Iconnectivity midi 4 in standalone mode?

@nakedbob-please do. If it works with the 2, I’ll buy one ASAP. I’ve got audio and midi working flawlessly, but can’t charge with my current setup and that keeps the iPad out at times.

Yes it works great standalone. It is heavy and built like a tank. Was very much just expecting a plastic box, but it is a high quality unit.

Configuring it looks daunting at first, but 10 mins reading the manual and using the GUI you’ll be fine. Can program 64 midi ports and channels, filters etc.

I use it for usb-midi keyboard in to OT, Vsynth and FS1R, while running FS1R editor on PC and synching Rtym & A4. It is very flexible and solves all sorts of problems.

Hooking up ipad/iphone synths to your daw is easy, midi and digital audio.
You’ll need to fiddle with asio4all to get digital audio from your ios device into your daw AND send audio out to a second card (rather than it locks back to your ios device and you can’t hear it). This use of 2 audio cards is a bit flakey on windows in general anyway and will depend on the cards you are trying to use separately for in and out. I have it working with a focusrite 2i2.

You will need to give thought to midi loopbacks and what ports you choose/elektron midi settings … which can be a bit of a headscratcher first time setting it up.

what did you do for midi settings?

[quote="“danlukas”"]

what did you do for midi settings?[/quote]
haven’t got a final plan yet, but I’ve the midi-usb keyboard going into USB host port 3, IC4 Midi 1 going to external synths and IC4 Midi 2 going to the electrons (in to OT, OT out to A4 in, A4 out to Rtym in, Rytm thru back to IC4)
OT receives notes and sends clock and notes, A4 ignores notes/receives notes depending on what I’m doing, Rtym ignores notes.

So I just set up the channels on the machines and ext synths that I want to play something. Not the final plan, but that’s where I’ve gotten to. Works nicely so far.
This evening will also try Ipad in to the Ios host usb to see if I can use it as a touch panel.

Hey @Accent, the ‘Host Port’ on the iConnectMIDI4+ will only support class-compliant MIDI devices. The ‘Host Port’ does not support audio device at this time. With the ‘Host Port’, you can connect a USB powered hub and the hardware will support (up to) 8 class-compliant MIDI devices. Keep in mind that the device(s) is actually being “hosted” by the hardware, therefore you will not actually see the hardware as a newly connected device in Windows’ 'Device Manager" or Macs ‘System Information’ menu. All the magic happens in the iConfig software, which is supported on OSX, iOS, and Winodws.

Will it work with audio+midi devices? Could I, for instance, plug an M-Audio Venom in and get the midi ports and have it ignore the audio ports? Or, does it only work if there is only midi and no audio?
I ask because I’m assuming Overbridge will add audio ports to the midi ports on the Analog Four (etc). Will the iConnectMIDI4+ still work when that goes live?

You cannot connect a USB interface or mixer to the iCM4… these are USB devices and so require a USB host port. The iCM4 has three USB device ports and one USB host port (USB Midi only)
I use the iCM4 standalone as follows…
An iPad connected to a USB hub. To this hub is connected a USB class compliant Focusrite 18i20 for iPad audio, and the iCM4 is connected to this hub. The 18i20 can perform as a standalone mixer (setup routing via PC).
The iCM4 has connections to Virus (din), Nova (din) and MC808 (din)… a SLII midi keyboard (USB host) and when needed, a USB midi connection to the computer .
its a nice box…

1 Like

I use it standalone all the time with blofeld via USB, works great.
One thing I would like to add is that the first time you use a new device, it’s best to hook it up to the iconnect and configure it via the computer first, write to hardware, then your ready to go.

Secondly, beware of units such as pad controllers, do your research before buying since these are less standardized than keyboards.

so will my arturia controller work via USB? MY plan is to connect my sub phatty, lauchpad original) arturia i want to change anyway so im not that phased with that)OT, A4… And then IPAD3 - all going to my Metric Halo which is firewire at the moment (but is changing to a USB2 so it will then work)

What’s the Arturia controller model?.

its a 49 key “the Labratory” - buggy Piece of shit. Im thinking about getting one of those little CME X25’s - really low profile

provided it is USB midi class compliant then it will work

I have an x25 and the iconnectmidi4+ and an A4. They work well together and don’t dominate my desk. I have a bad back so the ergos must be good. Reaching over stuff is a big nono.

The x25 is nice. It’s clacky in operation and playing low velocity is a challenge given the key down resistance, but I would buy again in a heartbeat. Small enough to move out of the way one handed when you don’t need it, just like an Apple external keyboard. The push pitch bend buttons are also more of an on and off than easily continuously variable but they do work. On the other hand the poly after touch does work well and is quite expressive. There is a time and a place for this style of controller and for the big weighted luxo key action monoliths. For noodling a bass or a lead it kills the A4’s button keyboard hands down. Mission accomplished.

I do not think the original Launchpads work with the iCM4+… The Launchpad S & Mini do work… the the original required driver to work with computer.
If you try it and it does work, that would be good to know.

What about the op-1?p with the iconnect?

It depends on how the driver is written. Some devices may be using the class compliant MIDI 1.0 standard, while only needing an ASIO driver for the audio aspect of the hardware. If you can connect the hardware to your computer and pass MIDI without a manufacture driver being installed, you should be good. Although, I would need to try it to be absolutely sure. We have ran into a few situations when a manufacture of MIDI hardware has claimed to be class compliant, when in fact they are not “truly” compliant with the MIDI 1.0 spec. Although, we are working on a firmware update to overcome compatibility issues with these devices and our ‘host port’.

Yes it can - The OP-1 makes a great companion/controller to the IPad.You can control IPad synth knobs,play keys,etc.There is also a neat Lemur template that lets you control the OP-1 synth engines via the IPad.You can even use iFile to backup the internal memory of the OP-1 and copy files between the two devices without using a computer or iTunes.

The two complement each other nicely.You can sample web stuff such as YouTube,etc. into the OP-1, mess around with it and then write it back into one of the many multitrack programs on the IPad such as Auria,Cubasis,etc.

Hey have you guys got a shipment on its way to awave in Melbourne? I’m one the 100 people awaiting their order

I just got mine this past week and I’m looking forward to setting it up over the weekend. I plan on running a USB hub with an MPD18, LPK25, and Nanokontrol2 plugged into as well as an iPad Mini running Lemur/touchable/synths. The MIDI ports sold me as I have MIDI capability on both my guitar pedalboards and plan on grabbing a Minitaur and external drum machine (RYTM maybe?).

Also, hello forum!

I just got mine and after all this time I cant use it because it ships with a lightning connector now not the 30 pin for my ipad 3. So another $50. JUst curious - is there anything “special” about their cables? They call it an “inline” cable but its got this little pocket that Im sure theres some circuitry in - and both the lightning and the USB2 both seem to have it… Id much rather get an adaptor or swap the cable for the right one with my dealer which should be the case… Sorry for my winge but I really need to know about this cable

check their youtube channel, lots of videos there!
i use mine 4+ every day in the studio, with ipad as audiosource or controller for hardwaresynths or controlling the computer…
you can do the programming easy on the ipad with their free app.

1 Like