I want an instrument which i can feel connected to

Perhaps a different angle but for me it’s harder to connect with new stuff coming of from production line. I always felt this electricity when playing old dusty, beaten up instruments.
Its like giving it another life and you bond with it quickly.

I’m taking Crumars, Polara but even my trusty jx3p feels like entity full of character compared to anything relatively new.

1 Like

this has been my thought lately… especially because for many years i played the saxophone… i think i’d love playing synths with a wind controller

I’m waiting on the Photon for simultaneous voice and wind control, and—not having a long tube—no condensation drip

2 Likes

I think this is an crucial part for connecting to an instrument for me. When playing aucustic or amped instruments in different environments i often get baffled by how much the physical sound interaction affect the way i connect/interact with my music. Having my synth setup in an apartment there is limtits though…

Ohhh man I’ve been GASsin for a nord rack 2x for a month now.

1 Like

I’m very much in the honey moon phase, but the more I play with it the more I sense that it’s pretty special.

It’s a bare bones synth but the parameter ranges are vast which can send this synth into bonkers land by the twist of a knob, that sort of happy accident fodder is lovely…

2 Likes

Please reveal your sources of cheap as chips dx7s! They go for crazy prices now

Got mine off here for 100 notes last summer.

They regularly go on eBay for way under £400, and if you’re not afraid of soldering a battery and replacing a screen (which requires basically zero skill) they can be had even cheaper.

1 Like

Seems to be working out great :slight_smile:

Sheesh, I’ve never seen one for less than $700 here.

Nonlinear C15 too pricy?

3 Likes

I got just what you need :wink:

7124613_800

Hook this bad boy up to your baby grand piano and become lost in a world of aural ecstacy.

giphy

2 Likes

You can try Echigoya Music online. I got mine for like $300 but that was almost 1 &1/2 year ago.

I had the module for a little while. Wished I could have afforded the full keys version. I really enjoyed it in a lot of ways, but I’m just a sucker for analog and I would constantly run it through my minibrute’s filter to warm it up. But it does have a great feel and such so far as all the hands on control and snappy program change. Hope it works out for you on that third option. Really liked what you have going on in your video, definitely a nice mellow, spacey vibe!

1 Like

Related (kind of)
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252194

I’m embarking on a project to build a portable sound projecting platform, ideally for use with a small modular case. A contained electronic “instrument”, a complete device.

I thought i might be quaint to give an update on this topic.

Ive roughly had the Lead 2 for two months and the verdict is that i LOVE it.

It is quirky, beefy, lively, simple, deep, etc.

even though it doesnt have aftertouch or any of that, just how the synth engine responds to velocity makes it feel really organic, this was the same things with Nord Drum 2.

It excels in plucks some patches respond beautifully to playing the keys in different velocities.
Im guessing the newer leads are even better at this.

The FM part and Filter Resonance is straight up WHACKY. putting the resonance beyond 12´o clock makes it do some really weird and wonderful aliasing stuff which im guessing was not a feature when they designed this synth. never the less i love it.

the keybed is not bad, but its not the best ive played either.

to sum it up, this was exactly what i was looking for and my set up feels a lot more complete, depending on the mood i now have the tools to space out or to be very specific and program.

i recommend this synth to anyone.

7 Likes

I decided to bring this thread up again to see if there are new ideas.

Particularly, I would like to know your thoughts on sequencers as expressive tools.

Did you ever play a sequencer so expressive that it felt like an instrument?

Yes, and I don’t bother with sequencers that don’t. I guess it depends how you define instrument though.

1 Like

0-ctrl + Intellijel Scales comes close for me. Very hands on and fun to explore.

1 Like

This is how I feel about the OP-Z once you get used to it, there’s almost no gap between idea and execution.

2 Likes