I want to try a Digitakt+iPad+guitar/pedals set up, but have no idea where to start

Hi everyone!

I’m someone who primarily has played guitar to make ambient/post-rock stuff. I recently picked up a Digitakt due to serious guitar burnout and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. Recently my MacBook died and I’ve been looking into an iPad Pro 11” to replace it for the time being after seeing the musical possibilities of it.

I’ve been daydreaming of a setup where I can pass audio from the Digitakt and iPad (seems very doable now after CC USB update) but also input guitar sounds into the iPad simultaneously that could be the forwarded to the Digitakt. I would also love to add a midi controller like a Keystep to add software synths and allow easy chromatic sample playing as well.

Does this all seem possible simultaneously or am I biting off more than I can chew? I’m already assuming I’d need a USB-C audio interface and a USB hub minimum.

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head, re: USB hub and audio interface. All of what you are wanting to do is completely do-able.

Awesome!! Thank you very much.

1 Like

I think you should re-read the post.
What the op wants is not at all possible.
You can’t use multiple audio interfaces on iOS, and you can’t make an aggregate audio device on iOS.

Doh, thanks. I missed that. Ya, would have to run the audio out of the DT into a USB interface.

With guitar stuff I’d recommend a looper you can midi sync with the DT.

1 Like

Dang it, alright. Seems like I could do an approximation of what I wanted do still though. DT + Guitar > Interface > iPad.

I could still use MIDI to send clock and CC right? Just no audio via usb.

Yes!

I had an Ipad 10 years ago, sold, now I have an Iphone with the camera kit, I’m curious if there are good looper apps you can midi sync, with midi control…

I’ve been looking into this one to try out first!

1 Like

So you have an idea of what can be controlled.

1 Like

This is a good looper (multiple tracks, input fx, output fx, pitch tuning, good UI) but for me it is at times unstable when I use it as AUv3 insert and currently it can only be used once in an AUM session (eg I wanted to insert this into my incoming vocal and guitar channels respectively, but that’s not possible. Only one instance per session).

Enso for me is more stable but isn’t quite as flexible as L7. Nevertheless a good option, not least because with Enso, one instance per track is no problem. The start point and length thing is also cool. And the effects that come with Enso sound nice too.

Of course there’s also Loopy HD and Quantiloop Pro, both very good loopers but both don’t work as AUv3 plugins so it must be either IAA or use either as host (Quantiloop hosts AUv3s also). I personally find IAA to much of a pain to route.

1 Like

Not sure if you mean you want two separate instances of it, but can you achieve what you want by having L7 on it’s own AUM channel and having your guitar and vocal tracks output to the input of the L7 channel? L7 is a lot of fun in AUM.

yes I meant more than one instance. that’s not possible currently. Sure, one could put L7 on an aux channel and send the track to loop to it, that should work :slight_smile:

While I can’t comment on looper apps for iOS, I will point out that there are a few bus powered interfaces that will work with the newer USB-C iPad Pros. Check out the MOTU M2 and M4, and the updated Steinberg UR-C range…I just picked up the UR44C from Sweetwater for $300…it’s a 6-in, 4-out interface with 2 separate headphone outputs, MIDI I/O, and onboard DSP for reverb, guitar amp sims, and a channel strip.

I would have probably gone for the MOTU M4 had they been in stock anywhere, but I’m quite happy with what I got.

Maybe you can use this:

GuitarJack Stage

Awesome!! I was looking in to the UR22C model, looks just right for an iOS setup. My needs may necessitate a UR44C so I can send two stereo signals in however.