I think Octatrack is the new mpc

my beat,rap! thans

17 Likes

Weirdly nice.

1 Like

LOVE IT. Weirdly nice is right!

Nice!

Funny you say OT is new MPC, I notice a lot of hip hop guys seem to be using it lately which is really great to see. I think the slice workflow seems more like a legacy MPC than the new MPCs, simple and quick and more direct. Combine with scenes and xfader and it for sure is a hip hop powerhouse.

6 Likes

Enjoyed that very much

Funny when I purchased the OT I saw it as a modern SP1200 with advanced features (wish the triggers were velocity sensitive that would be the ultimate upgrade for me)
The OT and MPC imho really compliment each other this really sold me on that combo
LINK :MPC + OT
Funny thing I ended up selling the LIVE I didn’t like the workflow and form factor but have since purchased the MPC One to replace the Live.

3 Likes

I definitely see the OT as the new MPC, it’s certainly more fun than the MPC and much more capable.
Glad to see the OT finally being used by artists in different genres than straight techno.

4 Likes

I dunno, lazy chop ftw imo

5 Likes

Is the last one regarding faster slicing by Ricky on MK2 available on MK1?..the trig perimeter options btn MK1 vsMK2 blk

good question, I would assume but I don’t have an octatrack

Yup ! Very versatile glad to see it being used more in HipHop

2 Likes

When you use the 2 together like that 2 minute video above, it can be glorious.

That said, I sold my MPC One and just use the OT with my MacBook now.

3 Likes

my digitakt and mpc are joined at the hip

1 Like

Once you get the OT it is a lot faster to use for most (but not all) things than the MPC.

Obviously they both have strengths and weaknesses, and I like both, but I use the OT a lot more - for heavy scale or more complex stuff the MPC is great, for quick and performance playing the OT is better IMHO.

1 Like

Surely mpcs are the new mpcs :wink:

I think they are 2 different machines in a good way. Yes the octa can sound like classic mpc hip hop but user experience is totally different

I think octa is a great hip hop machine in its own right with its own sound and style. Doesn’t need to replace the mpc and can just be an alternative with an alternative vibe if ya get me :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice find with the Ricky Tinez OT slicing vid. His approach doesn’t turn the OT into Sample Robot but it’s still useful info.

I notice in the other two vids, the MPC was not eliminated by the Octatrack. Instead, they’re using them together.

There’s no auto sampling functionality for the Octatrack. The slicing functions are nice to have, but the workflow is not as quick and convenient as the auto sampling on MPC Live 2

Octatrack is nothing like the MPC. But the MPC crowd is learning the value, the coolness, of Elektrons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the vids posted by the OP so far showcase the OT more as an improvisational instrument for playing with samples, while the MPC plays the beats and any multi-samples that needed to be mapped to keys.

I recall iVardensphere’s posts from when I used to be on what is now ModWiggler. Seems like a smart fellow.

I can see why the pads could be better with the way it is at times finger drumming. Been bringing me back to an app on my phone for the fun of drumming on it.

Got to do a link shout out to VoltageCtrlRtv
rocking The OT and Modbap.

6 Likes