IDM / Ambient Techno made on your Elektron gear

This is a song from a project I just put out. It isn’t entirely Elektron, but still has an ambient feel to it. The percussion is all Machinedrum. The rest is Access Virus C and Waldorf Pulse 2. Can’t wait to upload some new stuff from the Digitone. That thing excels at Ambient!

4 Likes

You will never find me saying no to some Waldorf synthesis! I dig it. Keep us posted about the release.

I also want to play around with the Digitone. I did a bit and came up with some cool sounds, but had no idea what I was doing. I’ve realized lately that a lot of my favorite artists used (and still do) FM synths. This vintage analogue obsession has blinded people to the fact that FM synths were producing a lot of ambient tones in the early 90s (and throughout that decade) rise of IDM and ambient techno.

2 Likes

Lots of great tracks here.
I’m not sure if this is IDM, but while I made it, and especially as I suddenly had this huge hook on my moog, I thought, “wow, that reminds me of autechre.” So I arranged the rest in this kind of taste, and I’m really happy with it. Besides the moog, a Volca fm and a Digitone were involved, and the Octatrack.
I hope you like it too.

4 Likes

The Instagram user ‘introvertmusic’ makes some cool stuff on Digitone in this vein. One of the setups I’m thinking of playing with next is a combination of the A4 and Digitone, and using Digitone for drums.

Monomachine’s FM engines are also terrific sources for sound inspiration as they can go into that ‘warped metal percussion’ territory so easily. And the Monomachine’s delay engine is another secret sauce for this kind of music.

3 Likes

he makes phenomenal stuff on all elektron machines

1 Like

His spaceship has many pleasing sound devices on which he produces sonic greatness.

One of my favorite ig accounts

3 Likes

Spaced out is tasty sounding - the kick pattern and sub bass, nice.

1 Like

Here’s something I made in the spring.

Almost everything is Digitone. I sampled DN percussion into DT.
Production treatment in Ableton Live.

6 Likes

Great track, man. Really very nice use of OT’S capabilities.

In my setup the Virus TI takes the place of your Nord Rack, and i always find it annoying that scenes do not steer the midi parts as well. I just route the TI to one of OT’s effects there, but it is a lame workaround. How do you handle this limitation?

Wow, amazing drones man! My favourite is probably flima - really great track.

Did you only use the Rytm for this? Or is the rytm only your starting point? How do you progress once you have your rytm foundation?

Some more of my stuff here:

For those that are interested in all my live snippets, there is a playlist containing all of them here:

Some of them are more idm, others less. Hope you like at least some of them.

:sunny:

3 Likes

Thanks dude!
I sequenced the four slots with different midi tracks and put the whole stereo out through a thru machine. Or I sampled it. In this case every sound was sampled. I don’t use parts so much, only in livesets.

on that track (filma) the drums are all rytm. so i normally just start making stuff on the rytm. then i track it all into Live. and work from there. so the synths are reaktor. drums in this one rytm.

I’m waiting for @xidnpnlss to join the party here :slight_smile:

Some seriously good music on this thread. Very inspiring.

1 Like

Yeah, this is cool mate.

I rarely listen to people’s ‘jams’ or ‘I’m working on this track’ etc, so when I say that I mean it - not that my opinion is of any relevance!

Beautiful. Had some fantastic nights going to oscillate especially at the que club

1 Like

Hey, glad you like it.

We will try to progress further, there’s another Synth-Guy and a quite brilliant Jazz-Guitarist waiting to join in - I’m really looking forward to see where this will take us…

1 Like

@Brandx
I think your content would perfectly fit here :slight_smile:

Wow, some of the droning distortions and reverberations in these are immense… “ligt” is my favorite.