I want to change my MD. Good idea?

I know the machinedrum is amazing but I’m fed up with its sound. I would like a more analog and raw sound. I was thinking of taking a DFAM + a second box with modules for the DFAM… So yes no save, bank, etc. but raw and analog. And i have a A4 so i can use it with DFAM

Do you have any other BR ideas? I don’t like the sound of Rythm.

(my actual setup MD / A4 / DN)

:slight_smile:

Both the A4 and DN are amazing for percussion sounds. Get a sampler and sample them.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my DFAM, but if you got bored of the MD, you’ll probably get bored of the DFAM pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Indeed, that is what worries me. quickly get bored by the DFAM.
And yes … i love the drum on DN. I also hesitated to take a second DN for drums.

1 Like

Instead of a second DN, get a Digitakt. Then you can sample the DN drum sounds and mangle them in new and interesting ways on the Digitakt.

2 Likes

I had a Digitakt, but sold. I just don’t like sampling : (

1 Like

Buy Analog heat and play MD through it!
Don’t forget to use its envelope follower and modulation features

3 Likes

Maybe something like the Pulsar 23 might be what you’re looking for. It’s not cheap and there’s a bit of a waiting list but it can do pretty much everything the DFAM can do plus about a million other things.

1 Like

Haha yes the Pulsar23 is on my top list but yes… price ! Maybe I just have to wait for the money.

1 Like

Sell MD = Bad Idea

Machinedrum has been my boomerang machine for nearly 20 years, I always re-bought after selling. I don’t dare now with the way prices are going up.

13 Likes

Sound like a classic MD story haha… I know isn’t the best idea to sell it. this is the first machine where I hesitate to sell.

1 Like

If there is hesitation it means you shouldn’t sell. I only sell stuff which fills me with anger, not quite Marie Kondo but it works for me.

5 Likes

…if ur deep into md workflow, but tired of it’s sound, why not running it through something…?

i mean, hey, the analog heat, for example, gives even the cheapest plastic sounds a truu analog feel…and can turn whatever u feed it with inside out and back…all classic analog filters on board and ready to sweep the hell out of it’s input signals, not to mention that envelope follower and lfo can vibrate and flurry around from subtle to totally weird…

don’t sell a groove monster ur so familiar with…u’ll regret it pretty soonish…just add some new flavours to it…or trade it for the sample add on version…

3 Likes

Hahaha…I just imagined the anti-kondo asking: Do you feel the “spark of hate”? :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed, i will check some video of both !

can you add a + drive or if you have one freshen it up…

i have the SMPS 1 MKII no UW. I can send it to elektron to add a +Drive ?
Or may be you speak about a drive ?

Yes with it being an MKII then you should be able to add a +drive.

In the UK it costs £240 GBP (inc p&p). not sure prices elsewhere but prob similar…

I had an MK1 and they won’t do it for them, so ended up selling and buying a UW+

Good to know : ) So why not a +Drive and a pedal to warm the sound… I have the EHX Lb2 tube in mind but looking for some proposition. Or a multiprocessor 4 in 4 out will be perfect. I know isn’t a good idea to sell it haha

I quite often put my DFAM into the MD inputs and use them both as a mega drum machine.
MD output used to advance the DFAM sequencer. it’s a cool combo. Probably not the answer you were looking for :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was growing tired of the Machinedrum’s digital character awhile back and considered selling. What helped a lot was to expand / modify the sound pallette. This was achieved with the help of an MFB 522 running through the MD inputs. At the end of the chain lies a Strymon Deco that adds a nice tape saturation. I get the best of digital / quirky percussion and traditional analog, plus roll off the highs a little bit with the Strymon. I love the combo and using the MD sequencer for the MFB 522 makes things very convenient.

1 Like