I was considering a Moog Grandmother but ended up with a Matriarch

I do this a lot, I create a sequence in the matriarch and I trigger that sequence with the Dt or Dn

You can get some nice effects if you play with the trig length of the note in the Dt or Dn

What I found that can be a hassle sometimes
Is that a mis a switch for the 1/16 notes or triplets divisions settings of the arp when synced to midi

That would be a lot easier then using the dial rate/div

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve got both a Matriarch and a Grandmother. Save up for the Matriarch. Grandmother is a very great but very standard monosynth with the one unique thing being the spring reverb which I like but itā€™s not as dope as the delay on the Matriarch.

plus, as mentioned, you get the stereo filter, more utilities and modulations, keyboard has aftertouch (grandmothers does not) and obviously more octaves on the keyboard.

I love the paraphonic mode as it works differently than a polyphonic synth in the way it cuts notes off. Apparently people donā€™t like that but I think it sounds unique.

I couldnā€™t bring myself to sell my Grandmother (got it before the Matriarch came out) so I patch them together, plus you can do weird feedback loops with the spring reverb which is neat, but of the two, unless space or cost is of concern Iā€™d say get the Matriarch any day of the week.

5 Likes

Matriarch + External Spring Reverb = Winning!

2 Likes

I have had the GM for two years now. Love the sound! I have just sent it for a service- apparantly there is a flaw with some of them- the cutoff knob is very scratchy, and needs to be replaced. I googled, and Iā€™m not the only one- Moog offered to replace it. Cool.

Also- I really donā€™t like the fact that turning up the res on the filter cuts out all of the low end. I knew this before I bought, though. Shouldnā€™t complain. Is it the same on the Matriarch?

1 Like

same on any moog ladder filter afaik

4 Likes

Yes. Thatā€™s a characteristic of the Moog ladder filter. Pretty sure all of the Moog synths are like that (but Iā€™m not a historian). You can compensate for with with a multiband compressor.

3 Likes

You can use this characteristic to cut some low ends to fit in the mix.

2 Likes

Some of the posts on this Reddit thread are amusing. Peeps cannot agree on an explanation on why the low end drops when increasing filter resonance

1 Like

Well I pulled the trigger on a Matriarch Dark!!! My wife stepped up to the plate and help me get over the hump!!! Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. This will be my first legit Moog keyboard and I canā€™t explain how excited I am!

14 Likes

Thats typical for a (moog) ladder filter

There is a trick to solve this problem a bit
First you take a Hp filter where you crank up the resonance with a low setting of the hp filter( like you can do to beef up your kickdrum) and then take the Lp filter

2 Likes

Congratulations,

With the matriarch but also with your wife :wink:

Yeah hard to explain, but I know the feeling :blush:

One more tip
I still get the best results starting with a presset patch from the manual and start mangling that .
Most of the time I end up with something I like or wanted .

2 Likes

wait for the model 15 from behringer

is it just me or does the matriarch sound way better than the grandmother and the sub37 sound better than the matriarch? i wish those sub37 used prices would go down at some point soon. youā€™d think people would be selling them like crazy for the matriarch

*edit, oh i see you bought one. good call

1 Like

Have them both, altough they have that typical Moog sound they sound totally different, not better or worse, just different

2 Likes

I like the GM and Matriarch sound better than the sub37

1 Like

that makes sense. for some reason i still sometimes think newer means better but i after going back and watching old sub37 demo videos, it seems like a very unique and versatile synth of extremely high quality. all of the drive stages alone are appealing enough, but it also has this woody almost physical modelled timbre it can produce alongside that rich moog harmonic thickness

love the sound of the matriarch, but the sub37 seems like more of a wide palette. obviously the matriarch does what it does very very well

1 Like

I have the same issue with my Matriarch on two pots. Did Moog offer to repair without cost? Was it within your warranty period or after? Are you located in the US or Europe?

To me, the GM and Matriarch are pretty close in sound. Sometimes it seems like the GM is a little more direct, or has a little more punch, but that could just be in my head.

I generally like the sounds of the GM and Matriarch more than the Subā€™s, but, Iā€™ve been playing with a Sub 25 recently, and it really does some nice things that are different than the GM and Matriarch. Hitting the multidrive and using duophony mode gets some unique sounds and playing out of it. Another plus is the filter pole switching. Itā€™s great to use 18db or 12db. Also, I think the sound is greatly improved over my old Sub Phatty that I got rid of years ago. It could just be the headroom thing, but I like it a lot more.

Anyway, while I love the sounds of the GM and Matriarch, I donā€™t think you can go wrong with anything in the Moog lineup, and my favorites are still the GM and Matriarch.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been told by the vendor at Detroit Modular Trent that the Sub37 sounds a bit more aggressive and modern compared to the Matriarch which he preferred for his type music, hard techno and idm. I went with the Matriarch because I want it to be the center piece of me euro rack setup.

1 Like

This is true. Many of the GM and Matriarch circuits are based off of vintage Moog Modular, and the oscillators are from the Minimoog Voyager. The Subā€™s are definitely the modern, or contemporary Moog sound. They can get more edgy and cutting, but dialed back they can do smooth as well.

I think Iā€™ve said this before, but I wish Moog would do something like Fenderā€™s Parallel Universe, where they just switch some things up. I would love a Subsequent 37 that has the Matriarch Circuits. Being able to recall, and use that sequencer would be a blast. And why not put the modern Moog sound of the Subā€™s into the GM or Matriarch Format.

And I think it would be cool if they did something like a Matriarch, but without a keyboard, and in that rectangular box style of the Model 10 and Model 15 to sit on a desktop.

Also, and Moog you should be listening here because this idea will sell a ton: Put the Model D circuits into the Sub 37 and Sub 25. After watching other brands clone your wonderful Minimoog, just give us those circuits, and that sound, in a less expensive format. Image the sequencer and modulation of the Sub 37, but with the sound of the Model D. Keep the prices similar to what the Subā€™s are now, and watch the sales roll in.

1 Like
2 Likes