I’ve bought a Digitone!

I’ve been hankering after an elektron box since the first machine drum but never had the funds or time. I had an abortive attempt with a model samples a short while back but I wanted the full fat experience and also realised I prefer to work with synthesis so I’m properly starting out on my elektron journey with a second hand digitone arriving next week. I am it is safe to say super excited!

21 Likes

Congratulations, it’s awesome! Enjoy the ride!

I just got one recently as well! So much fun so far!

I want to say congratulations as well. Have fun. I got mine a while ago but it still feels like a new experience every time I use it.

This forum is a great resource if you have questions or want some ideas or inspiration.

Nice! I think it’s wonderful, if a little hard to approach at first.

It’s dangerous to go alone, take this!

3 Likes

coming from Octatrack, i was already familiar with Elektron sequencing, but the thing i wished i’d learned right away was to use the Sound Manager [Function+Sound Manager] to add a bunch of sounds to the pool and then start building tracks. The Sound Manager is so much more powerful, i wish it didn’t need a Function button to access.

2 Likes

Hahaha, watched every video in there. I am expecting the Digitone Keys this week so i watched a lot of Digitone content.

1 Like

Congratz! its a dope machine. Wasn’t that exited about it at first, got one anyway, I was totally wrong, now it’s one of my favorite boxes.

1 Like

Well it’s here, it’s immaculate (it’s second hand) and I am blown away by what this (really) little box can do. It’s already impressed me with it’s sound and depth and I love the electron sequencing so now I need to start diving in.

1 Like

Congrats! Now you own one of the best synths on earth. Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

A trick I found interesting: I now keep bank P for the Pool. When I start a new project, I just load the Bank into the Pool, and have a list of bread and butter Sounds to choose from.

@bangaio when you find you are getting always the same kind of sounds, don’t throw it away too fast: it’s most likely that you explored only one facet of this gem.
My favorite screen nowadays is the second page of OSC1: a slight detune and the sound is not the same. Sometimes it makes it possible to keep a LFO for something else than pitch, and you’re entering AFX microtuning territories…

10 Likes

Awesome, man! I got tired of searching around and started collecting all the instructional videos I’d spot for reference. I’m happy to hear it’s helpful, but credit to all the wonderful people taking the time to explain it the way they do. :heart:

1 Like

That’s a good point on the bank. I have my own tag that I just grab all of them and add them to the sound pool. I have 30-40 “go-to” patches that can be tweaked.

4 Likes

Exactly sir !

1 Like

Contrats! I own many of the Elektron boxes, and I think the Digitone remains my favorite so far, even over my Analog Four. It’s just so versatile. The biggest surprise for me was how I could get such great sounding drum tracks with the Digitone.

Quick tip for drums that I use A LOT:

If you want 2 drum sounds to hit the same trig (for example you want a snare to hit with the kick drum), just place the snare next to the kick, and use micro timing to nudge the snare over so that it hits with the kick. With 8 voices total, you’ll still have 6 voices left for your synths, but watch out for voice stealing if your synth tracks have lots of chords.

I wish I could use that trick with the Analog Four, but with only 4 voices, it only leaves 2 voices left for synths, which I can’t really justify, haha!

You will love the Digitone. 8 voices, 4 tracks, good effects an amazing sequencer!

1 Like

By the way, in such configuration with a kick and a snare almost at the same time (1 microtiming between them) you can avoid the first sound to be cut abruptly by choosing two different notes for the trigs.

3 Likes

Absolument !!! @LyingDalai
2nd page of OSC1 is also a real playground for me.

Digitone is a place of wonders if you like the weird and the unknown…and you’re always 0.10 increment of any parameters to create a whole new world.

So yes, indeed… Congrats to you @bangaio !

2 Likes

Really good idea!