track?

Thanks! In that track, all the synths (mid bass, sub bass and lead plonk sound) are the Virus, the kick and snare drums are in Bitwig, but they’re sequenced by the OT, and all the percussion and some other bits and pieces are the OT. I have Bitwig actually responding to the scene change and crossfader so I have 16 bitwig ‘scenes’ to modulate parameters with the crossfader on the OT, and I’m doing some slightly mad stuff with sidechains on the virus channel to help the kick and snare cut through.

2 Likes

Great work on the box/setup, and lovely track!

Been following the development of this
for the past few months, great to see
it all finished and in action.
Cheers for this journey

1 Like

Thanks very much! I can’t quite believe it’s done lol.

1 Like

How did you get the crossfader to control Bitwig? I thought it couldn’t send out MIDI.

So the crossfader can’t affect midi CCs inside the Octatrack, but the OT does actually send crossfader movements and scene changes via its midi output. I wrote a controller script for bitwig that listens to the Octatrack midi messages, and assigns the crossfader movement to a different user control based on which scene is selected, meaning I basically do have midi scenes now. I’ll share the script soon.

5 Likes

Damn. That’s dope. FLStudio just integrated MIDI scripts. Wonder if it allows for similar functionality.

Oh nice! It’s actually a very simple script so I bet it’s doable.

After many months of graft building this thing, it’s finally done, and I can finally show you all how it works!

For those of you who aren’t familiar with this thing. I made a build thread here: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/im-building-the-ultimate-portable-music-box

29 Likes

Like like like

1 Like

+1 +1 +1

If/when you redo those seals, Sugru might do the trick.

1 Like

:metal: :metal: :metal:

I’ve used that stuff before actually! It’s amazing. I wonder how well it’d stick to neoprene. That’s a really good shout.

Bah. Looking at the tech specs, it’s not the strongest bond with neoprene. I love that stuff, but you might be better off looking into wetsuit repairs and outdoor clothing seals. This can be a useful link, for making rugged stuff.

Nice beep at the end of the vid, btw.

Thanks mate! That’s handy. Yeah I was looking at some wetsuit adhesives. I think that’s a good way to go - I initially attached it with contact adhesive but it just didn’t take very well. The clamping force of the lid holds it together but I’ll need to do something better with it soon.

Brilliant work!

1 Like

Thanks mate!! :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, I am really amazed with the overall result! Very inspiring! Do you think that it would manage Overbridge for Digitakt and Digitone for more real time multichannel processing capabilities? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks man! Yes I think it would definitely handle overbridge! Most of the time I’m below 50% CPU load. Also the great advantage to using the Intel NUC is that I can swap it out for a later model if I want, upgrade ram and storage etc, so it should be very upgradeable.

2 Likes

Great, thanks a lot! Definitively something to think about and test! :slight_smile:

1 Like