Ideal midi synth partner for octatrack

Ok that is fanstastic :smile:

1 Like

My favorite combo so far. The K1m’s psudo-additive wavetable synthesis plus the OT’s effects and live sampling leads to some really strange, futuristic sounds. K1m is really easy to program and has decent polyphony and multitimbrality. I don’t think they’re as affordable as thy used to be (I got it in 2015 for $50 on eBay) but they’re still pretty cheap. You could get one and have enough left for a Micromonsta or something for more conventional synth sounds and still come in well under budget.

Do any of these synths work properly with OT program change messages over MIDI? I have just been painfully realising that it is completely broken in this regard with the Pulse2.

Wow!
What a forum.
Thanks for all these.
A few comments
@Unifono is right about the sequencer. Seemed a waste to spend on internal sequencer ( like A4 - altho more i look the A4 voices and effects etc are v. Tempting even if it didnt have a sequencer !)
@russv suggestion re ensoniq made me regretful - i bought one new in the 80s for £1200 by part ex - ing a gibson es175 jazz guitar which would have been worth about £6k now!!,- and then part exed the ensoniq for £100 in the 90s. :sob:
I think the latest comment/ question on the thread ( @ericd ) about octatrack and program change messages might create some useful comments so wont pull trigger till we get some responses to that. . This is all really useful . Thank you so much

1 Like

Is it possible to midi control parameters?
Audio examples?

2 Likes

what about the Nord Rack 4r? This should be even better, right?

You also gain the ability to process external signals with the Evolver. That might help make up for the fact that it’s a monosynth.

1 Like

No idea… does it?

they are really great. Especially together with the OT

Not much in the way of parameters to control via MIDI. I believe all you get is PB, MW, AT, Sustain

1 Like

Anything works. I’ve connected a ton of different gear, from Pocket Operators to an SY77.

What works great for me (not for everybody) is using a multitimbral synth because it’s so easy to build layers — copy trigs to new track, set track to different midi channel, scroll synth programs till I find a complementary sound — or I create one from scratch.

If this way appeals to you, I suggest a multitimbral that’s easy to mess with on the fly like the Blofeld, K1m, Korg 707, Roland SK-88 Pro, Micron using the XYZ knobs, JP8000, even the RS7000 (which is like a hardware version of Ableton Live’s SImpler but with many more CC assignable knobs).

I’ve also done this on rack synths that have mod matrixes with aftertouch input and/or CC inputs so I can morph the sound with one OT CC knob. So the XV5080 and others have worked really well in this mode for me.

But I like monotimbral synths too. Rocket is great, Reface DX was unbelievable – until the MIDI in stopped working this week. :frowning: It was almost like having a monotimbral Digitone.

So that’s my long-winded way of saying is that any CC synth with knobs is great but if there are no knobs, a multitimbral synth with a mod matrix can be just as good if not better.

2 Likes

just my 2cents: take an expert sleepers fh-2 with the midi breakout and combine it with an oscillator (or all of them) from noise engineering

I’ve been using my Octatrack with an Access Virus C. I setup the MIDI section of the Octatrack with channels 1-8, and create a matching multi-mode on the Virus with whatever patches I want.

I really appreciate the Virus’s multi-single mode, so I can keep a pattern playing and switch into whichever patch I want, and make manual tweaks. This is especially cool with CC learning on the Octatrack. All of this works without stopping the pattern/interrupting synth playback.

It’s also compact enough that I don’t mind playing around with the combination outside of the house:

8 Likes

Just thought I should clarify this. I’ve learned that this is an inherent limitation of the OT. If you want to be able to send program changes per trig (or during a pattern) with the OT, I think you either need a synth that can receive a cc message for program changes (if this is possible?) or use a midi events processor. @alex4nder does the multimode function mean you can be playing several patches at once?

Moog One? :rofl:

Access Virus ti is multimbral (multiple parts so can play multiple channels like multiple synths)

haha where did you take that photo? Looks like a nice combo!

That cable snake looks good. Is it a commercial one, or did you make it yourself?

1 Like

I’m sure you know, but it is worth repeating: You can do this without midi.

Get their audio into the inputs, and sample them. OT is sampler. My life got so much better when I stopped trying to get everything to record perfectly in sync and on bar lines. Just get some sounds in there. Trim, stretch, and mangle.

My favorite thing I’ve sampled with OT so far is iOS “Frum” app. Insane. It has its own sequencer/arranger and playable pads. I’ve sampled it a zillion times. So FUN!

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Down at the coffee shop.

@hrrld the snake is a Hosa balanced 8x snake I bought years ago.

@ericd Yah, I have 8 patches, each on a different MIDI channel, all playing at once. The Virus will do up to 16, and it will also accept program changes in multi-mode.

2 Likes

I use Alesis midi hub (29€) designed for iOS that runs iPad in sync and the audio out goes directly to OT.

It’s great for apps that have good midi like Moog, Apesoft, and many others.

I usually run only one app because of the weak cpu etc…

Edit: I use midi controller keyboard midi out>in to OT.
OT midi out>>to Alesis hub midi in. This way I can play/record notes in OT