I want to sue Eminem

I’ve been accumulating my modular tracks under a series called “music to be murdered 2,” which I also post some on SoundCloud. I won’t link to it because I think my account here provides a public link and also because my tracks aren’t exactly tearing up the world. But they’re mine, and now this Eminiem-person has pulled an Ariana Grande on me by dropping an album entitled “music to be murdered by.” I don’t claim to be half the musician Ms. Grande is even if I am prettier, but honestly wtf. My semi-modular series of cacophony is called “music to tie off 2,” which I had the consideration to wait until Sam Kinison died before I stole that line. Can I cash in on this face-stomping I’ve taken?

4 Likes

Given how well Eminem’s bars about Arianna’s Manchester gig have gone down I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

3 Likes

Your in the credits on the back cover. Royalties are usually paid quarterly.

4 Likes

You gave me a good chuckle. I assume it was half tongue in cheek. But anyway, an album title isn’t copyrighted but you can’t use copyrighted phrases in it apparently. So, basically you’re fine, but your likelihood of coming up in Google ahead of Eminem and Ariana is slim (pun not intended but kept in anyway).

For a fuller answer: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-use-a-pre-existing-album-name-for-your-album

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I knew that about titles. I was honestly tweaked for a second, but quickly realized how dumb that was. But still, it’s me who looks like the douche to anyone who stumbles across my SC, and I’d be an even bigger douche if I added a note pleading “no, no I was there first!”

1 Like

OK, now we’ve covered all tracks.

2 Likes

:rofl:

It’s ice ice baby all over again

I actually like that tune for itself. It’s too bad that once a lot of money is involved you can’t just freely quote and re-conceptualize stuff you like. That’s the culture I came out of, and tracks I see getting sued seem to me enough un-like the original that it could just be left up to listeners, at least in my utopia.

1 Like

They can’t stop you taking it, they can stop you profiting from it though

1 Like

For your information, I think I remember on Buck65 ´square’ album, a sample of someone saying « music to be murdered by ».

1 Like

shit, that puts paid to my new Krautrock album “Vorsprung Durch Technik, I’m Lovin’ It -Just Do It”

3 Likes

Oh man please send his team a cease and desist letter. I need a good laugh.

Years ago Eminem’s “people” inquired about licensing the rights to make a movie from a book one of my best friends had written (I’m assuming Eminem would have played the lead character - a basketball player in a post apocalyptic world). Ultimately they didn’t reach any agreement.

:joy:

Dundee stole my theft!

Or wait, he stole my victimization, or whatever–you know what I mean

3 Likes

You can’t copyright a title.

Dundee rapper is rhyming slang for toilet.
I’ve been enjoying your pulsar posts.

I may have a stronger case here… 2012

Maybe some of the elektron-users crew will testify.