I'm building the ultimate portable music box

This is epic.
Next level customization. Very inspiring :slight_smile:
Did you code the Javascript tool yourself?

Very curious to see the process. Cheers

1 Like

Thanks! I was tempted by the MPC Live for ages, bit I love the Octatrack workflow and immediacy too much to let it go. I think adding bitwig into the mix will be a huge improvement though, and the MPC definitely doesn’t have a Virus built in! :joy:

It really does. I played around with it some more last night and there’s a bit of set up involved, but I think I should be able to have fully featured midi scenes for any virtual devices running in bitwig, including those that are processing the incoming audio from the virus!

2 Likes

Cheers mate! Yeah, my day job is related to web development among other things, so I know my way around js. Realistically, this will probably be something I work on after the box has been completed, but I have started it already and will be open sourcing it as soon as it starts taking shape. I’m using the web midi API to listen for midi messages, record them, and then play them back, sending some extra ones in between to do various things. Basically you should be able to load up the app, choose some configuration options, then play something on the Octatrack. The app will then pay back your midi performance to the Octatrack, soloing one track at a time, until you have a full set of wav stems.

5 Likes

Fantastic Idea!

1 Like

Got the box back from the laser cutters today. It’s a beaut!

13 Likes

Awwww man. That’s a gorgeous instrument you’re building there…

1 Like

I mean I kinda know already but…

a60a7d8f56d73c4583ab2045e61e149b7bfd96d8f44e808e02341627f315a1bb

6 Likes

Good thing, but your audience only can see: somebody is doing something in a box.
I would do it more open that people can watch you.

1 Like

I will be able to unhook the gas struts meaning the lid can fold back 180deg. Other than that it’s closed so I can carry it around in the rain!

2 Likes

Ah, ok, didn´t see that on the picture.
But: It´s hard to see the nice coloured buttons of the OT.
I try to build a box with many coloured blinking lights, I like that.

Update: the panel assembly is taking shape!! I cut up the virus chassis, and mounted the screen and the computer. Yes, that board behind the screen is a pc with a quad core i5, 12gb ram and an SSD. I’m getting there!

18 Likes

it lives!

35 Likes

Wow!!! Nice project!!

2 Likes

thanks! :grinning:

:+1:t6::+1:t6::+1:t6:

1 Like

You’re mad, I love it.

Space for 6hp of euro next to the OT?

1 Like

Oh mate I am absolutely considering it!! Another option was building a little 303 clone in there or something. Unfortnately, I may need that space for general I/O, since I want to create this front facing panel with power switches, battery level readout, inputs and outputs for the OT, Virus and PC (USB, HDMI etc). Hopefully I can cram all that other stuff in elsewhere though!

2 Likes

Big update! I’ve basically finished the overall construction of the box. All that’s left to do is wiring up all the electronics and soldering the I/O panel, and of course finishing the wood.

25 Likes

I’m finishing the fucking thing! Nearly there. Aiming for power on next week, if all goes well. Got a name for it and some artwork on the box. Main panel with the virus, screen and computer is all finished. Just wiring and fittings to do.

30 Likes

Beautiful. Love the octopiguy :heart_eyes:

1 Like