IK Multimedia UNO Drum

3 Likes

This “thing” grabbed my attention…I’m not sure if I can import a few samples in though…

That’s the 1st thing I thought of too.

Demo sounded fine.

1 Like

it’s kinda nice … a few AA batteries and you’re jamming on the park

I cannot wait for the uno drum. Seriously excited! Couple questions- hoping someone from IK sees this.

Is there a solo button or just mute? Can you unmute several tracks at once?

Are there choke groups like for the hi-hats?

Are there individual pattern lengths? Can the overall pattern length be less than 64?

Finally can humanize be applied to individual instruments or just the overall groove?

Thanks, cannot wait to pick this up regardless!!

1 Like

Looks pretty interesting, might grab one of these.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unodrum/index.php?p=media

2 Likes

Paired up with Volca Drum you’d be pretty set for most electronic music drum needs, to me these are far more interesting than dull clones and they can still easily cover that territory if wanted.

I’d like IK to do a Uno format mixer next, 8 stereo inputs, fx, battery powered, sign me up.

4 Likes

Final hearing some nice sounds from this with haQ attaQ. You can skip in 1:10, to avoid intro, and then there’s only 5 minutes left.

Stray thought – i see the Uno Drum get paired with the Uno Synth – obviously the maker gets a two-fer promoting both together. But i also see an aesthetic with the Modal Craftsynth V2 and Skulpt. Bang for buck with all four.

2 Likes

Love the haQ attaQ! Interested in this machine. But it does lead me to fantasise about a sampler from IK. Maybe next time?

1 Like

Got mine today! Super fun, I really like it. My main criticism for now would be that the buttons don’t seem to trigger super consistently. I’ll hit it and sometimes it won’t register or react. It’s imprecise and a little bothersome but maybe something they can address in a firmware update?

I recommend it!

1 Like

Hey ddiamond, can you give us your feeling about Uno drum, now you have surely a solid opinion about it.
Are there other Elektronauts that own and use it ?

1 Like

Check out the Stimming review on YouTube.
“The machine isnt useable and I wouldnt buy it”

5 Likes

I really like it! I have a tr-8s, machine drum, Drumbrute impact DFAM tt-606 and I’ve had rytm 2 and a bunch of others. It’s great!

It’s not perfect, but it’s really fun to play and get something going quickly, the fills and rolls are really fun, and I haven’t had any real noise issues. And so portable! I recommend it!

Thanks for the reply.
I find it a bit like korg volca drum, I was wondering wich of them is more tweakable and offering variable sound.
Cheers

I think this is one of the most underrated pieces of gear out there. I absolutely love mine.

I really like how the samples sound on this. They’re actually 12-bit, and changing the pitch or decay adds interesting noisy artifacts. I’m totally digging the kit with 808/909/606 samples. With a bit of compression and drive, it sounds like old school house/techno.

I also own a TR8S, but I love the UNO Drum for its punchy lo-fi qualities.

6 Likes

Agreed

At the price, it’s extremely cool, plus that unbeatable portability. I could live with the “bad” noise Stimming points out because who cares for this device, but the non-responsive pads would also upset me. I wonder if it’s simply a conductivity issue between skin and capacitive pads? I’ve got a bottle of skin moisturizer, for example, next to my Lyra-8, but even that’s rather annoying, and the Lyra-8 doesn’t rely on being tapped in rhythm.

It wasn’t a skin issue. I owned two of them and both had the same issue with the same pad (cowbell?). Maybe later runs fixed this.

The device was still enjoyable with the noise but it was just enough that it made the device not worthwhile for me. Its a shame, if they made a pro model with slightly upgraded hardware I’d probably buy one.

p.s. The IK PR guy stalking the gearslutz thread pissed me off, telling people the issue they have aren’t real. It wasn’t just that the pads were broken, but that the company actively swept it under the rug.

1 Like

Musicians Friend still has these for $169 USD.

Almost pulled the trigger and then I saw the mono output which might be a deal breaker for me. The drive+comp might be enough to make me okay with the mono output. I think it sounds better than the Brutes and the Volcas.

Also considering a TR-6S. In the meantime I’ll stick with Model Samples+MicroLimiter and I won’t be mad if someone were to make a small sample pack of the analog voices. :wink:

What I really want is a little from each of these - a portable battery powered drum machine with stereo input+output, user sample playback, and a built in compressor+fx.

1 Like

Hey all. I was considering picking up an Uno Drum to pair with my newly-arrived Dreadbox Typhon (which I absolutely adore, by the way). It has a mix input so I can jam with these 2 boxes with just a USB battery pack and a pair of headphones or speakers. That’s a great bonus for me, I wish more boxes had a mix input.

However…the price has suddenly dropped, which I think also happened with the Uno Synth which has subsequently had 2 new “pro” versions released. I think the uno drum seems like great value at £150 as it is but perhaps it’s worth waiting for a new version? If they “pro” this thing up I think it could be really interesting if it stays around (or under) the £300-400 mark.

Any thoughts?