I want to learn how to play keyboard

I started taking piano lessons online a few months ago - i didn’t think I could fit them in, or that learning online would be good.

It’s actually pretty great, the lessons take… the length of the lesson (no getting there, setting up, getting home). If time is an issue, if you can fit in time to practice, you can fit lessons over zoom in. Just a thought.

1 Like

Begin by clearly defining your objectives.

It’s a big world and your objectives can be very different to others, so there is no one approach to accomplishing those very different objectives. Define your objectives — finding methods to accomplish them comes from that.

I hesitate to lists options, to limit your exploration, but just to get you started, i’ve made this jumble.

• Performance, jazz trio, acoustic piano, comping, sight reading, swinging rhythms, playing from fake books.
  • Personal enjoyment, melody with accompaniment, pop styles and rhythms, light synthesis.
  • Singer songwriter, like XXXX.
  • Composition, harmonic exploration, playing from ear, ear training, music in my fingers.
  • Playing some simple songs for sing alongs, and small groups, party entertainment, synth piano.
  • Start a band, prog rock with bass, drum, guitar and keys.
  • Artistic expression, in pursuit of personal fulfillment, abstract and avant garde, electronic sounds.
  • Write classical music, so developing enough keyboard skills to facilitate that sort of musical composition.
  • I really have no idea, but I don’t want to waste time, so i’ll get started developing skills on an Osmose ( or whatever ) and check back to formalize my objectives in six months.

Write down your own objectives, and think about it, and explore those ideas for a week or more. Then you can move on to create your plan, perhaps with some help – a music coach / mentor ? – on how to follow that dream.

1 Like

Great thread. Now for the big question:
Will 49 keys be enough? For some of us, space is a premium so it all about what we can fit on a desk…

Best advice I can offer is to keep having fun and continue to explore. If you are not having fun you dont wanna play or you feel forced to play and that always sounds wrong in some way.
There is many ways to enjoy learning and to find enjoyment it really helps to know what you wanna play. And if you feel what you want its so much easier to find out which chords, melodies and rhythms that fit that style of music.
Since you are already into programming music it can be a lot of fun to just play and loop a nice chord progression and just try out scales on top. Or loop a bassline and try all kinds of chords.
Or try to play bach or a popsong you really enjoy.
When doing al this enjoy and put your soul into it. Keep honest as well about how it sounds as having a good tone will sound way better than being able to play all the hard chords and riffs without having a good tone.
Remember its a feeling and a story you are telling and that music is not about showcasing how good you are, but about sharing how much you are feeling.
I have seen great technical players on stage playing difficult songs and be boring as hell. And i have seen players that technically are still on a base level playing easy songs. But by playing what they can with so much passion they took the crowd for a magical performance.
I a sense its like learning a new language. And some people have nothing interesting to say even when being native speakers. Others hardly know the language but catch everybodies attention by how they communicate they few words they know in that language.
This doesnt meant that you shouldnt develop your technique. As having a great technique will always support telling your story better. But in the end its always still about the story.
So how do you start: well, pick something you like and start having fun with it. Wish you good luck on your road and keep sharing if you are getting stuck with certain pieces so we can advise you here to get out of your rut and keep progressing while having fun.

8 Likes

Wow.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a complete reply and thanks for kindling my inpiration to keep progressing.

I´d say 49 keys is the absolute minimum. I can live with that,
but I´d recommend more keys for actually playing piano style.
I´d also recommend to find good basic sounds (piano, e piano, organ …)
you like and stick to that when practicing. don´t get distracted by
presets, knobs, filters…
I´d also recommend getting a hold pedal.
edit: a music stand is very helpful, too

1 Like

Reviving this thread.

This is Johnatha Bastos. Multi-instrumentalist, who plays drums, guitar and keyboards.

See his YT channel here.

An arranger keyboard can be fun and useful for learning.

The auto-accompaniment provides drums, bass, etc. while you play, in a style of your choice. Arrangers typically come with hundreds of musical styles to choose from. Your left hand is used to specify the harmony. If you don’t know any chords, one left hand note will default to a major triad (chord). The more chords you learn, though, the more fun you’ll have.

So while you’ll need to develop some hand independence to get good use out of an arranger, you won’t need as much as someone who has committed to playing the Bach Inventions, Chopin etudes, or anything like that, in front an audience. You just need enough to be able to change your left hand chord shape in time with the auto-accompaniment, while playing the melody or whatever with your right hand.

So if your goal with the keyboard is just to upgrade from the hunt-and-peck style of note entry on a keyboard, to a more efficient skill level - and you don’t aspire to be a world class concert pianist - this could be a useful investment.

Oh and a lot of arranger keyboards double as linear MIDI sequencers.

I’m in the same boat. Long time guitar player, but want to learn synth since I just invested in a Prophet. My plan is to get the Bach pieces but also Bartok Microkosmos which is 153 progressive pieces. Between Bartok and Bach you’ve covered quite a bit of ground and the Bartok is closer to the sound I’d be looking for.

1 Like

The name alone makes this sound like I should look into it! (Also keen to improve my keyboard skills.)

2 Likes

I reckon if I can play Bach with my left hand and Bartok with my right I can open a portal.

4 Likes

I have bad news for you… If you can play Art Tatum with both hands, only then you could open a portal.

5 Likes

Keyboard knowledge is underrated and keyboard entry is overrated, imo. I’ve played a lot of piano in my life. It helps me understand how to enter notes and chords on my Digitone. But I use the DN as a standalone device. No keyboard connected.

To anyone wanting to learn piano: Make sure you are also learning how to read music.

3 Likes

Random Youtube recommendation find. The Twinkle Twinkle Little Star examples look fun to play with. After some time with those, maybe I can start working on the Quincy Jones song he recommends - the Vidami pedal is so useful for this kind of stuff, btw.

1 Like

I decided to go a different way and learn playing on an isomorphic keyboard. Progressed way faster than I did on a piano, but quickly hit a wall as a Launchpad was too small for two hands. Got another one recently, gonna play them like a poor man’s Linnstrument now.

Linnstrument is the ultimate keyboard imo.

This is an excellent point. And lovely.

1 Like

Feeling is for wimps. Show me bucket-loads of notes at top speed, and I’ll show you a good musician.

Actually, I believe music is big enough to accommodate both deep-hearted feeling and cold, calculated virtuosity.

I performed on a pops concert with Marvin Hamlisch. I would characterize his piano playing as an interplay between unsentimental rushing through transitional bits…and expressive slowing on the more thematic parts . Rubato. His playing would’ve been far less interesting had he attempted to emphasize everything. Everything = Nothing.

Maybe, now that we have so many machines to play music, we’ve lost our interest in humans playing like machines. Back in the day there were fewer machines. No one would accuse you of playing like a soul-less machine.

Speaking of Mikrokosmos, I was going to use that to upgrade my keyboard skills, but my coworker who is also a piano teacher talked me out of it. She felt my last formal piano teacher had me on the better path by having me work through the Alfred’s All-In-One for adults books. I don’t recall her exact comments, but a good music teacher strives to use lesson materials that are appropriate for each individual student, so I think her reasoning was along those lines.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting thread:

Promoters of isometric layouts frequently talk about how easy it is to transpose a chord or scale up or down. While this is a logical setup, I question whether it is a musical setup. Parallelism, in western music theory, is considered bad. Because the individual voices lose their independence and voice-leading goes out the window.

That doesn’t preclude you from playing with proper voice-leading / counterpoint on an isometric keyboard. However, many of the videos of isomorphic keyboard performers featured them shifting chords and motives in parallel. And I only found a couple examples of voice-independent playing in the videos I watched. One of them featured someone playing a Bach 2-part invention with an isomorphic layout on an iPad.

For better or worse, western music and western music theory are tied pretty closely to the traditional piano keyboard layout. I’m trying to imagine how much work it’d take to approach my current piano-chops…on a different keyboard layout. Seems like mental gymnastics, the kind of thing you would do to avoid getting Alzheimer’s.

2 Likes

I use Melodics. Yeah there’s definitely cheaper (or free) ways you can learn, but it has a nice structure and it’s interactive (like a game), which is the main selling point for me.

Some people say it’s a scam while others say it’s the most amazing thing ever. It’s neither. It’s simply just another tool amongst all the others out there. I do think it is a very good product though.

What I really like is the interactive practice session before each song (or scale) that shows you what finger is supposed to be used for each note. This almost instantly made me a better keys player. It sounds simple, but I used to be ‘finger pecky’ when playing on the keyboard and would rarely use my pinky/thumbs. I am much more fluid (and faster) now.

You can try it free, but are limited to only a few sessions a day I believe.